Sponsored

UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I'm 100% a "mod however makes you happy" person, so I'm definitely not knocking anyone, but I just don't get it when it comes to these doors. What's the appeal? Is it looks? I like having my full doors with power windows cause if I have the top down on the highway I can let the windows up and not get blown away. And if I wanted to go semi doorless I'd just get some tube doors. These seem to be somewhere in the middle and astronomical in price. It just seem like you're paying more for a few less inches of door and no power windows.

And again, not knocking anyone, I do like the look with the halfs and the top down.
For me it is 2 things:
Looks is #1
Visibility when off road is #2

I do not like the way the 4 door looks 100% naked. LOVE my 2 door 100% naked.
Saw a pic of a 4 door "safari style" and loved it!
LOVE the visibility of the trail when 100% naked. These half doors are a compromise.

This is my thinking and what makes me :) AND I suspect if I ever sell (which I highly doubt) there will be an added premium for both sets of color matching doors.

AND no offense taken!
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
For me it is 2 things:
Looks is #1
Visibility when off road is #2

I do not like the way the 4 door looks 100% naked. LOVE my 2 door 100% naked.
Saw a pic of a 4 door "safari style" and loved it!
LOVE the visibility of the trail when 100% naked. These half doors are a compromise.

This is my thinking and what makes me :) AND I suspect if I ever sell (which I highly doubt) there will be an added premium for both sets of color matching doors.

AND no offense taken!
I do feel somewhat more ā€œboxed inā€ with the top down than in previous models, so I get how these doors can help with that. I guess Iā€™m just basing this on the fact I drove a 90s something Jeep for a while and did not like how the plastic window kinda just flopped into the interior. But if you leave the windows off all the time, I do get it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm 100% a "mod however makes you happy" person, so I'm definitely not knocking anyone, but I just don't get it when it comes to these doors. What's the appeal? Is it looks?
For many decades, Jeeps -- CJs and then Wranglers -- came from the factory first with full fabric doors, and then half doors with soft uppers (steel doors only arrived later.)

The JL generation is the first to have excluded this historically correct aesthetic. It's also a practical one, in terms of trail work. That is to say, proper half doors provide a better view when absolutely required for continued safe passage. Yes, the premium that is now required to add what used to be standard equipment is frustrating. Give us a no-cost choice, Stellantis!

Full size steel doors aren't going anywhere, so we needn't worry about the loss of power windows and mirrors.

TomahawkChop

First Name
Jerid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
GH010215_Moment(4).jpg
GH010215_Moment(5).jpg
GH010216_Moment(3).jpg

Pic of the plugs which fill the holes in the doors when the windows are not in and some front window pics:
GH010216_Moment(5).jpg

GH010216_Moment.jpg

GH010217_Moment.jpg

GH010215_Moment.jpg
Wish they would've tinted those windows a little bit more. That seems clearer than the full door's glass

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I am not a huge fan of the half door window pieces but driving around with the half doors and you get caught in the rain on a trail its easy to put the half windows back on and not get blasted with water. But i do prefer fully naked jeep. It gives me the feeling i miss when i was riding motorcycles

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Here are my thoughts after living with half doors for 4 weeks. I love them! No regerts! But they are not for everybody. With my JK, I would pull the top and doors off in the Spring and swap them on and off 4-5 times until Fall when they stayed on. Compared to that, these are so versatile combined with a TrekTop. Rain in the forecast? Ten minutes and it's buttoned up. A little chilly? One minute and the uppers are in. No more lifting those heavy ass doors and fiddling with the electrical connectors. They are actually more comfortable to cruise with than no doors but give nearly the same open air experience.

Pro:
1) Better visibility with uppers off on the street or trail, but not as good as no doors at all.
2) OEM level protection from side impact. Aftermarket half doors lack the beam in the doors.
3) Weight savings, they feel like half the weight of full doors!
4) Perfect height and shape to rest your arm. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'-4" and it fits us both.
5) Appearance. I think they look fantastic!

