Sponsored

Kremz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
(UPDATES) I picked up my 4xe Rubicon on 4/10 and thought I’d post a few thoughts and (maybe useful?) info as I have completed a 750mi drive now. I’m hoping to answer some questions I know I still had and also happy to answer anything the great folks here might have also.

I have all factory options including the sky one-touch, with the only exception being the Advanced Safety Group.

A quick note since I think context is important in any discussion. I’ve owned 3 Jeeps, a TJ, early JK and late JKUR (AEV). I’ve driven the 2.0 and 3.6 JLUR’s many times at length in various conditions on and off-road. I have not driven the new 392 or the Diesel but do have a couple hundred miles of experience with AEV converted 5.7 and 6.4 JKUR’s.

I figured I’d break down each area and hopefully add/update specific info as more folks receive them and also provide feedback on experience.

Performance
TLDR;

It’s by no means slow, and it’s absolutely quicker than the 2.0 and 3.6. Can you smoke the tires, no. Can you beat a 392 off the line, maybe. Would you lose to a 392 after about 1.5-2s off the line, likely. Is it eerily quiet getting from 0-60, very.

Experience;
No one seems to be posting anything about this, anywhere. I was determined to figure out exactly how good or bad it was but instead I realized why exactly no one says anything about it. It’s power is oddly transparent, if that can even be a description? You just don’t think about it. No, it does not blow you away and throw you back into your seat. It’s still a box with knobby tires that weighs 5k+ lbs. All the hp/tq in the world can only overcome so much of physics so set your expectations accordingly. I think in many cases we perceive speed based on sound and the level of “roughness” or involvement going fast might require. The 4xe is eerily quiet. Even when you stand on it, you are just sort of going 80mph all of a sudden with no real fuss. You hear minimal noise from the 2.0 and in pure electric the instant torque is fantastic but it doesn’t give the perception of fast in any way. The lack of a launch control feature should be a dead giveaway, also. If you like to “feel” like you’re going fast, this isn’t it. I personally love it, it’s a fantastic mix of power and efficiency in a car that’s all about balancing functionality and capability.
- I'm confident in saying it's very quick after putting nearly 800mi on it so far. Especially from any kind of roll. From a dead stop the battery helps tremendously off the line but once the mass is rolling and turbo has spooled you can jump on it and it moves very swiftly.
- The power feels extremely linear. I’d be surprised to see the power and torque curves not just be straight lines honestly.
- I really want to try a few timed 0-60's, what are people using now to guage? I know it won't be 100% perfect compared to a track but would love to get an idea.

Exterior
- You need to like the color blue if you buy the Rubicon, less so on the Sahara’s.
- The “RUBICON” lettering blue appears to have some metallic in it, it changes depending on light. The tow hooks are definitely more of what I’d call Electric Baby Blue. The hood decal blue is essentially flat. One thing is for sure, they don’t “appear” to all match exactly but it has more to do with the material they are either printed on or applied to that influences it. It’s not significant by any means and after the first time many folks won’t think twice. OCD folks however, be warned.
- The gas tank only opens with the unlock button inside. I swear I saw a video where you could just push it in from the outside of the car to open but even the sales team was confused on this one. I’m a fan of this for security purposes but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere yet. As mentioned by a few members, the dealer also confirmed it's pressurized and thus the button and delayed opening of the tank lid.

Interior
- You also need to like the color blue if you buy the Rubicon with black leather, less so on the Sahara, even less with cloth option and almost not at all with Saddle interior.
- I have the black leather option and got blue stitching on seats, door panels, dash, center console and shifters. We’ll call this the FULL blue option. The cloth variant appears to only have the blue on the seats and no where else. The saddle interior replaces all the blue with white, at least on the other one I saw at the dealer. Can likely make this list more precise as folks receive them, this is just my experience from the dealer and online.
- I can’t see a reason why the LED charging indicators on the dash are so huge. Yes, they are large as others have stated. It eats nearly any storage you have up there. However, it appears at first glance the 67 Designs stuff will work if you just use the driver/passenger side individual bases and not the full rail. I have the pieces to try and install tomorrow and will report back with photos. I only mention this as 67D is very popular already and I reached out to them about designing a new variant for the full rail option for the 4xe.
- ^^^ NOPE, the 67D stuff does not fit. It appears the opening up top has changed in depth as well as the addition of the LED's so the bases will not fit from front to back any longer.

