Sponsored

Baja Designs lights vs. KC lights. Which set up will be best?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Wow OP, you scared of the dark!? :facepalm:;):)
just messing with you. Each their own.
Over the years Ive run KC, Rigid and Baja Designs. I think BD are best. Great colour, great performance, and great quality.
Sponsored

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
I had a very nice conversation with the folks at KC Hilites and have decided that I will be going with them. I was very impressed with their customer service, responding back to me in a very timely manner and after explaining to them what my plans were for the present, as well as for the near future, they really did a great job of helping me get everything picked out, so my Jeep will be set up exactly how I need it to be.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know you mentioned you need multiple lighting solutions for production. But +1 to someone else mentioning there is such a thing as too much light. From my own experiences, I've learned there is a line between usable and excess lighting. I have the Rigid cowl setup with 4 pods, producing somewhere around 28,000 lumens. Anytime I'm out, I never use them. I always end up using my Baja squadron sports that are in my fog lights. When other people are around, it becomes obnoxiously bright.

Food for thought is all.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
I know you mentioned you need multiple lighting solutions for production. But +1 to someone else mentioning there is such a thing as too much light. From my own experiences, I've learned there is a line between usable and excess lighting. I have the Rigid cowl setup with 4 pods, producing somewhere around 28,000 lumens. Anytime I'm out, I never use them. I always end up using my Baja squadron sports that are in my fog lights. When other people are around, it becomes obnoxiously bright.

Food for thought is all.
The light will be for numerous things, not just filming. Even with search and rescue and/or recovery operations, if I’m able to illuminate an off trail area as much as possible and then send a drone or 2 up with 4K cameras, the more that I and others can see, the more that we can search.

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
Can the Baja Designs LP4 be wired up to the factory fog harness? I see they have a toggle switch and upfitter. Wondering if the upfitter can be used for this.

Also I see they have fog pocket kits that wire direct to the fog harness but my plan is to put these on top of an aftermarket bumper opposed to inside the factory bumper. Will the LP4's be overkill for this?

Sponsored

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Can the Baja Designs LP4 be wired up to the factory fog harness? I see they have a toggle switch and upfitter. Wondering if the upfitter can be used for this.

Also I see they have fog pocket kits that wire direct to the fog harness but my plan is to put these on top of an aftermarket bumper opposed to inside the factory bumper. Will the LP4's be overkill for this?
I think you would still have to use the Baja Designs wiring harness because the Baja Designs LP4 lights are a lot more powerful than the stock fog lights are. Or maybe if you did use the wiring harness and connectors from the stock, factory fog lights, I’m wondering if then, either the LP4 lights will then not produce the same amount of output power as if they would using the intended Baja Designs wiring harness for them, and/or if they would be too powerful for the stock, factory fog lights wiring harness and would then cause you to start blowing fuses for the factory fog lights wiring harness? I would call Baja Designs first, before doing anything that could cause you serious trouble later on.

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
I just recently installed 4 amber LP4 Pros on the front bumper and 2 pairs of white Squadron Pros on the a-pillars. The build quality and light output is worth every penny.

I'm mostly chiming in to mention that I wanted each pair of lights to be controlled independently. I have the factory aux switches, but was wanting the lights to be easier to use on the fly and needed more switches, so I installed the SwitchPros programmable panel and controller.

Here's a pic that doesn't do the brightness any justice, but also shows the switch panel and the 4 out of 8 switches that I'm using to control all 8 lights. You'll want to look into one of these systems for the kind of setup that you described. SwitchPros also has a newer 12 switch programmable system.
20210131_185424.jpg
20210127_195638.jpg
Speaking of Switchpros does anyone know what happened to their website? I placed an order for their panel and mount last week and the website seems down. Called into the number and just goes to voicemail.
Sponsored