Sponsored

Willys Selec-Trac with 4.10s in the Rear and Rubi Front Axle

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
I'm ordering a '21 Wrangler and need some advice. I've always wanted a 2 dr Jeep. It will be used for 98% street driving, 2% OBX beach vacations and maybe the occasional muddy mountain trail on weekends. I live in hilly/mountainous terrain that likes low gears, intend to upsize the tires to 35s maybe 37s, and enjoy quicker acceleration, therefore I want 4.10s. There is no crawling in my future, so I really don't need the 4:1 t-case and lockers front and rear. In fact, I prefer an LSD in the rear for day to day duties. Lastly, we get maybe 5 snow events a year that come and go in a few days, this leaves the roads patchy, so I'm considering going with the full time Selec-Trac or Rock-Trac option. Not a big fan of CV boots, but I also don't see me driving my expensive jeep into "stick-pokey" terrain anytime soon (if ever).

To sum it up, I'd like the 4.10's, heavier brakes, suspension, and the 44 axles front/rear of the Rubicon but want an LSD rear and the 2.72:1 fulltime 4WD t-case of the Willys.

What is the best way to get everything I want and keep reliability?
My thought is put 4.10s in a Selec-Trac Willys with it's LSD rear and a take out 4.10 Rubi front axle.
This gives me the 4.10s, heavier everything, and even the potential to engage the front locker in a pinch.
Am I missing something?
Is there another way to do it?
Would the standard Rubi front axle even be compatible? If it is, why did Jeep but a CV axle upfront in the Sahara in the first place? Do they use CVs in the Rubicon Rock-Trac front locker?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Buy a Rubicon and swap out the rear locker. Or get the Rubicon with the full-time Rocktrac and don’t listen to the people that say its not good on the street

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

rubicon axles are 1.5" wider than the rest of the jeep line up. i do believe your best option would be get a willys and regear to 4.10. 35's on the dana 44/30 front should be ok if your not rock crawling and desert running plus if your not in need of the ground clearance that rock crawlers need then 35's would be a better match for you rig than 37's IMO. ive been on a few " difficult " trails with my stock 44/30 with LSD on 33's and never once got stuck.

OP
OP

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
Buy a Rubicon and swap out the rear locker. Or get the Rubicon with the full-time Rocktrac and don’t listen to the people that say its not good on the street
Possibly I am overthinking the benefit of the LSD anyways. I've always just ordered my vehicles with a limited slip when given the option. I'm used to the characteristics of getting power to both rear wheels...limited of course. I envision punching a Rubicon on a wet road and having a one-legger moment: spinning with no forward movement. Perhaps it is too underpowered to be a problem and/or the traction and BLD systems keep it from even being an issue.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Possibly I am overthinking the benefit of the LSD anyways. I've always just ordered my vehicles with a limited slip when given the option. I'm used to the characteristics of getting power to both rear wheels...limited of course. I envision punching a Rubicon on a wet road and having a one-legger moment: spinning with no forward movement. Perhaps it is too underpowered to be a problem and/or the traction and BLD systems keep it from even being an issue.
I picked up my ‘21 Rubicon with full-time 4wd last October and never once wished for a rear LSD, zero issues in the snow, ice, wet or dry roads. Maybe I would have a different opinion if mine didn’t have the full-time feature.
The traction control works surprisingly well

Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Here is an out of the box option. A Gladiator Sport S with the max tow option has 4.10 gears, an LSD rear and Rubicon axles minus lockers. Sport trac is also available. It's also $7-8k cheaper than a JLUR. It's not a 2 door and it is bigger, but it checks a lot of your boxes in a cost effective manner. It will also tow a boat or trailer if needed. I want a JT max tow, but I'm here because the Mrs wants a Wrangler.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm ordering a '21 Wrangler and need some advice. I've always wanted a 2 dr Jeep. It will be used for 98% street driving, 2% OBX beach vacations and maybe the occasional muddy mountain trail on weekends. I live in hilly/mountainous terrain that likes low gears, intend to upsize the tires to 35s maybe 37s, and enjoy quicker acceleration, therefore I want 4.10s. There is no crawling in my future, so I really don't need the 4:1 t-case and lockers front and rear. In fact, I prefer an LSD in the rear for day to day duties. Lastly, we get maybe 5 snow events a year that come and go in a few days, this leaves the roads patchy, so I'm considering going with the full time Selec-Trac or Rock-Trac option. Not a big fan of CV boots, but I also don't see me driving my expensive jeep into "stick-pokey" terrain anytime soon (if ever).