Modes, Buttons, Random
- GVW is listed inside door as 6400lbs (Rubicon)
- Curb Weight is listed in specifications as 5100 (Sahara) or 5222 (Rubicon)

- There is no “Offroad +” button.
- Yes, it has 2H.
- The Max Regen button does NOT stay on after you restart the car. This appears contradictory to the documentation but likely a software thing they changed late and/or are still working on smoothing over with some politician. Not a big deal but I like others really like this feature. Once you get used to it, you can time it so you almost never have to actually depress the brake pedal to slow down.
- When Max Regen is on, letting off the gas fully will engage the brake lights automatically. Cool feature as it does slow you down fairly significantly and your back end wouldn’t last for long without it. I tested this in DC traffic, it works, well.
- The technician that did the PDI on mine said in their training they were told the 4xe can use the lower 87 octane fuel similar to the 3.6 even though the 2.0 requires Premium. Supposedly Jeep is using a different cam that allows the lower octane fuel to be used.
@bjm00se confirmed:
Fuel requirement on page 78 of the 4xe Owner's Manual Supplement:
Fuel Selection: 87 Octane (R+M)/2 Method, 0-15% Ethanol.
- I refueled with 93 octane (confirmed dealer put 87 in it) and it has a noticeable power increase in the higher RPM's of the motor. This makes sense, but the point being it definitely adjusts timing and I'm sure other parameter's based on fuel type.
- After looking into all the manuals provided with the car, it does indicate that “91 octane or higher is recommended for optimum fuel economy and performance.”

Real World Hybrid’ness
- I started on a full charge/full tank of gas when I picked up the car and got 27.8 miles of battery use in Hybrid mode over the course of ~150mi so far. I’m sure there are millions of variables here but this was mostly highway with max regen on. Will take time to get more numbers and data on this topic honestly. Just a starting point.
- It was completely down to 0% battery on the fuel gauge and <1% on the battery gauge when I stopped to plug in. I plugged into a L2 charger and it approximated 2h15m to fully charge. Not sure what variables there are with different types of L2, still learning.
- You get the craziest stares when you pull into an EV spot with a Jeep. Everything from “WTF is this DB doing in the Tesla parking” (just an anecdote, NO the Tesla charger does NOT work in the Jeep) to “This guy MUST be lost”. As soon as you plug it in, the look on peoples faces is easily worth every penny. :P
- The battery gauge never goes below <1%. Based on some responses it seems the battery has some type of reserve that's roughly ~15% of capacity. It allows the continued use of electric only when coasting or low speed on most occasions up to around 20mph in my experience thus far. It also seemed to never loose it’s full power potential. It appears I still have all 470lb’s of hamsters even when battery was dry (according to the gauges).

Donuts and 600 more miles coming soon <--- Done, Donut pics below! Hopefully this can be helpful, the forum and members have definitely helped me and I just wanted to contribute if possible.

Fire away with questions, post feedback and share your experiences as well!

Jeep:

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! 3963E2C0-98A7-4D59-98DA-AFF0AF194A67

Donuts:

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! Donuts
Sponsored

Last edited:

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the detail....patiently awaiting mine! I wonder if Carista will ever provide (or someone else) reprogramming through OBD like they do through 2018. Either Jeep locked them out, or they didn’t have enough interest (hard to believe) in making it work on JL’s 🤷🏼‍♂️

hisdigness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Sahara
I picked up my 4xe Rubicon today and thought I’d post a few thoughts and (maybe useful?) info as I have a 750mi drive over 2 days with it. I’m hoping to answer some questions I know I still had and also happy to answer anything the great folks here might have also.

I have all factory options including the sky one-touch, with the only exception being the Advanced Safety Group.

A quick note since I think context is important in any discussion. I’ve owned 3 Jeeps, a TJ, early JK and late JKUR (AEV). I’ve driven the 2.0 and 3.6 JLUR’s many times at length in various conditions on and off-road. I have not driven the new 392 or the Diesel but do have a couple hundred miles of experience with AEV converted 5.7 and 6.4 JKUR’s.

I figured I’d break down each area and hopefully add/update specific info as more folks receive them and also provide feedback on experience.

Performance
TLDR;

It’s by no means slow, and it’s absolutely quicker than the 2.0 and 3.6. Can you smoke the tires, no. Can you beat a 392 off the line, maybe. Would you lose to a 392 after about 1.5-2s off the line, likely. Is it eerily quiet getting from 0-60, very.
Experience;
No one seems to be posting anything about this, anywhere. I was determined to figure out exactly how good or bad it was but instead I realized why exactly no one says anything about it. It’s power is oddly transparent, if that can even be a description? You just don’t think about it. No, it does not blow you away and throw you back into your seat. It’s still a box with knobby tires that weighs 6k+ lbs. All the hp/tq in the world can only overcome so much of physics so set your expectations accordingly. I think in many cases we perceive speed based on sound and the level of “roughness” or involvement going fast might require. The 4xe is eerily quiet. Even when you stand on it, you are just sort of going 80mph all of a sudden with no real fuss. You hear minimal noise from the 2.0 and in pure electric the instant torque is fantastic but it doesn’t give the perception of fast in any way. The lack of a launch control feature should be a dead giveaway, also. If you like to “feel” like you’re going fast, this isn’t it. I personally love it, it’s a fantastic mix of power and efficiency in a car that’s all about balancing functionality and capability.

