Sponsored

Need Help: 3.6 w/Full-Time 4WD option or Diesel?

needajeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubi EcoDiesel
Hello,

I'm about to order a 2021 JLU Rubicon and I've been waffling back and forth between getting the Pentastar with the Rock-Track full-time option or sacrificing the full-time transfer case and getting the diesel. Although I'm currently a full-time Florida resident I will be taking the Jeep cross country to places such as Texas, Colorado, and Utah and hopefully, I'll be spending significant time in places with unpredictable weather. Looking for opinions and insights if you were buying a 2021 which one would you opt for and why? I'm coming from driving a 2017 Camaro SS and living in S. Florida for 20 years so my exposure to 4x4's and harsh weather is limited. I'm not sure of the correct way of using a part-time 4 wheel drive system in snow/rain etc. Is a part-time system usable in a hard rainstorm or snow on public/paved roads? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Hello,

I'm about to order a 2021 JLU Rubicon and I've been waffling back and forth between getting the Pentastar with the Rock-Track full-time option or sacrificing the full-time transfer case and getting the diesel. Although I'm currently a full-time Florida resident I will be taking the Jeep cross country to places such as Texas, Colorado, and Utah and hopefully, I'll be spending significant time in places with unpredictable weather. Looking for opinions and insights if you were buying a 2021 which one would you opt for and why? I'm coming from driving a 2017 Camaro SS and living in S. Florida for 20 years so my exposure to 4x4's and harsh weather is limited. I'm not sure of the correct way of using a part-time 4 wheel drive system in snow/rain etc. Is a part-time system usable in a hard rainstorm or snow on public/paved roads? Any help is appreciated.
yes, conventional 4wd can be used in heavy rain/snow. Been doing it for decades with zero issues. As for diesel vs 3.6, how do you normally drive? If a lot of short trips get a gasser. If a long daily commute diesel is great (newer diesel have a ton of emissions control stuff and don’t do well with short haul stuff as the system needs to get hot to work. Rubicon is great if you are doing very serious off-road stuff, otherwise a Sport S or a Sahara will do anything you want/need to do.

cruzthepug

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have the diesel and as far as gas milage goes, stock I was getting about 26mpg around town and on short, less than an hour drive trips. I put on 35's and of course my around town milage went down to 23-24. I have gone on a couple of longer trips and I get worse milage on the hwy then in town. Hwy I'm getting about 20. Would probably need a re-gear to improve and talked to the guy at my shop that's doing my lift and he suggested not to re-gear, that the cost vs fuel cost would take too long to re-coup.

OP
OP

needajeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, conventional 4wd can be used in heavy rain/snow. Been doing it for decades with zero issues. As for diesel vs 3.6, how do you normally drive? If a lot of short trips get a gasser. If a long daily commute diesel is great (newer diesel have a ton of emissions control stuff and don’t do well with short haul stuff as the system needs to get hot to work. Rubicon is great if you are doing very serious off-road stuff, otherwise a Sport S or a Sahara will do anything you want/need to do.
Thanks for the info! I drive mostly short-haul to the shops and the beach etc.. mostly less than 10 miles at a time. I have a feeling that when I'm not road tripping to trails the Jeep will mostly be hitting the Starbucks drive-through and the beach. Sounds like if I get a diesel and let it sit or drive it mostly short distances I'm asking for trouble? I think if I'm being honest I only want a diesel to say I got the diesel. Hmm.

OP
OP

needajeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the diesel and as far as gas milage goes, stock I was getting about 26mpg around town and on short, less than an hour drive trips. I put on 35's and of course my around town milage went down to 23-24. I have gone on a couple of longer trips and I get worse milage on the hwy then in town. Hwy I'm getting about 20. Would probably need a re-gear to improve and talked to the guy at my shop that's doing my lift and he suggested not to re-gear, that the cost vs fuel cost would take too long to re-coup.
So you're not feeling a. real difference with the 35's? I plan to install a Mopar 2" lift and 35's. Do you think I'd need. to regear with the 3.6 of Turbo?
Sponsored