Sponsored

Sahara JL with 295/70/17...no lift

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Awesome, so the +20 (5.75backspace) 17x9 might tuck it under the fender a little but might be too tight underneath?
Would be about a 1/2" in from my setup, probably wouldn't be an issue unless your suspension is really flexed-out or if you plan to lift it at all, but I'd play it safe and get the +1 wheel.

Only reason I'd get the +20 would be if your state has strict fender laws and you need to keep any poke to a minimum.
Sponsored

cbreed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited jl Sahara
Would be about a 1/2" in from my setup, probably wouldn't be an issue unless your suspension is really flexed-out or if you plan to lift it at all, but I'd play it safe and get the +1 wheel.

Only reason I'd get the +20 would be if your state has strict fender laws and you need to keep any poke to a minimum.
really appreciate it!!

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
If a stock sahara with no lift and OEM rims (+44.5 offset) will fit 275/70/R18 tires no problem without any rubbing, if I switched to an aftermarket Fuel rim with either a +1 or +20 offset, would the tires then rub on the internal side due to less positive offset?

Have any comments about a 285/75/18 or 285/70/18 tire with no lift?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If a stock sahara with no lift and OEM rims (+44.5 offset) will fit 275/70/R18 tires no problem without any rubbing, if I switched to an aftermarket Fuel rim with either a +1 or +20 offset, would the tires then rub on the internal side due to less positive offset?

Have any comments about a 285/75/18 or 185/70/18 tire with no lift?

Thank you for your time.
Go ahead and plug as much info as you can into the values on this page, great site for comparing different sizes. FWIW the taller you go w/ the tires the less positive you need w/ the offset to allow for the larger suspension arc.
Here's an example w/ the 275/70/18 on the stock wheel & 285/75/18 on a 8.5 +1 (not sure if the Fuel would be a 8.5 or 9" width though)
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...5-18X8.5ET1&fcl=2in&wcl=1.25in&scl=2in&sr=0in
The +20 would be 19mm further in from the above +1 example.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Go ahead and plug as much info as you can into the values on this page, great site for comparing different sizes. FWIW the taller you go w/ the tires the less positive you need w/ the offset to allow for the larger suspension arc.
Here's an example w/ the 275/70/18 on the stock wheel & 285/75/18 on a 8.5 +1 (not sure if the Fuel would be a 8.5 or 9" width though)
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...5-18X8.5ET1&fcl=2in&wcl=1.25in&scl=2in&sr=0in
The +20 would be 19mm further in from the above +1 example.
The Fuel rims I was looking at are a 9" wide rim. Thanks for the link and info, I will play around with it.

I thought that with a taller tire we would need a negative offset, to push the tire further outside the wheel well. I can't see how putting a bigger tire on the stock rims would be doing us a favor given how much the oem rims are tucked into the wheel well.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Fuel rims I was looking at are a 9" wide rim. Thanks for the link and info, I will play around with it.

I thought that with a taller tire we would need a negative offset, to push the tire further outside the wheel well. I can't see how putting a bigger tire on the stock rims would be doing us a favor given how much the oem rims are tucked into the wheel well.
Check my post again, I said as you go taller in tire you need to go less positive w/ the offset, which would go further toward a negative offset. Don't always need to go negative, but depending on lift, tire & wheel width you may need to.
It's a bit confusing nomenclature :)

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Check my post again, I said as you go taller in tire you need to go less positive w/ the offset, which would go further toward a negative offset. Don't always need to go negative, but depending on lift, tire & wheel width you may need to.
It's a bit confusing nomenclature :)
Thanks for your time Blnewt

Den

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara unlimited
No lift, no spacers. A +18 offset leaves plenty of room. Just go to http://www.rimsntires.com to verify your selection. This calculator was spot on.
[/QUOT
I do not notice any change in road noise. It is a little firm from stock, but I set the psi at 35 all around and I like the ride. I do not rock crawl to determine how much flex. I go offroad to reservoirs in my area to fish and it handles fine with no issues. But these access roads are dirt with some rough spots. My reason for having this setup is mostly for getting to my house and traveling a rough 165 yard driveway. And snow....

I'm still on the fence about whether I would do anything different. I like a lifted vehicle...did so on my trucks, but the issues some are having with lifts bothers me about putting one on. Like some have said, you really don't need a lift unless you crawl and I may end up saving my other parts from wear by keeping it like it is. Who knows, I may do it later, but it sits real nice now and I like the look. There are some here who have the 285/75/17 tires and I see it gets stuffed at flex. I chose to go with a 295/70 because it allowed a little more room. I do move around on some terrain where I bounce around and there is no rub...but, like I said, I have not run it over large rocks or tougher conditions and I may never get that far.

On the speedo thing...I'm not sure if it will self correct. I run past speed signs on the way up and down the mountain where I live and it does show I'm going 1mph faster than the dash reading. Maybe I will give it time to see if it will correct. If not, I will wait for a self tuner and I will handle it later.

This year, I just plan on installing a matte black hood decal, a hood bug / rock shield, newer metal side step and get rid of the plastic ones, and who knows...maybe do the bumpers and get recovery gear to help others who often get stuck on snow days.

Overall, I really like how the Sahara drives and rides...I may not want to mess with that and regret it later...

Sponsored

Den

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara unlimited
Does anyone know what size wide 17x ?? Looking get this set up

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Nice, just waiting for stock tire s to wear out. 4 months and 7500 miles, gettin there

Den

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara unlimited
Does anyone know how wide wheel is

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
I’m nearly certain it would be a 17x9 with a positive +18 offset. He wanted that to keep his tires tucked into his wheel well. Almost all aftermarket 17” wheels for a Jeep application will have a 9” width.

This tire / with the American racing wheel he lists in his post is something any reputable tire / wheel shop can find and fit for you.

Does anyone know how wide wheel is
Sponsored