Exterior
- You need to like the color blue if you buy the Rubicon, less so on the Sahara’s.
- The “RUBICON” lettering blue appears to have some metallic in it, it changes depending on light. The tow hooks are definitely more of what I’d call Electric Baby Blue. The hood decal blue is essentially flat. One thing is for sure, they don’t “appear” to all match exactly but it has more to do with the material they are either printed on or applied to that influences it. It’s not significant by any means and after the first time many folks won’t think twice. OCD folks however, be warned.
- The gas tank only opens with the unlock button inside. I swear I saw a video where you could just push it in from the outside of the car to open but even the sales team was confused on this one. I’m a fan of this for security purposes but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Interior
- You also need to like the color blue if you buy the Rubicon with black leather, less so on the Sahara, even less with cloth option and almost not at all with Saddle interior.
- I have the black leather option and got blue stitching on seats, door panels, dash, center console and shifters. We’ll call this the FULL blue option. The cloth variant appears to only have the blue on the seats and no where else. The saddle interior replaces all the blue with white, at least on the other one I saw at the dealer. Can likely make this list more precise as folks receive them, this is just my experience from the dealer and online.
- I can’t see a reason why the LED charging indicators on the dash are so huge. Yes, they are large as others have stated. It eats nearly any storage you have up there. However, it appears at first glance the 67 Designs stuff will work if you just use the driver/passenger side individual bases and not the full rail. I have the pieces to try and install tomorrow and will report back with photos. I only mention this as 67D is very popular already and I reached out to them about designing a new variant for the full rail option for the 4xe.

Modes, Buttons, Random
- There is no “Offroad +” button.
- Yes, it has 2H.
- The Max Regen button does NOT stay on after you restart the car. This appears contradictory to the documentation but likely a software thing they changed late and/or are still working on smoothing over with some politician. Not a big deal but I like others really like this feature. Once you get used to it, you can time it so you almost never have to actually depress the brake pedal to slow down.
- When Max Regen is on, letting off the gas fully will engage the brake lights automatically. Cool feature as it does slow you down fairly significantly and your back end wouldn’t last for long without it. I tested this in DC traffic, it works, well.
- The technician that did the PDI on mine said in their training they were told the 4xe can use the lower 87 octane fuel similar to the 3.6 even though the 2.0 requires Premium. Supposedly Jeep is using a different cam that allows the lower octane fuel to be used.
@bjm00se confirmed:

Real World Hybrid’ness
- I started on a full charge/full tank of gas when I picked up the car and got 27.8 miles of battery use in Hybrid mode over the course of ~150mi so far. I’m sure there are millions of variables here but this was mostly highway with max regen on. Will take time to get more numbers and data on this topic honestly. Just a starting point.
- It was completely down to 0% battery on the fuel gauge and <1% on the battery gauge when I stopped to plug in. I plugged into a L2 charger and it approximated 2h15m to fully charge. Not sure what variables this may have yet?
- You get the craziest stares when you pull into an EV spot with a Jeep. Everything from “WTF is this DB doing in the Tesla parking” to “This guy MUST be lost”. As soon as you plug it in, the look on peoples faces is easily worth every penny. :P
- It doesn’t appear that the battery gauge ever goes below <1%. This may be more EV ignorance, but I’m assuming it has some type of reserve as even when the fuel gauge had 0% it would still go into electric only when coasting or low speed on most occasions. It also seemed to never loose it’s full power potential. It seemed I still had all 470lb’s of hamsters even when battery was dry, I’ll play with it more though.

Donuts and 600 more miles coming soon. Hopefully this can be helpful, the forum and members have definitely helped me and I just wanted to contribute if possible.

Fire away with questions, post feedback and share your experiences as well!

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! Donuts
Thank you for this!

ArtC

First Name
Art Closson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe, 2009 Dodge Ram 2500
Ryan: Great info. When you have a chance, please post what the stated payload on the GVW sticker is.

Thanks,
Art

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Fully depleted battery still has 15% capacity left. Thanks for the review. I can only imagine the looks at the public charging stations lol.

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
My viewpoint as a first-time Jeep owner and a first time hybrid driver. Two new joys in one!

My last car was a 2011 Toyota Highlander that I bought new and intended to drive until it died. That was the plan until I rented a Wrangler on a vacation. From that point I knew I had to have one.

