Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

the clamp on the driver side seems to not have as much tension as the passenger side but not I’m not sure it will be an issue and not sure it’s adjustable.
Mine are the opposite of yours. My passenger side is a bit lighter when closing than my driver side. I haven't had a need to adjust.

You can adjust the tension if need be. Lower your sun visors. On each side you'll see 2 felt pads stuck to 2 bolts. These bolts are attached to where the Sunrider clamps grab onto. Remove the felt pads (they can be re-used, so don't lose them) and very slowly loosen the 2 bolts just enough to get some movement. A little goes a long way here, so don't go crazy loosening the bolts. Adjust forward or back to increase/decrease tension as needed. Tighten the bolts back up, replace the felt pads and you're good to go.

Again, I didn't actually do this myself. Leave things as is for now. If you have no leaks and the top latches without issue over time, there's no need to do anything. If you feel the top has stretched a a bit and the clamp/s have become loser, then adjust as necessary.

Enjoy your new Sunrider!!!!
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good, what sun screen are you using? I love my top, find myself driving everywhere with it open.
I am using a SpiderWebShade JLKini, it uses those elastic cords.... not as easy opening and closing with the sunshade but it keeps the heat from beating down on you.

Mine are the opposite of yours. My passenger side is a bit lighter when closing than my driver side. I haven't had a need to adjust.

You can adjust the tension if need be. Lower your sun visors. On each side you'll see 2 felt pads stuck to 2 bolts. These bolts are attached to where the Sunrider clamps grab onto. Remove the felt pads (they can be re-used, so don't lose them) and very slowly loosen the 2 bolts just enough to get some movement. A little goes a long way here, so don't go crazy loosening the bolts. Adjust forward or back to increase/decrease tension as needed. Tighten the bolts back up, replace the felt pads and you're good to go.

Again, I didn't actually do this myself. Leave things as is for now. If you have no leaks and the top latches without issue over time, there's no need to do anything. If you feel the top has stretched a a bit and the clamp/s have become loser, then adjust as necessary.

Enjoy your new Sunrider!!!!
I will leave as is for now and see if I get any leaks, Im pretty sure I have it together correctly, the only confusing part was the rail being in front or behind the main deck

The instruction is not very clear

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review 4B516A05-CA67-48C2-9A0A-44D0B9AF6855

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Im pretty sure I have it together correctly, the only confusing part was the rail being in front or behind the main deck

The instruction is not very clear
I just looked at your pics again. You have everything correct. Your top wouldn't be seated properly if you had the rails installed incorrectly.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@jludave here is what I’m thinking I have wrong, the door rail is on the outside and I’m thinking it needs to be under the SR as it looks like water could run behind it.

Im not sure if it’s wrong until I take the screws out to see if going under is even possible

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review C28275B7-7BF3-4D77-AA6E-4458986CB0D9

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

the door rail is on the outside and I’m thinking it needs to be under the SR as it looks like water could run behind it.
@WranglerMan, check out this video. She does the install using the old method of attaching the door surrounds 1st. However, she does a good job of showing how the top sits with regard to the door rail. At about the 5:00 minute mark, you'll see what I'm talking about. When installed properly, the top sits behind/under the door rail/surround.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan, check out this video. She does the install using the old method of attaching the door surrounds 1st. However, she does a good job of showing how the top sits with regard to the door rail. At about the 5:00 minute mark, you'll see what I'm talking about. When installed properly, the top sits behind/under the door rail/surround.

I’m fairly sure this is how I have it, the part marked in blue is the SR deck and the red marked piece is the door rail and the rail is over the top of the SR deck and it sits very flat

Thanks for posting the vid and giving me the great info, the printed instruction is not very clear

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review A84DEBB2-7F02-4162-8F6A-F0779040F62E

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Question for 2-door owners... Is there a lot of wind turbulence inside the cabin when the sunrider is open since there is no place for the air to exit at the rear?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Question for 2-door owners... Is there a lot of wind turbulence inside the cabin when the sunrider is open since there is no place for the air to exit at the rear?
@Boatbuilder88

I see no issues like that with my 2dr and the SR. I also have a sunshade in place full time.

Remember, you have 2 , "exhauster's" on the tail gate that let some air flow out..

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review 68323649AB

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
@Boatbuilder88

I see no issues like that with my 2dr and the SR. I also have a sunshade in place full time.

Remember, you have 2 , "exhauster's" on the tail gate that let some air flow out..

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review 68323649AB
Thanks @Rhinebeck01

Is there a gap between the door surround and the sports bar? My short wife has grab handles strapped to the sports bars that she uses to climb in and out of the Jeep. (She thinks the A-pillar handles are awkwardly positioned.)

Sponsored

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Thanks @Rhinebeck01

Is there a gap between the door surround and the sports bar? My short wife has grab handles strapped to the sports bars that she uses to climb in and out of the Jeep. (She thinks the A-pillar handles are awkwardly positioned.)
Plenty of room. Didn't even remove my grab handles when installing the Sunrider.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review Grab Handle

Jeep with SR-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My grab handles are a bit different, they are sewn to a fabric strap that is kinda wide so had to push the straps closer together to keep the material from being under the SR door panel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review BAC5ACA9-B828-48DF-90B7-A8DA1D7DBBBD
Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review A981E2FD-7C7E-49F2-A085-9E338C874CA1

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Plenty of room. Didn't even remove my grab handles when installing the Sunrider.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review A981E2FD-7C7E-49F2-A085-9E338C874CA1
@YTBlue

What a few guys with the Mopar grabs have reported is that.... yes, you can get the door rails on over them.... but apparently the thickness of the grabs keeps the rails up slightly and thus, some air and water leakage occurs intermittently... especially at higher speeds. I'm just mentioning what I have read.

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
@YTBlue

What a few guys with the Mopar grabs have reported is that.... yes, you can get the door rails on over them.... but apparently the thickness of the grabs keeps the rails up slightly and thus, some air and water leakage occurs intermittently... especially at higher speeds. I'm just mentioning what I have read.
Correct. I had to completely remove the Mopar grab handles as the sunrider frame wouldn't sit properly on the Jeep.

I think for a 100% guaranteed seal you'd have to lose grab handles of any kind....

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Correct. I had to completely remove the Mopar grab handles as the sunrider frame wouldn't sit properly on the Jeep.

I think for a 100% guaranteed seal you'd have to lose grab handles of any kind....
Thanks. I'm in Northern California and we rarely have rain, ever. Extreme drought = few leaks. But it does seem very tight. Will find out next time I go to the car wash. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored