Off road plus????

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
So when I ordered I knew what I was getting into with lockers, sway bar disconnect, and the 4wd I chose. But what on earth is this off road plus button?

E763A5C1-D1F9-4654-824E-55808B384F25.jpeg
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
It’s Off Road, but wait, there’s more!
For 2021, all Wrangler models now come equipped with a TrailCam forward-facing off-road camera that utilizes the 8.4-inch touchscreen, which can be accessed through the available Off-road Pages. As standard, the Wrangler Rubicon now includes an Off-Road Plus mode that adjusts the throttle, transmission shift points, and traction control for improved off-road capability.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
It’s Off Road, but wait, there’s more!
For 2021, all Wrangler models now come equipped with a TrailCam forward-facing off-road camera that utilizes the 8.4-inch touchscreen, which can be accessed through the available Off-road Pages. As standard, the Wrangler Rubicon now includes an Off-Road Plus mode that adjusts the throttle, transmission shift points, and traction control for improved off-road capability.
I did not get the trail cam but when do you hit the button and in what situations?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
When you feel like you need a little extra help? They haven’t been really clear.
I wondered about this myself, you're right they're not very clear about it.
Off Road + does the following:
  1. Allows you to drive at higher speeds with rear locker engaged.
  2. Disables Traction Control
  3. Adjusts throttle for off road driving.
  4. Adjusts auto trans shift points for off road use.
It's particularly well suited to sand.
I look at it as a simple way to say "Hey Jeep, you're off road now. Behave accordingly."

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I look at it as a simple way to say "Hey Jeep, you're off road now. Behave accordingly."
Oh I thought it was when you get in a spot where you are over your head and scared you get out and the Jeep does the obstacle without you LOL
Just kidding of course

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I thought it was when you get in a spot where you are over your head and scared you get out and the Jeep does the obstacle without you LOL
Just kidding of course
You mean wife mode? No, the JL doesn't have that. 😆
(pulls pin, sets down grenade, casually makes a quick exit)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Oh great, another button. All the above stated electro-wizardry should take place automatically when you crank it into 4-LO.
Then everyone would be mad that they can’t opt out of the changes and get a mechanical low gear only. Nobody is ever happy.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh great, another button. All the above stated electro-wizardry should take place automatically when you crank it into 4-LO.
There's actually a reason for it. Off Road + is not ideal for rock crawling, which is very situational where you'd want to pick and choose your drivetrain config. It's mainly for faster off-road travel over loose/sandy terrain. i.e. overlanding.

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
When you guys say it changes the throttle, does it increase throttle response? I’ve never pushed this button lol

also, can you use this in 2wd?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Not 100% sure, but isn't this only for Auto trans? One of the guys I wheeled with last summer was talking about moving the idle speed up/down using wheel controls while on the trail, and I asked wtf he was talking about and when I told him i have a 6spd he told me it was a feature of the Auto trans. pretty cool, regardless. I saw them using something similar sounding with paddle shifters in the 392 test drive vids on YT

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Off Road + was developed for the Mojave Gladiator, which is geared towards high speed off-road driving. FCA/Jeep thought it it would be a good idea to add it to various JL models as well.
Sponsored