Sponsored

Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport

uzziboi

First Name
Uzziel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Hey @danny01 any update on this? Would be awesome to just update using a Tazer.
All JL models come pre-wired for the fender daytime running lamps. You can take off your front fender flares and see that the wiring harness coming from the engine compartment has 6 wires on it. You will see a white/yellow wire on the driver-side flare harness and a white/dark blue wire on the passenger-side flare harness. These two wires are responsible for supplying power to the DRLs. Both wires originate at the body control module.

However, only Sahara, Rubicon, and Moab models come equipped with the LMX sales code required to activate the DRL circuit from the body control module that sends power to the lights. As of now, the Flascal and the Tazer can't completely activate DRL functionality on Sport and Sport S models. In order for the DRL circuit to activate, 3 checks need to be met:

1. DRL region is set to anything other than OFF. (Configurable with the Tazer/Flashcal)
2. DRL location needs to be set to "Dedicated". (Configurable with the Tazer/Flashcal)
3. DRL toggle from the UConnect screen needs to be set to ON. (NOT configurable with the Tazer/Flashcal)

It's the last check that isn't met on Sport models and hence why the fender DRLs never will illuminate. Sport models don't have access to the UConnect DRL toggle from the factory. In an upcoming Tazer update, Joe will make it so that Sport users can activate the UConnect DRL toggle and then finally be able to turn on the factory DRL circuit.
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
If you have the factory LED's on your sport, you do not need to tap slot 57 in the fuse box. You can tap the halo power wire and splice directly into your fender LED. It took about 45 minutes as you have to remove the grill and headlights. Then simply T-tap the 5 wire (bottom middle) going into the headlight connector, and run into the fender as per the op's instructions. I used the Oracle LED switchbacks -no hyper flash or bulb out warnings. Now they run in tandem with the halo's DLR system instead of off the acc switch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport 20200825_164807

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport 20200825_170320

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice! I wish the OEM LEDs were an option for 2019, but glad to see they stepped up for the 2020s :)

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! I wish the OEM LEDs were an option for 2019, but glad to see they stepped up for the 2020s :)
Thanks for posting the original instructions. I hold you responsible for my first mod - Lord knows where it'll go from here...:facepalm::)

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks for posting the original instructions. I hold you responsible for my first mod - Lord knows where it'll go from here...:facepalm::)
Uh oh, sorry, or maybe "you're welcome", who knows :)

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
If you have the factory LED's on your sport, you do not need to tap slot 57 in the fuse box. You can tap the halo power wire and splice directly into your fender LED. It took about 45 minutes as you have to remove the grill and headlights. Then simply T-tap the 5 wire (bottom middle) going into the headlight connector, and run into the fender as per the op's instructions. I used the Oracle LED switchbacks -no hyper flash or bulb out warnings. Now they run in tandem with the halo's DLR system instead of off the acc switch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport 20200825_170320

That looks very nice. I have a Willys with the OEM LEDs and want to do this. Did you just T-Tap the halo Headlight wire in the picture you posted to the White/Brown wire fender bulb? Then just cap off the cut White/Brown wire? I am just looking for the Oracle switchbacks to be white for fender DRLs.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks very nice. I have a Willys with the OEM LEDs and want to do this. Did you just T-Tap the halo Headlight wire in the picture you posted to the White/Brown wire fender bulb? Then just cap off the cut White/Brown wire? I am just looking for the Oracle switchbacks to be white for fender DRLs.
Yes. I did exactly that. A bit more work as you have to remove the grill, but you don't have to run a line from the fuse box...and it just feels right to have all the DRL's on the same circuit.

Last edited:

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Yes. I did exactly that. A bit more work as you have to remove the grill, but you don't have to run a line from the fuse box...and it just feels right to have all the DLR's on the same circuit.
Excellent. Great work around for those with leds. I’m going to do it this weekend. Thanks again!

The learner

First Name
Jibin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
@uzziboi you can get it done using the Jscan. Hope you guys know that by now. I drive a Sport S with halogen lights. Recently switched my halogen drl/turn signals to sequential led turn signal/drl and programmed it stay on when the engine starts. You should Set the drl
Customer setting On/off to Active using the app. Then you can switch it on using the radio. Hope this helps. Let me know if anyone need more info on this subject.

DB6D0B8D-6FFE-4BA8-9267-D91702A58288.jpeg

Sponsored

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
@uzziboi you can get it done using the Jscan. Hope you guys know that by now. I drive a Sport S with halogen lights. Recently switched my halogen drl/turn signals to sequential led turn signal/drl and programmed it stay on when the engine starts. You should Set the drl
Customer setting On/off to Active using the app. Then you can switch it on using the radio. Hope this helps. Let me know if anyone need more info on this subject.

DB6D0B8D-6FFE-4BA8-9267-D91702A58288.jpeg
We have two 2018 Sport S and neither have the DRL option in the radio settings menu

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
You skipped the first half of what he said. You have to program it first.
You skipped the first half of what he said. You have to program it first.
My fault.....I forgot to mention that I followed the instructions, and programmed it with the JSCAN app. Once I did that, I went into the radio settings and it wasn't there. Also, I mentioned that we have two JLU's - but only one is on the JSCAN app currently. Figure if I mess up and turn one of them into an overpriced, immovable brick - I will still at least have a vehicle to drive!!

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport DB6D0B8D-6FFE-4BA8-9267-D91702A58288
Thanks for sharing this! I used JSCAN to set my fog lights as DRLs and it works perfectly. Also set it up to drop the DRLs when headlights go on.

One issue, I added the settings to Uconnect4 to turn off DRLs. The settings check box is now there in the "lights" section (like your image) however it seems to not have an affect. The DRLs are always functional.

Any ideas?
Sponsored