Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Hi, everyone. My name is Matt and I, too, like my stock Rubi wheels...
It's your vehicle why would you care what someone else thinks about your Jeep? If you like your wheels, keep them and smile at 'em.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yep. Personally, I find the stock Sahara wheels (skinny 35s & no spacers) look better than most aftermarket options out there. That’s just IMO.

But hey, whatever float your boats right? For me, I like to keep $1500 in my pockets to do whatever.

Also, I get a lot of praise on these wheels, even though they are stock. Interestingly even my clueless dealer service rep told me my ‘custom’ rims looked “bling”.

So hey, if people can’t even tell they’re stock. I’ll take that as a compliment. :LOL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? A5368508-ED20-4390-83A3-4D43E6B9B739

Last edited:

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
People have differing views about putting 35's on the stock wheels. Some say 35's are too wide for the narrow wheels. Some say it is no big deal.

That would be the only issue in my view.

I would stay away from spacers. Just one more thing to go wrong.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
All kidding aside, I'm right there with you! We are keeping out stock Rubicon wheels and putting 315/70R17 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's on them. No spacers needed with the 2" Mopar lift.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
People have differing views about putting 35's on the stock wheels. Some say 35's are too wide for the narrow wheels. Some say it is no big deal.

That would be the only issue in my view.

I would stay away from spacers. Just one more thing to go wrong.
35 is the diameter, not width.
With that said, my 35s are the same width as stock rubicon tires. (285)

So zero issues there.

Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It's your vehicle why would you care what someone else thinks about your Jeep? If you like your wheels, keep them and smile at 'em.
Oh, just playing off of the support group trope.

I likes what I likes and don't care what anyone else says I should like. 😁

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I love the stock Rubicon wheels and that's why I kept them for my current 35's. I want to swap to 37's but, I don't want to buy new wheels I never can find any that I like. the OEM rims have just enough black/polished look. I'm not a fan of all black or any of the flashy colored wheels on the market. I wish Jeep would just release a 8.5" Rubicon rim.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
I like the look of my stock Altitude wheels. However they are 18" and I would prefer 17" so I can have more rubber on a 35" tire.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Oh, just playing off of the support group trope.

I likes what I likes and don't care what anyone else says I should like. 😁
Because we humans are inherently social animals and subconsciously we do care what others think of us. This is why we brush our teeth and make our hair in the morning and dress nicely and put on deodorant etc.

In the end, positive opinions from others improve your well-being one way or another. So yes, it probably does matter even if someone is socially awkward and don’t want to admit it.

Last edited:

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I love the stock Rubicon wheels and that's why I kept them for my current 35's. I want to swap to 37's but, I don't want to buy new wheels I never can find any that I like. the OEM rims have just enough black/polished look. I'm not a fan of all black or any of the flashy colored wheels on the market. I wish Jeep would just release a 8.5" Rubicon rim.
The Mopar Bead-Lock-Capable wheels are the only other ones that I've considered. They're 8", not 8.5" though.

Hard to drop $2,000 when I do like the Rubicon wheels, though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 1617824564393
Sponsored