I’ve had a week of “standard“ commuting to work and volunteer soccer club work since picking up Jewel (Snazzberry Sahara with standard highway tires and no mods... yet).

I’m amazed how much of my standard activities can be completed in 25-30 miles of driving. My commute is 30 minutes each way, but I never checked the distance. It’s only 10.5 miles each way so I’m able to handle the entire commute plus several stops solely using battery power.
7-day stats:
264 total miles
198 electric
66 hybrid
27 mpg showing on dash

The acceleration is solid and incredibly quiet. I agree with Kremz, I don't generally feel the power of the acceleration, but I’m definitely going faster, quicker than expected. I do feel a little “push back in my seat” feeling as the engine kicks in to supplement the battery when I play a bit on the highway — as recommended by the manual during the break-in period :)

I also really like the Max regen option. I hope there will be some fix available that allows the option to remain on when the car is restarted. A few times I had to hit the brakes hard once I realized the regen wasn’t on and I was coasting instead of decelerating.

The start-stop motor kicks in and turns off smoothly. I don’t feel it at all. I happen to catch it happening because I am also focused on the hybrid performance.

Almost every day I’ve taken the battery to <1%. I plug in the standard charger every night and it has reached full charge by morning 6 out of 7 days. The dashboard says that a full charge will take 13-14 hours, but it seems to charge in a little over 12.

I’m looking forward to warmer weather and new top-off, doors-off adventures.

There is just so much that is new to me here. I’m a kid in a candy store!

I’m glad to have found this forum to jumpstart my Jeep experience.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Great information. Really looking forward to see what 0-60 times etc. are in these to see apples to apples how it stacks up to the other engine options. Seat of the pants feel is very misleading as you noted by lack of sounds making it seem like maybe its not as fast. Similar to how a large lifted vehicle will "feel" slower than something slammed to the ground etc.

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
Thanks for posting. So maybe the torque curve is fairly constant which makes it feels less fast even though it is fast. The term “jerk” is the acceleration of the acceleration in physics. If no rate of change in acceleration then it is harder to perceive the experience. It would be really interesting to see torque curve and dyno info on the 4xe to understand the power delivery. Maybe it is the odd sense of missing the noise that adds to the experience as well. The 2.0 has a lot of peak torque early and a high rate of change in torque which makes it fell faster probably. Great write up. Thanks again.

GeneralKlinger

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE
Keep on coming with these reviews. I am holding off on my order until I read more of these. I am heading into retirement (From the Military, not Life LOL) and have wanted to buy a Wrangler for years. Figured now is the time, but I am still hesitating.

Sponsored

DocNau

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4xe
First post. First day with my new 4xe. Bought it from a family friend. If not for that they may have sold it to someone else - apparently had 4-5 buyers in the 24 hours it was in the showroom.

I got the HA version. I know that will make some of the purists get their panties all in a bunch. There are many reasons with the biggest being appeasing The wife. I love lifted Wranglers with aftermarket wheels. That’s just not my reality today - maybe in the future. Don’t love or hate these wheels, but I also don’t plan on rock crawling with it. I will say the car is rugged, but classic looking. Love the blue accents in the blacked out badges. Really nice, subtle pop of color. Interior is out of sight. Have to get in my hothead headliners soon then it will be perfect

Unlike others above, I’ve driven few Jeep’s. I will say that the acceleration is effortless and not especially notable in the sense that it just happens. No fuss no muss. I was at a standstill trying to merge on to the freeway due to construction. Easily merged at speed with little effort. Love the fact that it is essentially silent when in electric mode.
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! ED8B6C20-ECFE-46A6-8007-A7A2E8AF27F8

One word to the wise, I ordered the mopar rubber mats - the back doesn’t fit. They are clearly too large and the mounting spots are way off. Not sure if I got the wrong ones from Amazon, but I’m not sure they have 4xe specific mats yet.

doooodo

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jku
Dude. Thank you. Been waiting for a detailed performance review like this. Sounds great, and excited to get mine.

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
One word to the wise, I ordered the mopar rubber mats - the back doesn’t fit. They are clearly too large and the mounting spots are way off. Not sure if I got the wrong ones from Amazon, but I’m not sure they have 4xe specific mats yet.
What part number did you order? The Mopar ones I ordered, 6RV53TX7AA001 say for the 4xe. If they don't fit, I'm sending them back.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
When you mention plugging into Tesla chargers, you do need the Tesla to J1772 adapter for that, right?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
When you mention plugging into Tesla chargers, you do need the Tesla to J1772 adapter for that, right?
I assumed it was a figure of speech.
Sponsored