First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Any suggestions on the best vacuum pump/plug kit to buy?
Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I have this one from Harbor Freight.

Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** CCE1958E-F295-4ED0-9279-02148EC08116
where did you get the plug to go on the PS resevoir ? IM waiting on parts for mine, but, id like to get the plug enroute in case i wind up needing it, cant imagine its to pricey

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
where did you get the plug to go on the PS resevoir ? IM waiting on parts for mine, but, id like to get the plug enroute in case i wind up needing it, cant imagine its to pricey
Home Depot has a selection of them. It just needs to fit in the top of the reservoir when you pull the cap off. Drill a hole in it and the vac pump comes with a few barb fittings. Stick one in the hole you drilled and leave enough sticking out to attach a hose to. I think the plug was .99 cents or something like that.

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Pretty sure this was the one I picked up.

Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** C691055B-7B9E-409D-94D0-6CFA6BDAD8A2
so drill a hole straight thru that, put it in the ps res. with the barb / hose connected to the vacuum ? just making sure i understand correctly. appreciate the help.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
so drill a hole straight thru that, put it in the ps res. with the barb / hose connected to the vacuum ? just making sure i understand correctly. appreciate the help.
Fill the reservoir to max, but the plug in the res, connect one end of the hose to the barb you put in the plug and the other end of the hose to the canister that comes with the vac pump. Connect the other hose to the other side of the canister that’s marked “to pump” connect the other end of that hose to the vac pump. Pump the pump until the gauge reads 22” of vacuum. Leave it under vacuum for 5 minutes. Slowly release the vacuum and see if it pulls fluid in the system and the level in the reservoir drops. If it does fill it back up to max and repeat the process until it no longer drops the level in the reservoir.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Fill the reservoir to max, but the plug in the res, connect one end of the hose to the barb you put in the plug and the other end of the hose to the canister that comes with the vac pump. Connect the other hose to the other side of the canister that’s marked “to pump” connect the other end of that hose to the vac pump. Pump the pump until the gauge reads 22” of vacuum. Leave it under vacuum for 5 minutes. Slowly release the vacuum and see if it pulls fluid in the system and the level in the reservoir drops. If it does fill it back up to max and repeat the process until it no longer drops the level in the reservoir.
fantastic thank you

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
There's lots of youtube vids on how to do it...some start the vehicle and crank the wheel back and forth a few times while pulling vacuum.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
There's lots of youtube vids on how to do it...some start the vehicle and crank the wheel back and forth a few times while pulling vacuum.
I would not recommend that. You could actually damage the pump by doing that.

Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
One more question, if I order the new cast iron box and replace it myself, will it work without getting the computer flashed? I read elsewhere you need a flash when changing the box out, not sure why that is, isn't this just a mechanical part?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
One more question, if I order the new cast iron box and replace it myself, will it work without getting the computer flashed? I read elsewhere you need a flash when changing the box out, not sure why that is, isn't this just a mechanical part?
No it will not, you need the programming to increase the pump pressure

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
@Jeep&dogs
What’s the latest? Are you sticking with the replacement box fixed the shimmy? Do you think it had anything to do with your thoroughness during install?
After getting my steering box replaced by dealership through the TSB, I felt my shimmy improved (using my favorite trigger bump) but not gone. Just not sure replacing it with a third will be the end all.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I’m not saying it’s the issue. But I did go through more than one replacement box. So just food for thought. My first replacement had obvious issues. Second one was night and day
Sponsored