Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
If I can be serious for just a moment....it looks to me like the people who mod jeeps heavily kind of divide into three groups.

1. Mods that are necessary to do stuff they actually go out and do...people who get out into the rocks, mud, or sand.

2. Mods that want to LOOK like they go out and do stuff. The froading version of drugstore cowboys. When I was in Tucson we identified them by the absence of brush scratches.

3. Mods that are trying to look "aggressive", "badass", "big", "tough"... People who wanna look like Mad Max or special ops troops. Yeah, you know who they are.

Everyone gets to do what they want, I dont judge. Me, I just like the capabilty of a basic jeep. I live in the country, and have to deal with mud and snow.

End of sermon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If I can be serious for just a moment....it looks to me like the people who mod jeeps heavily kind of divide into three groups.

1. Mods that are necessary to do stuff they actually go out and do...people who get out into the rocks, mud, or sand.

2. Mods that want to LOOK like they go out and do stuff. The froading version of drugstore cowboys. When I was in Tucson we identified them by the absence of brush scratches.

3. Mods that are trying to look "aggressive", "badass", "big", "tough"... People who wanna look like Mad Max or special ops troops. Yeah, you know who they are.

Everyone gets to do what they want, I dont judge. Me, I just like the capabilty of a basic jeep. I live in the country, and have to deal with mud and snow.

End of sermon.
If I were to start modding, I would be in the first group, right?... right?

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
So, pics or it never happened. Here's mine, today. Totally ducked out....ducked up?
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Jeep Support Group Duckies.JPG

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Caving in a little. Just bought a new sunshade top for the JL.

I say: It's not expensive, and I didn't buy tires or lift, so I'm meeting my promise.
I feel like Bill Clinton: "I didn't have sexual relations with the woman" since we didn't do "that".

Sponsored

Jinnjue

First Name
Jinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Confession: I installed a lift, wheels, and tires on my last Wrangler. I enjoyed the way it drove and it’s off road capability despite the compromises in gas mileage and acceleration.

For my JTR, I kept it stock with the emotional support of the Gladiator forum members. Now I have a diesel Wrangler (I know I buy too many Jeeps), so back to the reasons not to lift:

1. I do not want to give up any power/torque on large wheels/tires.

2. I need to save the money.

3. My Jeeps have a history of breaking, and I would like to have warranty service without trouble.

4. My stock Rubi is already very capable off road.

Oh look at those big tires...
Hide your wallet!!! 😂
Steady. Focus. It’s fine the way it is...

Again, I need help.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Stock Jeepers don't go on forums, stock jeepers aren't really into cars. It's just another vehicle to them.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Stock Jeepers don't go on forums, stock jeepers aren't really into cars. It's just another vehicle to them.
To certain extent, at least, that's true. I dont modify my lawn mower or my radial arm saw either.

But, it's a vehicle with specific capabilities, even as stock. That's why I have a jeep and not a Mini Cooper or a Vette.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Only costs 35 bucks to make a big difference https://amzn.to/3fJ4PfH
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Jeep Support Group 91+y2Uy-M5L._AC_SL1500_
Definite wave if I see a flag grille or any other image.
If it's too much work to just drop a mesh grille in there, then that just goes back to my first point.

Sponsored

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I’ve been telling myself no wheels, tires, and lift until she’s paid off. Ik that snowballs into driveshaft, tire carrier, and regear. I wheel my Jeep so I am thinking about spending the money on skids now. It will look mostly stock.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I’ve been telling myself no wheels, tires, and lift until she’s paid off. Ik that snowballs into driveshaft, tire carrier, and regear. I wheel my Jeep so I am thinking about spending the money on skids now. It will look mostly stock.
That's just where it starts!

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
...Me, I just like the capabilty of a basic jeep. I live in the country, and have to deal with mud and snow.
Part of why I bought mine was for snow and/or ice storms we tend to get over the winter, and my last several cars, while having front wheel drive, were too light to be any good at all in those conditions.

That and the occasional camping trip down forest service roads, and the whole top down, music up on a warm summer evening (still waiting on that warm summer evening).

So I have/had no plans for mods. I mean,

Switching out the antenna for a stubby
Mounting a fire extinguisher on the roll bar
Mounting a flashlight below the driver's seat
Adding storage bag over the wheel well
Adding a liner and storage bag for the cargo tub
Doing some interior trim work to match the HellaYella exterior

don't count as mods.

Having said that, I am signed up for one of the Jeep Adventure Academy courses at a nearby off-road park. Surely that won't lead to anything, will it?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Long-time Jeeper here (new JL is my third) and all-around car guy...and my Jeeps have never been "just another vehicle." I can see how this is true for some folks, but I care for them better than I care for myself, and rely on them as D/Ds, weekend fun machines, and brush fire escape vehicles, which are a major concern where I live. That said, I generally keep my Jeeps pretty stock, as they usually meet my needs as-is, and it keeps costs down. In my decades of experience, I've learned that modifying one thing generally requires modifying another, which becomes very expensive, very quickly, especially in the case of suspension and drivetrain. As stated elsewhere in this thread, it is usually true that resale value is better for a bone stock vehicle than one that's all tricked out, as it provides the new owner with a blank canvas, and he/she doesn't have to worry about undoing all the mods that were previously added. In short...I mod my Jeeps like I buy tools...if I need something for a specific application, I buy it. Otherwise, it's just cheaper and easier to leave things as-is because these vehicles are pretty darn capable in stock configuration, at least for my purposes...which includes escaping dinosaurs!

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Part of why I bought mine was for snow and/or ice storms we tend to get over the winter, and my last several cars, while having front wheel drive, were too light to be any good at all in those conditions.

That and the occasional camping trip down forest service roads, and the whole top down, music up on a warm summer evening (still waiting on that warm summer evening).

So I have/had no plans for mods. I mean,

Switching out the antenna for a stubby
Mounting a fire extinguisher on the roll bar
Mounting a flashlight below the driver's seat
Adding storage bag over the wheel well
Adding a liner and storage bag for the cargo tub
Doing some interior trim work to match the HellaYella exterior

don't count as mods.

Having said that, I am signed up for one of the Jeep Adventure Academy courses at a nearby off-road park. Surely that won't lead to anything, will it?
Well, yeah, I mean....when I picked up my jeep I stopped on the way home to put in a couple of flashlights, knives, machete, tools, towstrap, shovel, jumpers, aid kit. Put in a rear area liner and a phone mount. I'm more likely to leave my spare tire home than those things. But that's not modifying, that's just like putting your shoes on.
Sponsored