Sponsored

Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I bought a new 21 2 door rubi. This is my third 2 door but not back to back.
I been asked so many times why I didn't get a 4 door.
Just a vent post. But does everyone get this???
And one buddy said 4 door is better resale!!! LOL YEA SOOOO!!!
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!
Performance and style are good reason to buy a 2dr. . JL's have a better power to weight ratio and are sportier looking. Mostly 2drs. on the auction floor at Mecum or Berrett Jackson. I wouldn't buy a JLU for long term resale value judged by todays auction prices.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So....why do you live where there's snow?😁
Good question. Snow can be strikingly beautiful, loads of fun, annoying, unpredictable and dangerous all at the same time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? _DSC0008.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? _DSC0012.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? _DSC0013.JPG

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
If only I had $20 for every time I've been asked that question over the years. I would probably have enough to buy me a set of lockers by now.

I've noticed a common denominator amongst people who often ask this question; they are obese and/or a bit on the chunky side of life. They usually get real intimidated when they see the back seat and say something like, "this is a skinny person vehicle" and/or, "I'd never fit back there".

I believe the obesity epidemic in America is contributing to the demise of the 2 door Wrangler more than anything else. As Americans get bigger and bigger, less and less 2 door Wranglers will be sold. I've NEVER yet had a fit person complain about the size of my Jeep or being concerned about, "not being able to fit in the back".

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!
I have a 4 door for my own (family) reasons and cant get a 2 Door due to child seats for example but would love me one.

Some people are just too nosy. It’s your life and your money. Do what you feel right. Eff the others!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I wouldn't say everything else, wheelbase adds stability everywhere. 80+ on I-70 (windy for a freeway with an 80mph speed limit) is scary in a 2 door. 70+ drifting in the desert, I'll pass on the 2 door there too. Have more than 1 friend or family member? Have you ever seen a 6'4" man try to sit in the back of a 2 door? Overlanding and want to bring more than a 6 pack and a sandwich? 4 door wins again. The 2 door is more maneuverable and that's about it's only advantage.
I meant offroad but thats true anything high speed 4 door wins. But the 2 door does not drag the belly and does better on rocks. The 2 door can get away with a smaller lift and tires. Honestly out on the trail I see 2 doors and 4 doors perform just fine. ive never seen a 2 door flip, but ive seen plenty 4 doors high centered.

I know youtube offroaders think the 4 door is better. In real life they both run trails from my experience.

I take my 2 door camping all the time and bring more than a sandwich. And I just ordered an offroad squaredrop camper. Yeah it is tiny and not a school bus. But it works.

2 doors are also very nimble and an absolute joy to wheel with. The JL is honestly not squirrely in the freeway. Ive driven both 4 door and 2 door and the 4 door feels sluggish in comparisson.

Sponsored

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
lol huh? Nope, I've never been asked. Do people in your area also ask those who got the 2 door BMW, Hondas, and other makes and models? If I were asked, there's no shortage of obvious reasons (for me), though:

• -Over 6' tighter u-turn radius. I've found this to be awesome for on and off road for more situations than I had imagined. I've avoided trees, parked cars, 3-point turns, and kept from cutting into an additional lane on tight turns. Whenever I get in other vehicles now, even my son's Mustang, I feel like it turns like a boat lol.
  • -Shorter physical presence for more garage head room, and combined with the tighter turn radius, amazing for navigating everything from trails to parking garages to fit into shorter parking spots (parallel parking is cake).
  • -Faster and easier to get naked, with 2 less doors and smaller/lighter top for both maneuvering and less storage. I'm in Austin and often getting naked, and no desire to go soft top.
  • -Higher center clearance angle for not getting hung up on rock ledges, as well as lighter weight which is nearly always better for off roading. How many people you hear that are trying to make their Jeep weigh more, vs reduce its weight?!
  • -Better acceleration performance, better breaking performance, better MPGs, and lower price, when comparing the same engine. All bonuses, plus I *personally* like the look of 2-door more.
  • -I've never needed the space, or to ever haul anyone, and I don't want anyone even asking. My kids are grown, and at most, I'll have a date with me. I removed the back seat on day one (quick release) and just my dogs cruise with me, both 65 lbs. It's way easier for my dogs to jump in and out of the back vs the back door, into a seat. They ride right next to my shoulder in the back, looking out the front seats for easy stoplight pats and love.

Of course there are plenty of personal reasons/needs for others to buy a 4 door though, just none that apply to me. I'd like the other engine options, even though I'd probably still end up picking the V6 I have.

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? Photo Apr 10, 7 35 50 PM

It has the perfect amount of space for my dogs and to throw in the very few things I need to take with me.

The 2 door is more maneuverable and that's about it's only advantage.
...lol good one.

Last edited:

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
lol huh? Nope, never asked. Do people in your area also ask those who got the 2 door BMW, Hondas, and other makes and models? If I were asked, there's no shortage of obvious reasons (for me), though:

• -Over 6' tighter u-turn radius. I've found this to be awesome for on and off road for more situations than I had imagined. I've avoided trees, parked cars, 3-point turns, and kept from cutting into an additional lane on tight turns. Whenever I get in other vehicles now, even my son's Mustang, I feel like is turns like a boat lol.
  • -Shorter physical presence for more garage head room, and combined with the tighter turn radius, amazing for navigating everything from trails to parking garages to fit into shorter parking spots.
  • -Faster and easier to get naked, with 2 less doors and smaller/lighter top for both maneuvering and less storage. I'm in Austin and often getting naked, and no desire to go soft top.
  • -Higher center clearance angle for not getting hung up on rock ledges, as well as lighter weight which is nearly always better for off roading. How many people you hear that are trying to make their Jeep weigh more, vs reduce its weight?!
  • -Better acceleration performance, better breaking performance, better MPGs, and lower price, all bonuses, plus I *personally* like the look of 2-door more.
  • -I've never needed the space, or to ever haul anyone, and I don't want anyone even asking. My kids are grown, and at most, I'll have a date with me. I removed the back seat on day one (quick release) and my dogs cruise with me, both 65 lbs and it's way easier for them to jump in and out of the back vs the back door, into a seat. They ride right next to my shoulder in the back, looking out the front seats for easy stoplight pats and love.

