www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

IMO a question like that only goes two ways. poking to see what kinda money you have. and or just general conversation. I've had my neighbor ask about my Pickup truck and my jeep. The truck was free ninety nine ( company truck ) and my jeep was 38K smiles

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If you really want to throw your neighbor for a loop, tell him what a fully loaded 392 goes for. You’ll have his head spinning for sure.
And for that extra bit of head spin, mention what a "base" 392 stickers for.

It’s like people blacking out their plate number in social media posts, you do realize you drive around and park everywhere with your “secret” plate number exposed right?
The people walking past our vehicles in the store parking lot are peacefully going about their business in life. They can't and shouldn't be compared to the rube on the other side of the computer screen, staring at a static and functionally permanent photo of the license plate on your Wrangler, wondering how he can dox you in retaliation for a post of yours that he doesn't agree with.

Who cares?? Why is everyone so offended by things these days??
A very successful movie franchise was built around the idea that other people's business is their business. Tread lightly, yes?

I don't disagree with you that the very idea of offense is pretty shopworn these days. Is there too much fake butthurt? You bet. The original, core boundaries of Offense are still things to be respected, though. Basic manners continue to matter.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
And for that extra bit of head spin, mention what a "base" 392 stickers for.

The people walking past our vehicles in the store parking lot are peacefully going about their business in life. They can't and shouldn't be compared to the rube on the other side of the computer screen, staring at a static and functionally permanent photo of the license plate on your Wrangler, wondering how he can dox you in retaliation for a post of yours that he doesn't agree with.

A very successful movie franchise was built around the idea that other people's business is their business. Tread lightly, yes?

I don't disagree with you that the very idea of offense is pretty shopworn these days. Is there too much fake butthurt? You bet. The original, core boundaries of Offense are still things to be respected, though. Basic manners continue to matter.
Dox you how from a license plate number? Report you for reckless driving? Unless a cop sees it, all they do is mail you a letter telling you to drive more carefully. A neighbor you piss off on the other hand could report you for a hit and run during the hours you actually drive, on the routes you actually drive, that would lead to a real investigation. Your license plate number is harmless in the hands of internet trolls.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
While washing my week old JL for the first time my neighbor next door came over to take a look.
But he caught me off guard by asking what I paid...Its not like asking my wife's bra size but I don't think I would ask....and especially since he's not in the market.

Ideas?
Is what I paid sensitive information? I'll happily tell anyone what I paid, and give them any advice that might be helpful if they'd like to buy one.

Sponsored

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
I don't mind when people ask me how much I make, how much I paid for my house, how much my vehicles cost, etc... Sharing salary/pricing information is a good way to let people know if they're being underpaid/being taken advantage of.

The only people you're helping by not sharing this kind of information is corporations. Who, coincidentally, made it taboo to talk about this kind of information in the first place. I wonder why?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I Have a neighbor with nose trouble, couple years back was test driving a Sahara, bought a Rubicon.

Anyhow stoped at my house while wife went in for a second. popped the hood to look at the 2.0 and BSG. neighbor walks over on her walk, she announces your not buying another one! Me, thinking about it, wanted to test drive one with the Turbo. She looks at the window sticker, and announces in a negative tone 48K for one of these!

Me, the price of quality is never cheap, and said instead of a X1 Beamer wagon you could have one of these with 4WD and convertible, plus one of the highest resale values unlike your X1 ;)

budpitman

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
SW HW Engineer
if you must ask the price you cannot afford it.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
“More than what your wife charged me the other night.”

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wbino

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
🚨🚨🚨
Hey guys/girls....
Best part is I'm picking up my wifes GC in about an hour.....
this story might repeat itself in the coming days............😅
I'll have a better answer ready.........

(These are our grandparent Jeeps till we kick it👀)

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
As a millennial I get asked that and how much I make a lot by boomers. It’s only asked for one reason. To Judge you. With this info they want to be able to assess a new purchase and say, he has enough, he can afford it or he doesn’t have enough, why is he spending that. It’s a control thing. I keep my income and expenses 100% private.

OP
OP
Wbino

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As a millennial I get asked that and how much I make a lot by boomers. It’s only asked for one reason. To Judge you. With this info they want to be able to assess a new purchase and say, he has enough, he can afford it or he doesn’t have enough, why is he spending that. It’s a control thing. I keep my income and expenses 100% private.
so how do/would you handle the question w/o looking paranoid ?

OP
OP
Wbino

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Is what I paid sensitive information? I'll happily tell anyone what I paid, and give them any advice that might be helpful if they'd like to buy one.
After he came over to see it....I made him get in..."I'm not buying one" his response. 👀🗽
Sponsored