Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think my stock wheels are already ripped up.

This article talks a bit about 35’s on stock. It looks like they tested on wheels that have 5.5” of backspacing. They’re close at the fenders, but not sure about the inside.
Does your chosen lift discuss backspacing? That is something I’d worry about. I’d do a lot of reading before going with wheel spacers, and not on forums.
Sponsored

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
I have read a lot on spacers, and I've never personally used them. But, from what I've read hub-centric spacers like the spidertrax are way better than generic non-hub-centric spacers. Thats really the only reason I'm even considering it.

Reactions: J0E

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have read a lot on spacers, and I've never personally used them. But, from what I've read hub-centric spacers like the spidertrax are way better than generic non-hub-centric spacers. Thats really the only reason I'm even considering it.
I ran OEM wheels on my JK with 285/75/17 tires. It did not need the Spidertrax spacer but I added them to kick the rubber to the edge of the fender. I check the torque on the spacers every tire rotation and I had zero issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? IMG_2300

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I think my stock wheels are already ripped up.

This article talks a bit about 35’s on stock. It looks like they tested on wheels that have 5.5” of backspacing. They’re close at the fenders, but not sure about the inside.
Does your chosen lift discuss backspacing? That is something I’d worry about. I’d do a lot of reading before going with wheel spacers, and not on forums.
[/QUOTE

My JLUR has a 2 in lift with 315/70s and no spacers. there is no issues with rubbing at all.

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
not crazy at all.. it's a huge cost.. and i like the look of them.. The only draw back is you really shouldn't put a 12.5" wide tire on them.. though you should nitto makes some 11.5" MR or RT tires that would fit the wheel well in teh 35" range.. would be lighter and dow well in snow and sand..

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
35 is the diameter, not width.
With that said, my 35s are the same width as stock rubicon tires. (285)

So zero issues there.
Seriously? I can't believe you just said that.

Many of the larger tires are wider to compensate for the larger diameter.

12.5 is a popular width for 35 tires.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
not crazy at all.. it's a huge cost.. and i like the look of them.. The only draw back is you really shouldn't put a 12.5" wide tire on them.. though you should nitto makes some 11.5" MR or RT tires that would fit the wheel well in teh 35" range.. would be lighter and dow well in snow and sand..
What is the width of the stock OEM Rubicon rim?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Seriously? I can't believe you just said that.

Many of the larger tires are wider to compensate for the larger diameter.

12.5 is a popular width for 35 tires.
So which part can't you believe?

I stand corrected, 35 is the diameter of the tire, not the width, which why tire sizes are listed as for example 35x11.5R17 or 285/75R18 etc.

There are other width to pick from.

Yes, 12.5 is a popular width but not the only choice.

I believe when you are trying to pick a tire that fits your setup, obviously you want to pick a tire that fits.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I love the stock Rubicon wheels and that's why I kept them for my current 35's. I want to swap to 37's but, I don't want to buy new wheels I never can find any that I like. the OEM rims have just enough black/polished look. I'm not a fan of all black or any of the flashy colored wheels on the market. I wish Jeep would just release a 8.5" Rubicon rim.
Jeep didn't do it, but Quadratec did

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/morphic-wheel-wrangler-jl-jk/machined

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
"Because we humans are inherently social animals and subconsciously we do care what others think of us. This is why we brush and make our hair in the morning and dress nicely and put on deodorant etc.
In the end, positive opinions from others improves your well-being one way or another. So yes, it does matter even if someone is socially awkward and don’t want to admit it."

haha, Like the OP I don't brush my hair in the morning. Postive opinions from folks I don't know are always appreciated but I can live with my decision when rationally conceived.
A 12.5 wide tire on a 7.5" wide wheel is irrational IMO. I did not care for the '19 Rubicon daisy style wheels looks either.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
What is the width of the stock OEM Rubicon rim?
it's a 7.5" wide wheel.. and specs on any of the big tires everyone runs require ussually an 8" wide wheel.. You can technically mount the wider tire on the thinner wheel.. but then for warranty you are outside spec on your tire warranty. And it caused the wheel to round more, and contributes to faster tread wear. But honestly a 35x11.5r17 tire is a great option if you really do your research.. it won't stick out as far and kick crap on your jeep.. will cut thru sand and snow well.. won't grab the side of the road as hard and pull.. and it will be lighter giving you a quicker more nimble driving experience.. if i was trying to save money, and liked the stock wheel which i do.. I would go that route for sure..

here are a few good threads on the subject, with pics and opinions
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/more-narrow-35in-tires.5431/page-5#post-916166
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/narrow-and-light-35s.3790/

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think BFG also makes an 11" 35.
OP, you might just put the tires on (I agree about not going wider than a 11.5 on the stock wheel) and see if you even want a lift. For the four wheeling you're talking about doing you may be just fine, and keeping lower center of gravity is almost always a plus!

Shouldn't need spacers if you go that route first since you have the nice & wide Rubicon axles :)
Sponsored