Of course there are plenty of personal reasons/needs for others to buy a 4 door though, just none that apply to me. I'd like the other engine options, even though I'd probably still end up picking the V6 I have.

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? Photo Apr 10, 7 35 50 PM

It has the perfect amount of space for my dogs and to throw in the very few things I need to take with me.

...lol good one.
That is one nice looking Jeep!!! I usually hate the red accents on the Rubicon, but they look good on yours and blend rather well with the Sarge Green. I like your rims also. Hats off to you on your selection and choices.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Tell them you have a 4 door but Jeeps can have their doors taken off, you only use two most of the time.....then drive away.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
lol huh? Nope, I've never been asked. Do people in your area also ask those who got the 2 door BMW, Hondas, and other makes and models? If I were asked, there's no shortage of obvious reasons (for me), though:

• -Over 6' tighter u-turn radius. I've found this to be awesome for on and off road for more situations than I had imagined. I've avoided trees, parked cars, 3-point turns, and kept from cutting into an additional lane on tight turns. Whenever I get in other vehicles now, even my son's Mustang, I feel like it turns like a boat lol.
  • -Shorter physical presence for more garage head room, and combined with the tighter turn radius, amazing for navigating everything from trails to parking garages to fit into shorter parking spots.
  • -Better acceleration performance, better breaking performance, better MPGs, and lower price, when comparing the same engine. All bonuses, plus I *personally* like the look of 2-door more.
  • -I've never needed the space, or to ever haul anyone, and I don't want anyone even asking. My kids are grown, and at most, I'll have a date with me. I removed the back seat on day one (quick release) and my dogs cruise with me, both 65 lbs and it's way easier for them to jump in and out of the back vs the back door, into a seat. They ride right next to my shoulder in the back, looking out the front seats for easy stoplight pats and love.

...lol good one.
Both the 4xe and the diesel get better mpg than your 2 door and accelerate quicker, and the 392 does 0-60 50% quicker. You got me on the cheaper, although you get less for your money (doors, towing capacity, space). Turning radius, physically smaller, and breakover angle fall under maneuverability no matter how many different ways you break it down. That extra minute to take off 2 extra doors will certainly add up if you do it every day for years.

Ravens100

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4, Maz CX-5, 80th Anniv JL 2-Dr (ordered)
I guess I'll find out as I ordered a 2 door 80th Annie 10 days ago. Wondering, is it other Wrangler owners or just in general ? Frankly, it seems like a ridiculous question to ask just "out of the blue"(unless it's someone pondering a Wrangler purchase). For us, it's a third vehicle mainly for just me and my wife that could top down and drive onto the beach (surf fishing, etc.). If someone walked up to me on a parking lot and asked, I'd probably just say "it suits my needs".

Sponsored

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
So.......no spouse, I presume. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I use to drive 2 doors with no desire for 4 door...then the thought of maneuvering baby car seat made me switched to the 4 door.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Both the 4xe and the diesel get better mpg than your 2 door and accelerate quicker, and the 392 does 0-60 50% quicker. You got me on the cheaper, although you get less for your money (doors, towing capacity, space). Turning radius, physically smaller, and breakover angle fall under maneuverability no matter how many different ways you break it down. That extra minute to take off 2 extra doors will certainly add up if you do it every day for years.
Yeah 4 door is a better value. People are buying 2 doors are not doing it cause of the minimal price difference.

Breakover angle is not only about maneuverability. It is about not dragging your belly everywhere or getting high centered. It is about being able to do anything on 33s anf having an offroad beast on 35s. Breakover angle has always been very important for offroading, and the biggest drawback/complain about the stock 4 door wrangler. Easily managed with better skid plates, bigger tires, and a lift. But you dont need that on a 2 door.

2 doors are all about simplicity. Not about overcamping, massive lifts and tires, heavy rigs, etc...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I use to drive 2 doors with no desire for 4 door...then the thought of maneuvering baby car seat made me switched to the 4 door.
It isnt bad. I have a baby. The passenger seat on the JL goes really far and you can entered almost as if there was no seat.

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I clearly meant "same engine" in regards to mpg and acceleration, and had immediately added it right after posting. I have zero desire to go down a rabbit hole with someone justifying their purchase as something "better" for anyone other than themselves, trying to amplify and minimize points and facts where necessary. It's pointless and merely opinion-based fact-twisting on an internet forum, with the end result of showing who's the most insecure. All my listed items are 100% advantages, TO MY NEEDS, and reasons why I bought a 2-door, which answers the question of the topic of this thread and your reply changes none of that. Have a great Sunday!

P.S. Maybe you should start a "reasons I bought a 4-door" thread to let it all out. I promise you, I won't even read it, or touch it with a 10 ft pole, because it doesn't apply to me and I'm secure with my purchase and reasons behind it ;)
Sponsored