Sponsored

Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons)

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Love the rockhard aluminum
Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 1BB56419-7C5F-403F-BD2D-AA105A7CB0CF
Loooking good!! :like:
Thanks for sharing.
Ughh.. I still can't decide. Tonight I am leaning towards Rockhard aluminum. Tomorrow? Who knows. Thanks again -

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was on the fence too, price convinced me. Aluminum bumper I liked, if damaged, required an entire replacement, the steel Arcus only needed a new stamped piece of steel since the mounting is not all one piece. (hardware stacks/sandwiches). Think the replacement steel is like $150 to your door. (Call RR to confirm, it’s been a while).

I live near the ocean, plenty of beach time (salt), I wash it when I get home, wd40 to get the water out of the joints, no rust (going on 8 months). It’s work though, but I have OCD, so I don’t mind.

Good luck đź‘Ť

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 1BB56419-7C5F-403F-BD2D-AA105A7CB0CF

Which license plate/3rd brake light is that? - Thanks again for sharing the pics. Super clean, tasteful build!

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Which license plate/3rd brake light is that? - Thanks again for sharing the pics. Super clean, tasteful build!
Thanks!

It’s a hodge podge of Rough country plate holder, rugged ridge third brake light for the factory light and Quadratec’s license plate light.
But a miss on the rough country plate holder is that the holes snapped a couple months bouncing around back there. Seems the edge distance isn’t enough to prevent metal fatigue.

Long story short, I drilled new mount holes way up into the flange, but this made it impossible to mount the 3rd brake light kit due to the lower position of the plate bracket, so I wound up going with a behind the spare led ring style (not my personal favorite) but keeps me legal (sort of, not officially DOT approved but my LE folks say it will do).

I picked one that when off you couldn’t tell was there (it has a smoked lens over the leds). So it’s not to obvious it’s there

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!

It’s a hodge podge of Rough country plate holder, rugged ridge third brake light for the factory light and Quadratec’s license plate light.
But a miss on the rough country plate holder is that the holes snapped a couple months bouncing around back there. Seems the edge distance isn’t enough to prevent metal fatigue.

Long story short, I drilled new mount holes way up into the flange, but this made it impossible to mount the 3rd brake light kit due to the lower position of the plate bracket, so I wound up going with a behind the spare led ring style (not my personal favorite) but keeps me legal (sort of, not officially DOT approved but my LE folks say it will do).

I picked one that when off you couldn’t tell was there (it has a smoked lens over the leds). So it’s not to obvious it’s there
So I can officially say that I have been doing too much research on bumpers, tire carriers, plate and 3rd brake relocation kits, etc. because I actually correctly guessed exactly that for your plate/brake light set up. I think it may be time to take a little break haha!
Seriously though, thanks very much for the info.

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I did way to much research, too and decided on the RH. I plan to eventually flat tow and like the fact that the RH is lighter and can be used to flat tow without a plate. Installation was super easy. Plus, it looks damn good on a 2 door Sarge Green Rubi. I have the RH aluminum back bumper on order.

54C44D14-5365-496D-BFE3-8A8E37AB1E41.jpeg

Omotose

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Extreme Recon
That RH mid with the low winch plate is what I have on order for my 4 door Sarge green Rubicon. I’m hoping the Badlands 12k Apex winch fits in there well.

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone cracked an aluminum bumper yet?
I have not. I would be very surprised if they did. I went with the Rockhard aluminum bumpers front and rear, and they are built extremely well. Great products. Not sure on other brands' quality but these are very strong.

Dejscoalregion

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
Anyone cracked an aluminum bumper yet?
Resurrecting older threads, but would love to know if anyone can share their opinion on aluminum's strength. I am looking at the Rock Hard patriot as well and wondering on damage/survivability of it.

Sponsored

Dejscoalregion

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
I have a RH Patriot Aluminum front. I've used my 9,500 lb winch a few times, flat-towed 20,000+ miles and banged it on rocks many times. No issues in 2 1/2 yrs. On the rear is an aluminum GenRight and it's been rock banged a couple time and is still aligned with body contours.
Thanks for the direct feedback. Appreciate the insights - really helpful!

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the rockhard aluminum front and rear. Have winched a few times, and the rear has taken some pretty hard hits, Just scratches, no movement at all. The front is a stubby so has not actually been hit yet, but the front skid (their steel one that bolts to the aluminum stubby) has taken some abuse, and same thing, no movement at all. Great products.

661xcursions

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Does anybody know of an aluminum rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier? I currently have the Rock Hard Patriot up front. Don’t see one on their website.

Dejscoalregion

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
Does anybody know of an aluminum rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier? I currently have the Rock Hard Patriot up front. Don’t see one on their website.
Can't answer that question, but... are you happy with the Patriot?

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a ton of bumper research before settling on mine, and I did not find any aluminum with swing away tire carrier unfortunately.
That being said I went with Rustys Offroad tailgate carrier/hinge replacement. That thing is STOUT! I believe they said it is rated for up to 40", and I believe it. It is a real nice piece, and the tailgate actually works better than it did when stock.
Sponsored