To sum it up, I'd like the 4.10's, heavier brakes, suspension, and the 44 axles front/rear of the Rubicon but want an LSD rear and the 2.72:1 fulltime 4WD t-case of the Willys.

What is the best way to get everything I want and keep reliability?
My thought is put 4.10s in a Selec-Trac Willys with it's LSD rear and a take out 4.10 Rubi front axle.
This gives me the 4.10s, heavier everything, and even the potential to engage the front locker in a pinch.
Am I missing something?
Is there another way to do it?
Would the standard Rubi front axle even be compatible? If it is, why did Jeep but a CV axle upfront in the Sahara first place? Is it CV in the Rock-Trac Rubi locker?
Sounds like the 4xe Sahara might be up your alley.
If you can overlook the 4dr part.

https://media.fcanorthamerica.com/download.do?id=22140&mid=1

OP
OP

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Crusader: That’s a pretty impressive savings. Makes no sense really. Bigger vehicle, better equipped yet cheaper?
Wow. Too bad I’m set on a Wrangler.

@Arterius2: Close. Looks like it has 3.73 gears....and I’m really digging the 2 door.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
For what you’re describing as your use, a Rubicon is serious overkill. Any Wrangler will do what you want, and one with a limited slip is even more capable. I’d strongly suggest you just get a Sport S or Willy’s with limitedslip and actually DRIVE it a while. If you need to research you always can, but lots of folks are running 33’s, 35’s and even 37’s with stock gears and are very happy with the result. If your happy stock you’ll save a chunk of $$, if not there will always be gears available. I’ve got a Sport S, limited slip, Rubi take off wheels/tires (33”) and Rockhard Patriot bumpers front and rear with a 9500lb Smittybilt winch. My little 2.0 has a lot of pep and is a very zippy little rig, and it’s gone places a LOT more difficult than what you’re asking of yours. Oh, and I’m averaging >24 mpg’s (unheard of in earlier models!). Think before you spend...

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned Rubicons with lockers and Saharas with LSDs: lockers come in very handy when you really need them, but you will get to use them 1% or 2% of the entire time you own the Jeep. You will use that LSD 100% of the time.

For me, lockers made sense when I lived in California, where the weather is always perfect and I could take the Jeep on hard trails.

But the moment the weather becomes unpredictable, winters get cold, and I need traction on a wider array of surfaces and driving conditions, I find the LSD is a LOT more useful.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, after having owned both lockers and LSDs, I’d say that one gets a psychological boost in having that button to push to activate the lockers; that’s something a LSD doesn’t have.

Pressing that button makes you well aware of the added traction you get.

Because the LSD is always working, it is easy to forget that it is helping you get through conditions that you’d have you stuck if the LSD wasn’t there.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
For me, lockers made sense when I lived in California, where the weather is always perfect and I could take the Jeep on hard trails.
Also because, most of our roads in California need an "off-road" trail rating system nowadays! Im thinking 1-5 spilled coffee cups. :swear:

To your questions though; it sounds like Willys with upgraded gears and maybe Dana 44 ultimate axle up front if you want to go crazy with it. Should tick all your boxes.

OP
OP

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To your questions though; it sounds like Willys with upgraded gears and maybe Dana 44 ultimate axle up front if you want to go crazy with it. Should tick all your boxes.
If one was to go this route, would a non-CV axle (Ultimate, Currie, etc.) be compatible? I ask because Jeep choose to go the CV axle route with the Selec-Trac for some reason. I haven't heard the reasoning behind it. I don't know whether the Rock-Trac Rubicon front axle (w/lockers) has CVs. Do they?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If one was to go this route, I wonder if a non-CV axle would be compatible. I ask because Jeep choose to go the CV axle route for some reason. I haven't heard the reasoning behind it.
CV axles eliminate crow-hopping due to the limitations of the U-joints when making sharp turns.
If your Jeep has selec-trac, it will have CV axles.

Overall, I prefer the CV axles since it gives a much smoother turning experience.

Also, FYI, both the 392 and 4xe Rubicons have the CV axles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Selec-Trac with 4.10s in the Rear and Rubi Front Axle Jeep_Wrangler_392_Concept_2

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Selec-Trac with 4.10s in the Rear and Rubi Front Axle 2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe
Sponsored

Last edited: