2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Well that sucks for me then. :lol: I don't pay enough in taxes to even get close to the full rebate.
There's always an option to increase your tax liability by doing things like selling an appreciated asset or taking funds out of your 401(k) early. I advise against that second one, but if you have some stocks that have run up, those would be a good option.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
There's always an option to increase your tax liability by doing things like selling an appreciated asset or taking funds out of your 401(k) early. I advise against that second one, but if you have some stocks that have run up, those would be a good option.
One option for a 401k or IRA may be to convert enough to a Roth to cover your $7500 tax liability. One downside to that is you have to wait 5 years and be over 59 1/2 to use your Roth.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
One option for a 401k or IRA may be to convert enough to a Roth to cover your $7500 tax liability. One downside to that is you have to wait 5 years and be over 59 1/2 to use your Roth.
That's another great idea: Roth conversion. That said, though, you can access the money you put into a Roth after 5 years. But you can't touch the interest until 59.5 without penality.

squest77

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango, Chrysler Pacifica
Thanks for all the info! Getting ready to place my order for the 4xe. Just to confirm, as an individual are we limited as to how many times to buy a qualified car and get the credit? I assume no more than one per year.

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Just to confirm, as an individual are we limited as to how many times to buy a qualified car and get the credit? I assume no more than one per year.
Iā€™ve never seen anything to indicate you are limited to one per year. Some indirect evidence can be found on IRS Form 8936 (the form to claim the credit). It contains two (2) columns to claim up to two PHEV credits on the same form. Then it says near the top of Part I:

ā€Use a separate column for each vehicle. If you need more columns,
use additional Forms 8936 and include the totals on lines 12 and 19.ā€

If the credit were limited to one PHEV credit per tax return, there wouldnā€™t be two columns on the form. If it were limited to one PHEV credit per person, even a jointly filed return would only need a maximum of two columns; there would be no need to reference an additional form for vehicles 3, 4, etc.

Hereā€™s a link to the IRS Form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8936--2021.pdf

Last edited:

hisdigness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Sahara
I hoping they do what most manufacturer's do and pass the full credit along to us that are leasing as a cap cost reduction. I understand they are t obligated to but I think they did that with the Pacific's so it makes sense to do it here.

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
I am pretty bummed about the fact that California will not be offering any rebates on PHEV vehicles that donā€™t meet >30 electric miles as per EPA.
Also for folks who are thinking of purchasing Jeep from out of state may need to pay heed to the Cali rules below.

• Be registered as new in California. Vehicles may not be purchased, leased, or delivered out of state. Purchases/leases must be made via a California purchase or lease contract. Vehicles ordered online and delivered outside of California are not eligible. The seller's address as reflected on the purchase or lease agreement must be in California.
  • Have an odometer reading below 7,500 miles at the time of purchase or lease.
  • Effective April 6, 2021, the AER requirement for eligible Light-Duty Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) will be increased to 30 miles EPA (45 miles UDDS).

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I am pretty bummed about the fact that California will not be offering any rebates on PHEV vehicles that donā€™t meet >30 electric miles as per EPA.
Also for folks who are thinking of purchasing Jeep from out of state may need to pay heed to the Cali rules below.

• Be registered as new in California. Vehicles may not be purchased, leased, or delivered out of state. Purchases/leases must be made via a California purchase or lease contract. Vehicles ordered online and delivered outside of California are not eligible. The seller's address as reflected on the purchase or lease agreement must be in California.
  • Have an odometer reading below 7,500 miles at the time of purchase or lease.
  • Effective April 6, 2021, the AER requirement for eligible Light-Duty Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) will be increased to 30 miles EPA (45 miles UDDS).
Actually, for once in California, I agree with their rules. I just doesn't make sense for California to be subsidizing a car like a the 4xe that does not get better mileage or have longer range. Of course I would take it if offered but understand why it isn't.

As far as buying out of state, you can do it, you just would not be eligible for any rebates but that is not a problem now anyway. I also makes sense not to subsidize out of State dealerships.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
What are the CA state rebates that apply to the 4xe prior to April 6?

Sponsored

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Another twist in the EV tax credit game is the latest proposal by the Biden administration to boost the EV tax credit from $7,500 to $10,000 (among other changes). Itā€™s part of his multi-trillion $ infrastructure plan.

