Sponsored

2020 JLU 2.0 Oil Change

LAYNLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Had our first free oil change at the Jeep dealership and checked the dipstick after the change. It looks to me that they over filled it by a shit load. On a cold engine . . . where should the oil level be? Just need confirmation!
Sponsored

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Had our first free oil change at the Jeep dealership and checked the dipstick after the change. It looks to me that they over filled it by a shit load. On a cold engine . . . where should the oil level be? Just need confirmation!
Following. Question... how many miles do you have on your JLU? Trying to figure out when it's appropriate (and frequency) to get my 1st change on my T2.0... currently have 3,400.

OP
OP

LAYNLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Following. Question... how many miles do you have on your JLU? Trying to figure out when it's appropriate (and frequency) to get my 1st change on my T2.0... currently have 3,400.
Do you have an answer . . .

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Do you have an answer . . .
No, that's why I said "following"... but also asked how many miles u had when u did your 1st oil change?

HHIJL

First Name
KT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys Xtreme Recon, 2018 Shelby GT350
Occupation
HHI Fire Rescue Fleet Manager
I had them do my first oil change on my 2020 2.0 at 4500 miles, I didn't want to leave the break in oil in there any longer.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I had them do my first oil change on my 2020 2.0 at 4500 miles, I didn't want to leave the break in oil in there any longer.
@HHIJL

Actually, they don't leave engine assembly with any special oil in them... again, no special "break in oil."

This is true for both the 2.0 and 3.6.

HHIJL

First Name
KT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys Xtreme Recon, 2018 Shelby GT350
Occupation
HHI Fire Rescue Fleet Manager
I know there is no special break in oil, but the oil that comes in the engine from the factory is the oil that will have any kind of material in it from those first couple hundred miles. Most modern engines dont have much of a break in due to very accurate tolerances with todays modern machinery. But I'm still old school and didn't want to leave it in any longer.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I know there is no special break in oil, but the oil that comes in the engine from the factory is the oil that will have any kind of material in it from those first couple hundred miles. Most modern engines dont have much of a break in due to very accurate tolerances with todays modern machinery. But I'm still old school and didn't want to leave it in any longer.
@HHIJL

I hear ya... I just was saying about the no special "break in oil.

As you, I too change my oil quite soon after my new vehicle is delivered.

Actually, (I've read) there is pronounced, levels of Molybdenum in the factory fill, due to anti-seize compounds that the parts that make up the engine had on them at assembly time.... so, yes the oil in the engine leaving the factory is different, (thanks to the Molybdenum) lets say then after we do our oil change..

OP
OP

LAYNLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We were at 3500 miles.

y2kcbr600

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I changed my 2.0T oil on my own at 1k and 4.5k. From this I know mine takes exactly five quarts including the filter with a full drain. I fought my dealer anxiety and took her in for my dealership free oil change, and Jeep Wave tire rotation at 9.5k last week. I spent time asking to look at my suspension and forgot to confirm synthetic to be used.

Half way through the service I went to the service writer and reminded them my engine calls for synthetic, please put it in. At the end they notified me they initially filled with synthetic blend, drained and refilled with synthetic. Checked level and it was well above the range mark (I estimate one quart). I got a service manager to check, and got my 3rd oil change of the morning.

I called my buddy with a brand new wrangler to warn him, he had already gone to a different dealer, was charged despite the Wave program, and they showed conventional oil was used.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Does this look right? I thought oil was supposed to be heavy and slower flowing, but then again my oil was hot. There was a tiny gust of wind and it blew the oil all over me like it was as light as water.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My 2021 2.0 had the oil about 3/8"" above full when I got it (when checked overnight cold). It never dropped any by the time I changed it at 4,400 miles. I put 5 quarts in when I changed it and it's in exactly the same spot on the dipstick.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Yep - mine is the same way. Seems like the dip stick is not calibrated correctly...

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Does this look right? I thought oil was supposed to be heavy and slower flowing, but then again my oil was hot. There was a tiny gust of wind and it blew the oil all over me like it was as light as water.

Yeah, 5W-30 oil is like that.

Gregj