Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yea I was thinking on buying that once I save up money

I had my 5" pos in for 30 days, couldnt take it, bought one from https://www.moparonlineparts.com/ No code, no vin. 1 yr warranty. If this one ever goes out ill get one of the after market units. Jeep failed hardcore on the radio and sound system and im not playing around with my tunez.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Flave721

First Name
Alfredo lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport s
I had my 5" pos in for 30 days, couldnt take it, bought one from https://www.moparonlineparts.com/ No code, no vin. 1 yr warranty. If this one ever goes out ill get one of the after market units. Jeep failed hardcore on the radio and sound system and im not playing around with my tunez.
Would you recommend for me to just go aftermarket? I'm buying the radio for $800 used

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Would you recommend for me to just go aftermarket? I'm buying the radio for $800 used
You need to pick out what works for you. I chose the 8.4 becasue i wanted it to look completely factory when i would have to take it in for service. Once my 36K is up i dont care that much, but did not want to give reason to void warranty. The options on the aftermarket are nice because then you dont have to install a LOC if you want to put in additional amp's/speakers. Which also i must mention that when you do go for service find a dealer that has a lot of employee jeeps. These are the guys that will give you a better shot of fixing it right the first time than some of the other headaches other forum members have had. FWIW

OP
OP

Flave721

First Name
Alfredo lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to pick out what works for you. I chose the 8.4 becasue i wanted it to look completely factory when i would have to take it in for service. Once my 36K is up i dont care that much, but did not want to give reason to void warranty. The options on the aftermarket are nice because then you dont have to install a LOC if you want to put in additional amp's/speakers. Which also i must mention that when you do go for service find a dealer that has a lot of employee jeeps. These are the guys that will give you a better shot of fixing it right the first time than some of the other headaches other forum members have had. FWIW
Oh okay I see. That makes sense

OP
OP

Flave721

First Name
Alfredo lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So even though I have the 5in radio if I get the 8.4 I'll have all the features like nav and info about the vehicle, all that kinda stuff

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So even though I have the 5in radio if I get the 8.4 I'll have all the features like nav and info about the vehicle, all that kinda stuff
You will need to have the dealer flash the vehicle to complete the process for offroad pages and vehicle stuff, but the nav will be there regardless. I did not flash mine. Also when puting the 8.4 in it switched the front USB and Console USB to which one talks to apple when i was testing my ipod4. I only use bluetooth with android. Not even a fan of siruis xm so it stays on BT, with the maps engage on the tab.

DOnt forget if you get the 8.4 you will need the outer bezzel

OP
OP

Flave721

First Name
Alfredo lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will need to have the dealer flash the vehicle to complete the process for offroad pages and vehicle stuff, but the nav will be there regardless. I did not flash mine. Also when puting the 8.4 in it switched the front USB and Console USB to which one talks to apple when i was testing my ipod4. I only use bluetooth with android. Not even a fan of siruis xm so it stays on BT, with the maps engage on the tab.

DOnt forget if you get the 8.4 you will need the outer bezzel
Do they charge a lot to flash it?

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Do they charge a lot to flash it?
Dont know....if you have the MT and need the so called TSB that flashes the ECU, you might be able to get a deal if they will already be "performing in that area" of work. Other posts have said anywehre from 100 to 300$ for the flash if i remember correctly.

OP
OP

Flave721

First Name
Alfredo lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont know....if you have the MT and need the so called TSB that flashes the ECU, you might be able to get a deal if they will already be "performing in that area" of work. Other posts have said anywehre from 100 to 300$ for the flash if i remember correctly.
Sorry I had one more question. So I see other 8.4 uconnects being sold but they are off of either a room or a Chrysler. Would those work as well

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Sorry I had one more question. So I see other 8.4 uconnects being sold but they are off of either a room or a Chrysler. Would those work as well
the brackets do not fit to make it mount. but it will plug in and work. saw some one take thier charger and put in wrangler to verify. the brackets are riveted in i believe.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Stick with one from a wrangler or gladiator. The offroad pages can be uploaded if you have a Tazer. They are not cheap but if you are doing any other mods (bigger tires, LED DRLs, LED headlights, etc) it is worth the dollars.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If it's in good shape, $800 is a great deal. Most online vendors selling them used typically charge around $1,500.

OP
OP

Flave721

First Name
Alfredo lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stick with one from a wrangler or gladiator. The offroad pages can be uploaded if you have a Tazer. They are not cheap but if you are doing any other mods (bigger tires, LED DRLs, LED headlights, etc) it is worth the dollars.
What is the offroad page? And a Tazer

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
What is the offroad page? And a Tazer
Doesn’t sound like you need either. Offroad pages show pitch and role when off-road. A Tazer is a programmer for features

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You should do a bit more research on this forum. The radio isn’t the only thing that needs swapping. There is the dash buttons as well.
There are no dash buttons needed to simply swap the radios.
Sponsored