Sponsored

Turbo Temperatures (for those monitoring)

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
Just wondering what an appropriate turbo temperature would be when shutting off the engine? The manual recommends idling for a short period before shutting down to allow the turbo to cool. I’ve recently installed a scan gauge II and have the ability to monitor turbo temps. I’m curious what others are doing. Thanks.
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I do it at or below 400 which takes about 30 - 40 seconds idling after a highway drive. It includes a 3-4 minutes of sedate driving at 30 mph with one stop light from the exit to my subdivision. It is usually at 450F by the time I pull into my driveway.

I am also using ScanGuage.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I too think 400 is a pretty decent number. If you've been running it easy-ish, it can get down to 375 pretty quick as well, but I've seen where it slows quite a bit trying to get down past 380. So I told my wife to shoot for 400.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I usually wait till the low 400's like 430 before shutting down.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Do you guys know if I get a banks gauge and throttle controller if a) I’ll be able to monitor this and regens and b if I can still plug in a Tazer mini

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lookthermo

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
I cannot say with certainty that it will work regarding the banks gauge and throttle controller. For me, I use the scangauge and tazer JL Mini together. They plug into different places. The scangauge uses the OBD2 port and the tazer plugs in where the gateway mudule is.

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
Isn't there some sort of cooler that stays running to cool the turbo down even after you shut off the engine? I've never even thought about turbo temps until I saw this thread as the dealer told us to expect to hear something running after you shut off the engine...something related to the turbo?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Isn't there some sort of cooler that stays running to cool the turbo down even after you shut off the engine? I've never even thought about turbo temps until I saw this thread as the dealer told us to expect to hear something running after you shut off the engine...something related to the turbo?
There is that 3 minute buzzing sound and it is assumed to be coolant pump but there is no official confirmation so far. I asked a couple of service advisors in different dealerships and both said it is by design but gave different reasons for it.

But the manual does have instructions on idling before turning the ignition off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo Temperatures (for those monitoring) 1613168671177

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
That is the rumor. No one has definitively shown that it is a fact though. Either from programming or testing electrical signals. Just a lot of "this is just like this other platform and that engine does it, so this one does too."

I mean, can you take that to the bank and cash it?

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
Interesting - I didn't see that part of the manual - will have to make a conscious effort to let it idle when stopping!

I was playing around with offroad pages today - sure would have been nice if they showed you turbo temps in there hey?

Sponsored

ZiggSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Which pid is everyone using to monitor the turbo temp?

exhaust temp 1? is that the right one? Its the one I've been using haha

Last edited:

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Which pid is everyone using to monitor the turbo temp?

exhaust temp 1? is that the right one? Its the one I've been using haha
Yes.
EGT 1 with Scangauge II.

Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo Temperatures (for those monitoring) 1613488499505

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Do you guys know if I get a banks gauge and throttle controller if a) I’ll be able to monitor this and regens and b if I can still plug in a Tazer mini
Just got the iGage and pedal monster from Banks and installed yesterday will keep you posted still learning all the functions.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Just got the iGage and pedal monster from Banks and installed yesterday will keep you posted still learning all the functions.
Please let us know what you think of the Pedal Monster. I heard reviews for several throttle enhancers, but not that one.
Sponsored