Obviously, these plans never look the same after they come out of the Washington sausage-making machine. And even if it does come to fruition, we donā€™t know whether it would be retroactive for purchases back to January 1st (unlikely), or start at a later date, but this could be a silver lining to some of the folks who are still waiting on taking delivery.

I just ordered my 4xe last week, so Iā€™m thinking the chances of Congress coming to an agreement on an infrastructure bill before my 4xe is delivered is slim at best. Then again, with microchip shortages, EPA rating surprises, pandemics, and railway problems...ya never really know. Might be a close race!

supamyk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xE
All - I and putting a deposit down tomorrow for my Wrangler 4xe (it will be replacing my Cherokee Trailhawk), so I have been trolling these forums. I have noticed some confusion and misinformation about the tax credit. I have done it twice now, First for my BMW i3, and then a couple of years ago for my Chevy Bolt that I still have. So I thought I'd give some advice and some hints.

Yes the $7500 tax credit is really $7500, at least for the vast majority of people who are buying a $50k+ car. As long as you owe at least $7500 in tax you can take the full federal tax credit, and that is a full real $7500, which is very different from a deduction which just reduces your income. The easiest way to check is to look at your 2019 tax return and look for the line that says ā€œThis Is your total taxā€œ (itā€™s line 16 on the 2019 1040). As long as your "total tax" is greater than $7500 you will get the full $7500. For me it's $25k, well above $7500, so I have nothing to worry about. So unless you have a dozen kids or some weird businesses deductions or something odd, most people who are affording a car like a 4xe will have a tax liability well above $7500. (now if it's less than $7500 then you get a credit for whatever it is. if you owe $5000 you can get a $5000 credit, if you donā€™t owe taxes then you don't get anything). So lets say on a normal year you owe $25k in taxes and have $24k withheld, so you normally pay $1000 (which BTW is what you should do, getting a big refund just means you gave the IRS a year long interest free loan, but that's getting on a tangent). So if you did nothing different, with the $7500 credit you would owe only $17,500 in tax, minus the $24k you had withheld, you would get a $6500 refund instead of owing $1000.

Now none of us are going to get this car until Feb/March next year even if we already put down our deposit, this tax credit will reflect on your 2021 taxes that you pay in early 2022. So no, you cannot take this tax credit on the taxes that you are about to do in a couple of months. So basically, you have to ā€˜frontā€™ this $7500 for a year before you actually can get the money. But there is a trick you can do thatā€™s fully legal, and that I have done twice. You can change your withholdings so that you get less money withheld from your paycheck during all of 2021 (Form W-4). So this way instead of waiting till early 2022 you could get this money throughout all of 2021. What you do is change your withholding allowances so that you get enough for as many paychecks as you have left for the rest of the year to come fairly close to $7500 by your last paycheck in 2021. For instance, I get paid biweekly, and each withholding allowance is about $50 to me (yours may be very different, there are withholding calculators on the IRS website). So let's say I get my car March 1st, which leaves me about 20 biweekly paychecks left. $7500/20=$375. So to be a little conservative I will probably Add 6 to my withholding (The more allowances you claim on your form W-4, the less income tax will be withheld from each paycheck) which will give me roughly $300 more per paycheck. Now very important, if you do this you absolutely have to remember to reduce your withholdings back down at the beginning of the next year, 2022 in this case!!! (Otherwise you might find yourself with a huge bill and possible penalties in early 2023)

Hope that helps some. ā€“ John

PS - If you're looking for a good level 2 charger look at Clipper Creek. They make excellent chargers that are significantly cheaper than buying a charger through a dealer. I have had mine 5+ years, installed in one house in a carport, moved and installed in another in a garage and it has worked perfect since day 1.
So if I normally get a refund each year of say $10,000, is it fair to say that next year I will get back an extra $7,500 making my refund $17,500?

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
So if I normally get a refund each year of say $10,000, is it fair to say that next year I will get back an extra $7,500 making my refund $17,500?
Yes, if nothing else in your tax situation changes.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
There's a great post someone made explaining in detail how it works, but it has nothing to do with refunds it's all about your tax liability. You just need to have at least 7500 of liability to get the full tax credit.

Getting 10k back just means you overpaid for that tax year
Sponsored