Sponsored

Kirtm333

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I think it’s important to try to break down what went wrong here and learn from it.
1. Throttle response was too chaotic and you can see the suspension unloading and hanging that front passenger tire. Better gearing advantage and crawl ratio can help here (cue the do I need to regear in 37” tires questions).
2. once in trouble, stop and settle the chassis. Re evaluate.
3. Risk Vs. reward on this obstacle just isn’t there. Look at the off-camber drop off he rolled down. That shelf isn’t a huge challenge for that rig on its own, so why try it when you are looking at such A big off-camber drop ? risky.
4. If you end up in this situation on a trail, where it can feel like “do or die” strap the right to an anchor point or rig.

Not meant to criticize the driver here, just trying to share what I see. I think the majority of our forum are not rock crawlers.
Throttle response was good
40’s and 5:13 gears, crawls awesome
was in reverse but it took to long to engage... computer lag
Definitely not a mall crawler, but didn’t make that climb

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Watching that and my internal monologue is like “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...”

Cap would not be proud!

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@Kirtm333 I’m relatively new and inexperienced at off-roading. I try to wheel in a way to expand my abilities and gain experience, but without undue risk to my vehicle, my health, my life, the trail, or other people. If you’re not a professional stunt driver and you’ve rolled a vehicle over more than a dozen times, do you absolutely suck at what you’re doing or are you doing it on purpose? I can’t think of anything between those two that would explain it.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Oh god, this is why I only crawl malls and the inevitable zombie apocalypse. So much money on the line! 😱

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Throttle response was good
40’s and 5:13 gears, crawls awesome
was in reverse but it took to long to engage... computer lag
Definitely not a mall crawler, but didn’t make that climb
Yup! Just before it starts the roll you can see the backup lights come on. Quick thinking on a chance to save it. Good Job Driver! I don't think I would have reacted that quick to jam it into reverse.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Almost slipped off Devil’s Racetrack last week in a similar situation. There, but for the grace of God, go I. Glad you’re okay, Kirt. Balls of steel!

Sponsored

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
Bet he called up his insurance and claimed he swerved when a deer jumped out in front of him while doing the speed limit on the interstate

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Bet he called up his insurance and claimed he swerved when a deer jumped out in front of him while doing the speed limit on the interstate

These situations are why you have insurance. The insurance will cover this. The Jeep is trail rated and it is being used per what the manufacturer designed it for.The only time it would not cover it is if you are entered into a timed race event.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
Wow, that did escalate pretty quickly. I of course would have been going slower and pushed on my clutch because I'm awesome.

I'm curious about the suspension setup and if that was a contributing factor. I can't really tell, but I wonder if there was a lack of down travel. The rear in particular doesn't seem to flex much.

The rear bumpstop extensions only look like 1". So unless the shock was bottoming before the bumpstop, that might be a pretty short shock. Combine that with a lift to clear 40s and less weight with no doors or top, my amateur guess is that there was only a couple of inches of down-travel.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
It went slow so after it hit the side I was like oh shit we’re going all the way down and I grabbed on tight. Not my first roll
Definitely would have shat myself!!! Kudos to you for knowing what to do ...god awful! Glad you are alive to talk about it !
Sponsored