Sponsored

California 4XE Ordering

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
(snip...)
and I believe you have to have your jeep smogged when you come back in the State (snip...)
I've bought a couple of new vehicles out of state (California). You do have to have the vehicle smog checked (even though it is new), and if it's truck, weighed. You will have to go to DMV where they look over the vehicle before you go inside to get your registration and tags. Not a big deal, but a little more effort than buying from a California dealer where none of that applies.
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I've bought a couple of new vehicles out of state (California). You do have to have the vehicle smog checked (even though it is new), and if it's truck, weighed. You will have to go to DMV where they look over the vehicle before you go inside to get your registration and tags. Not a big deal, but a little more effort than buying from a California dealer where none of that applies.
I bought I truck once in Idaho and remember having to get it weighed when I moved back to California. I remember running the fuel almost empty and taking everything I could out of it. Not sure it saved me any money I was not taking any chances. Did not have to smog because back then they did not worry about diesels.

I know there is added hassle buying out of State. The big plus for me was negotiations took about 20 minutes over a computer. I just hate the song and dance at dealerships. Also a good excuse for a road trip. Still think I am saving money but deal is not done yet so we will see.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a big deal with DMV if you buy out of state. Just letting others know what is involved. It's not that difficult, but it is different than buying in state. By the way, bring your check book to DMV, in addition to license and registration, you'll be paying sales tax on the cost of the vehicle. No way around that. :)

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Not a big deal with DMV if you buy out of state. Just letting others know what is involved. It's not that difficult, but it is different than buying in state. By the way, bring your check book to DMV, in addition to license and registration, you'll be paying sales tax on the cost of the vehicle. No way around that. :)
But isn't that done at the dealer? Or you're saying if I purchase out of state that they don't charge sales tax but instead I pay that when I go to CA DMV?

AC4Xe

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I’m coming from northern CA to Orange County for mine and as of today will have my 5th change in shipping date. I’m super happy for those have them coming but am waaaay past patiently waiting. The dealers in my area have them in route with stickers and it’ll be hard not to drop onto one of the lots and grab one close to my build specs.

Rydell seems to be more informative than TuttleClick.
I am using Auburn Jeep. I order 1/9 and they told me 4/16. They did have dealer orders as well that they expect to get in soon as well.

Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
But isn't that done at the dealer? Or you're saying if I purchase out of state that they don't charge sales tax but instead I pay that when I go to CA DMV?
I just assumed that I would be paying when I went to the DMV but my dealer in Idaho told me they would be taking tax and license out and sending it to the California DMV.

BiscuitEater

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
FYI - I remember seeing some other posts of deliveries to CA dealerships of 4/16. Jeep chat gave me an ETA to dealership (Orange County) of 4/19-5/3.
Any bets on who gets them first, Northern or Southern CA?

AC4Xe

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
FYI - I remember seeing some other posts of deliveries to CA dealerships of 4/16. Jeep chat gave me an ETA to dealership (Orange County) of 4/19-5/3.
I would guess Northern due to the rail station being in Benicia. However, they probably shipped everything through TX first. LOL

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
was told 4/7 to 4/15 arrival at Rydell in San Fernando....not holding my breath though 😁.....quite a few of us there, so wonder who will post first?!

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
was told 4/7 to 4/15 arrival at Rydell in San Fernando....not holding my breath though 😁.....quite a few of us there, so wonder who will post first?!
No wonder Juan isn't responding to my emails. He's dealing with all you guys first lol.
Been trying to schedule a test drive when they arrive but sounds like those are going to be sold.

Maybe I'll be able to test drive one of your guys 4xe before you take delivery 😂 Don't worry I'll just take it down sepulveda and hit the 118 and floor it to chatsworth 😂

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't recall if I had the option to pay the taxes at the dealer. This was a new truck purchase in 2004. I bought a used truck in 2017 and didn't pay tax at the dealer either (both purchases in Texas). Both times I paid at DMV.

Also, as I recall, at least in Texas, there were Texas fees I had to pay. Texas required the vehicle to go through their DMV. Then all paperwork was taken (by me) to California DMV.

With so many tax variations in California (county by county), I'm not sure if the out of state dealer would know what rate to charge you.
If you're getting a loan, then rolling tax into the loan is probably what you want/need to do. Check with your dealer is the only advice I can give you.

Some information here https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/buy-sell/buying-selling-faqs.php

Last edited:

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Ending point = Invoice less 6% or 7%
Which CA dealers are starting at 1% less invoice? The ones I've spoken to the lowest is 2% OVER invoice and they don't honor tread lightly.

So if you can let us know which CA dealers are starting at 1% below invoice, that would be very much appreciated
I gave a call to Rydell and they currently offer 1000 dollar (1.5ish percent) below invoice for custom order 4xe. This is the best deal I can find so far, I dealt with silvana and just say you heard deal from Wendao.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I gave a call to Rydell and they currently offer 1000 dollar (1.5ish percent) below invoice for custom order 4xe. This is the best deal I can find so far, I dealt with silvana and just say you heard deal from Wendao.
Thanks. Do you know if their finance arm applies the $7,500 credit as a CCRA to the Lease? Ally has a deal right now where they will apply the 4xe $7,500 as a capital cost reduction so you get the benefit right away.

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Thanks. Do you know if their finance arm applies the $7,500 credit as a CCRA to the Lease? Ally has a deal right now where they will apply the 4xe $7,500 as a capital cost reduction so you get the benefit right away.
I am not sure about lease as I got purchase quote. but in general for lease, all the rebates usually apply as capital cost reduction.
Sponsored