Protecting flat tow Jeep from motorhome throwing up rocks and gravel

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We have a new 2021 JLUR which I have just outfitted to flat tow behind my motorhome.

What are the best solutions to avoid throwing road debris onto the Jeep? Mud flaps on the RV? Debris nets on the tow bar? Some kind of bra / deflector on the Jeep?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I intend to mostly stay on paved roads, but there are a few places we will go with well-graded dirt roads.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A low vehicle(car/SUV) with painted bumpers has a front profile in the line of fire so to speak.
Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting flat tow Jeep from motorhome throwing up rocks and gravel towing before lift b

I have towed 10K with stock JLR ride height and 33" tires and another 15K+ lifted and 37's without issue. In rain/slush the tow vehicle tire spray does cover pretty much the whole JL's body with funk but washes off. I do not believe any guard is needed.

OP
OP

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A low vehicle(car/SUV) with painted bumpers has a front profile in the line of fire so to speak.

I have towed 10K with stock JLR ride height and 33" tires and another 15K+ lifted and 37's without issue.
Thanks, I have a stock JLUR with factory 33" tires too.

Do you have mud flaps on the rear wheels of your tow vehicle? My motorhome doesn't, for some reason...

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
I've towed with this setup about 20,000 miles and never got anything on the towed Jeep that wouldn,'t wash off.

IMG_20210409_142320.jpg

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
towing before lift b.jpeg

I have towed 10K with stock JLR ride height and 33" tires and another 15K+ lifted and 37's without issue. In rain/slush the tow vehicle tire spray does cover pretty much the whole JL's body with funk but washes off. I do not believe any guard is needed.
A tiger owner on this forum! We’ve even got almost the same JL... same color, body color top, black flares, relatively same height and debadged. Only difference is mines a 4 door and my tiger is a GT (so won’t be towing).

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks, I have a stock JLUR with factory 33" tires too.

Do you have mud flaps on the rear wheels of your tow vehicle? My motorhome doesn't, for some reason...
No mud flaps.

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician

Sponsored

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Follow up:
After a 6-week wait, and a few calls, I finally got the cover. Fits and covers the entire front really well. 1st time putting it on was a bit of a pain, as I had to "form" the hooks to keep it on.

Just did our first trip with the cover and new Jeep behind out 42' diesel pusher. Only 100 miles and mostly interstate. Cover did well and Jeep is clean.
Sponsored