First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Looking for some suggestions/recommendations! I'd like front and back dash cams that are easily detached for safekeeping. We go to a ton of kids' baseball tournaments and don't want to leave them out for easy taking when the top is down. I'm not worried about what happens while I'm parked I guess, and want it mostly for potential road issues. Thanks in advance to all!
Sponsored

Shamwedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S | 2 Door | 6 Speed | Hydro
This guy is the holy grail of information when it comes to, radar detectors, laser jammers, and dash cams. A very well respected resource.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Pete, you might rethink removal when unattended. Having front/rear cams, motion and shock detection has been valuable to me on more than one occasion. Knowing that someone has been looking but hadn't touched yet allowed me to take preventative measures. I got to see exactly what happened with the wife's fender bender.

Plus, it allows me to see all the people gawking at my "RUBICON" JT.:giggle:

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
This guy is the holy grail of information when it comes to, radar detectors, laser jammers, and dash cams. A very well respected resource.

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Pete, you might rethink removal when unattended. Having front/rear cams, motion and shock detection has been valuable to me on more than one occasion. Knowing that someone has been looking but hadn't touched yet allowed me to take preventative measures. I got to see exactly what happened with the wife's fender bender.

I did contemplate that. If it is stolen though, I assume you have no chance of figure out who because the images are on an SD card and not in the cloud?

Sponsored

Shamwedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S | 2 Door | 6 Speed | Hydro

What do you use for motion and shock detection?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Looking for some suggestions/recommendations! I'd like front and back dash cams that are easily detached for safekeeping. Thanks in advance to all!
I use and recommend GoPros. They're modular, and aftermarket support is excellent, meaning they can be moved between vehicles very easily via RAM mounting solutions. The picture quality is nonpareil, natch. Power can come from extended run batteries, or 12V adapter cords. Granted, they are not marketed to serve exclusively as dash cameras.

----------------

Here's a favorite screen shot of mine to illustrate the camera's value. This isn't the latest example of on-the-road hijinks, but I don't save every recorded example of poor roadcraft, either.

I had a protected green turn arrow, and the oncoming lane had a by-now stale red light when the POS daycab drayage driver just rolled right through the intersection. This was exactly as my Spidey Sense anticipated would occur. The GoPro rolled; I and the motorcycle did not.

That could have just as easily been my Jeep that would have been side-punched if I proceeded through the intersection.

Yet another example of why I refuse to use or even acknowledge the term "professional driver."

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Dash Cam? Turn arrow edit

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I have the blackvue 590X and love it. Looks great / sleek / small size, can be easily detached and has built in wifi.

Had a couple close calls over a 2 week span where some douchebags ran red lights. First time i would have gotten t-boned and the 2nd one was a little Fiat 500 that ran the red light and i almost t-boned him in the Rubi. That would have been a bad result with how little those cars are.

After that i decided it was time to get dashcams for me and the wife. Would get the 590x again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I have the blackvue 590X and love it. Looks great / sleek / small size, can be easily detached and has built in wifi.

Had a couple close calls over a 2 week span where some douchebags ran red lights. First time i would have gotten t-boned and the 2nd one was a little Fiat 500 that ran the red light and i almost t-boned him in the Rubi. That would have been a bad result with how little those cars are.

After that i decided it was time to get dashcams for me and the wife. Would get the 590x again.
Did you hardwire it? And if so, was it easy to do? Any other worthwhile accessories?

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Did you hardwire it? And if so, was it easy to do? Any other worthwhile accessories?
did not hardwire nor did i get any accessories. I have the 1 channel camera (front only) and it was around $180 but blackvues can get very expensive. For what i wanted (small size, wifi, detachable, good quality) this ticked all the boxes.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I did contemplate that. If it is stolen though, I assume you have no chance of figure out who because the images are on an SD card and not in the cloud?

There are models that do that but at that added expense. Just considering all the things that are in my jeep at any given time I think the dash cam is easily overlooked by a thief.

Besides, I never thought anyone would dare steal out of a "RUBICON"... :LOL:
Sponsored