Con:
1) Cost.
2) Paint doesn't match, at least on my Sting Grey. I don't know if anybody else has noticed.
3) No stops to hold the door open.
With uppers on:
4) Worse visibility. It's very minor now but will get worse as the vinyl ages. The vertical strip barely obstructs the rear view mirror. This will be more of an issue to very tall folks and those that tip their seat way back.
5) Slightly more road noise.
6) You need a place to store an extra set of doors year round.

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does that split drivers window cause and interference with the mirror? Other than that great pics thanks for posting
OK: Here is my story:
-seat "raised" as far up as it will go
-seat pushed back as far as it will go
-"seat back" reclined about 1 notch
-I took picks with my head against the head rest and pics the way I actually drive which is NOT against the head rest
-I put the camera against my chin and filmed

Hope these will help!

Passenger side no issues.
Drivers side I will let you decide

Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far GH010220_Moment

Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far GH010219_Moment(2)

Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far GH010219_Moment(3)

Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far GH010220_Moment(3)

Snazzberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for '21 JLUR, 1974 Vette
Some pics of 1/2 wind
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far GH010220_Moment(3)
ows and all 4 half doors on:
So pretty! I ordered a Snazzberry JLUR with half doors last month and I can't wait to cruise around with the half doors on and top off!

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
OK: Here is my story:
-seat "raised" as far up as it will go
-seat pushed back as far as it will go
-"seat back" reclined about 1 notch
-I took picks with my head against the head rest and pics the way I actually drive which is NOT against the head rest
-I put the camera against my chin and filmed

Hope these will help!

Passenger side no issues.
Drivers side I will let you decide

Thanks, shit canā€™t wait for Jeep parts to release these damn things...got a feeling going to miss a half door summer

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Con:

2) Paint doesn't match, at least on my Sting Grey. I don't know if anybody else has noticed.
I noticed that in a couple of the photos that folks have posted, but figured it was that the half doors were clean whereas rest of car was dirty?

How different is the color change - pretty noticeable it sounds like?

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed that in a couple of the photos that folks have posted, but figured it was that the half doors were clean whereas rest of car was dirty?

Mine match to the best that I can tell. Once I wash them all for the 1st time I will try to remember to post pics.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link

Honestly, I didn't notice at first in person. But when I posted pictures it was pretty obvious. Then I looked closer in person and I can tell. Mine was among the first half doors delivered. I don't know if this is because mine was one of the first, or that Sting Grey looks different from different angles, or if this is going to be an issue with other Jeeps.

I will say that I would get them again despite the issues.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Wow... awesome.... thanks... so much info and helpful pictures.

I drive a JK with half doors all year round for 13 year and canā€™t imagine having a Jeep without them. Itā€™s such a good feeling to drive with all sides open.

I notice now some differences between the JK half doors and JL half doors. I much prefer the JK design, but this wouldnā€™t stop me from buying a JL with half doors, but it would be a disappointment, but Iā€™m sure something I can get used to.
  • Grab handles on inside of doors on JK are hard (molded into door) while on the JL they are straps and seem more forward on door. I wonder about longevity of straps. Forward location of strap seems suboptimal when pulling door closed.
  • The JK uppers donā€™t have the split windows. Much better visibility and I like how you can tuck the window between the dashboard and door keeping it in place. I am begging to understand they did the split so you can get to the buttons on the front of the door. On the JK there where no buttons on the door to worry about.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
For comparison with JK half doors. These are pictures I have handy right now.

Recent:
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far 02360A90-78AC-4A61-AA9F-C6E99E1DF36D

Long time ago. This was a bad idea to put a 37ā€ tire on the roof. Only lasted a few days.
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far 37F2074D-B4B5-4063-943A-3F840CB90079

Old pictures like
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far 76D5779E-2C43-4A11-804B-11A788C875F1

Half doors good for feeding animals at safaris. Old pictures.
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far 523512F0-59E1-4623-B914-827FE07B62A9

Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE: all 4 halves on and soft window pics, post #8 -Half-Doors on the back half only...so far 6CB2D6D5-3618-48CB-8466-D4EB1BAD56BE

We were supposed to go kayaking but took a little detour on the way
Sponsored