Added Mirror Turn Signals

staros

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I decided to install what I have until I can find the wiring connector. Doing just the replacement cap is easy with the Mopar part coming with great instructions to remove the existing one. Once I find the connector to wire up the lights, I'll share here.
Hi:

Can you post or scan the directions on how to remove the cap? I have not been able to find them anywhere.

Thank you.

Be well. Stay safe.

Steve
Sponsored

mjoneil

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Hey Steve, so once the glass is off there will be 4 clips inside that need to be disengaged. The trick is you have to disengage them as you go around the outside with a plastic trim removal tool. The 1st pic are the clip locations and the second is where I like to start with my trim tool. That way any mistakes will be on the bottom but also I found this area has the most give when inserting the tool. Once it's in work it around as you disengage the clips.
Jeep Wrangler JL Added Mirror Turn Signals mirrorclips
Jeep Wrangler JL Added Mirror Turn Signals mirrorclip1

staros

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I've always thought having the turn signals visible to the sides via a side marker is of huge benefit safety-wise when making lane changes, etc. Really wanted to add the turn signals in like they come on the Euro-spec models and finally took a crack at it this weekend.

For starters, my US-spec JL had power/heated/blindspot monitor mirrors to begin with.

I ordered the Euro-spec version of the mirrors that had the same specs power/heat/blindspot + turn signal indicators. Thanks to @RocketScientist for the help with getting the part numbers. Anyone interested for these specific versions of the mirror they are:

Right 68281902AD
Left 68281903AD
(Last two letters may be updated to new rev like AE or AF)

These part numbers above include the following options:
-blind spot (XAN)
-black texture (LE4)
-heated (GTB)
-turn signal (LES)

The big question was would the wiring be present? All indicators I could find from speaking to others as well as my research on Tech Authority showed the turn signal wire would NOT be present. This turned out to be correct, it was NOT plug and play. The other features (heat/blindspot/power) worked plug and play since that was already on my JL from the factory, so just the turn signal wire needed to be run. The indicator is grounded already through the mirror so you don't need to run a ground.

I ran a wire from the front LED turn signals (the green/white striped wire was tapped on each side) for each respective mirror. Wires were run into the cab, into the cloth wire harness and into the doors up to the mirrors. I added disconnects at the mirrors and at the doors for door removal.

With the mirrors, the blue/black wire is the one that needed to be routed for the turn signal feed. I pulled the wire out of the mirror plug, added a connector to it, and plugged that into the turn signal wire I ran up to the mirrors.

Very happy with the results. Also the Euro-spec mirrors have different convex areas than US-spec, they both have convex areas on the outer parts. I found this gives a huge improvement in visibility on the driver's mirror especially.

Install took me about 4 hours for the first side just figuring things out, testing, finding the best way to do it, and then only about an hour for the second side. I removed most of the clips for the fender liners on the front to have access to the wiring there.

Another option: is to purchase and add the lights only + new covers on your existing mirrors. Apparently when you buy just the covers they come with a semi-glossy finish for some odd reason. I didn't want this so I ordered entirely new mirrors.

Not 100% on these P/Ns but I think these are correct for the lamps, you would also need the covers

Lamps: 68361957AA and 68361956AA
Covers: unknown (if anyone knows PM me and I'll add them here)

Photo of the parts/glossy covers from this method from @RocketScientist

Hi:

I ordered the LED modules but they did not come with any wiring connectors.

Is there a part number for that?

Should it have come with a connector?

Another member ordered and it had a connector. I ordered from a different vendor and there was no connector.

Do I need to make one (not going to happen:) or where can I order one?

Regards,
Steve

staros

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Anyone know where the connectors to the turn signal can be purchased? I have everything else to do the project but that piece.
Same question here. Apologize if it has been answered.

Let me know.

Steve

staros

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I decided to install what I have until I can find the wiring connector. Doing just the replacement cap is easy with the Mopar part coming with great instructions to remove the existing one. Once I find the connector to wire up the lights, I'll share here.

Did you find the connectors?

Steve

Sponsored

TheGreyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know what you find works best. I need to borrow that line for my significant other as well! :D
Let me know what you find works best. I need to borrow that line for my significant other as well! :D
Wait... you inform your SO of Jeep purchases... pro tip, ask for forgiveness

KingCorgi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD
Did you find the connectors?

Steve
Wish I had, I'm just running them without the light working for now. If you find them I'd really appreciate you letting me know. I'll do the same.

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge
Just FYI as i'm working on this now.. your indicator should have two wires. You will always have the blue/black stripe which needs to be wired to the turn signal. The 2nd wire(ground) will either be green or black. IF it's black and you don't have BSM, your indicator will not be grounded. The black ground is piggy tailed off the ground for BSM. If you have the green, it's directly grounded through the harness, but most cases you won't have anything on the door harness.

Long story short, if you don't have BSM, you will need to ground to pin 10 (ground for heated mirror)
Quick question, for the blue/black and black or green, do you have any pics where those are? Are they inside the mirror or in the door harness assembly? I should have my JTR thats being built next month, trying to prep as much as I can ahead of time. No BSM.

I just received the left and right side export complete mirrors for my JTR. Thanks for the info on this forum. I posted the information on the Jeep Gladiator Forum in case anyone wants to do this for their Gladitator. This is great info! Thank you.

KingCorgi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD
Need some details on this...Is the carbon fiber look a dip coating or vinyl wrap? How or where was it done? It looks great!!
Thanks! It's real carbon fiber. You can find it on ebay, but if you don't mind waiting and want to save some scratch go to AliExpress.

Sponsored

Hoosierbilly

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hey, Im in the same boat. I ordered a new mirror cap after losing my passenger side one to a tree branch hanging out in the road. Anyway I accidentally ordered one with the light cut out, so instead of sending it back I ordered lights to put in. From going thru some model r/c stuff I found connectors that fit, and the polarity on the lights I have didn't matter, it lit up with neg/positive on either position.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Connector-SIM-NAT-Connectors/dp/B07R4YBXYX

These are the lights I have, I assume it's the same connector

https://www.amazon.com/NDRUSH-Assembly-Compatible-Wrangler-Gladiator/dp/B08NWLV5KY

Jeep Wrangler JL Added Mirror Turn Signals 20210402_150702

Jeep Wrangler JL Added Mirror Turn Signals 20210402_152308

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Holy crap! Well done!

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Im in the same boat. I ordered a new mirror cap after losing my passenger side one to a tree branch hanging out in the road. Anyway I accidentally ordered one with the light cut out, so instead of sending it back I ordered lights to put in. From going thru some model r/c stuff I found connectors that fit, and the polarity on the lights I have didn't matter, it lit up with neg/positive on either position.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Connector-SIM-NAT-Connectors/dp/B07R4YBXYX

These are the lights I have, I assume it's the same connector

https://www.amazon.com/NDRUSH-Assembly-Compatible-Wrangler-Gladiator/dp/B08NWLV5KY

Post photos/ videos of it completed! :like: