Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Amen brother ..preach it .. its not just a small difference either. My ass runs 87 octane the 3.6 pent. starts groaning with anything lower then 89-90
Yea, what are your choices, run like a beater or like a well tuned engine, like its supposed to. I think it gets better gas mileage too, with the Higher octane.
Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Engine has the most power and best smoothness with 108 octane (e85)...and the right tune.

Our high compression v6 really needs 93 to run optimal timing for performance, but OEM nune is garbage to where it runs like shit no matter what fuel you put in.

That's the reason why ECU tuning has large power gain on this N/A application.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Where do you find +94? I worry about the 91 around here. I only use Shell stations +91

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Engine has the most power and best smoothness with 108 octane (e85)...and the right tune.

Our high compression v6 really needs 93 to run optimal timing for performance, but OEM nune is garbage to where it runs like shit no matter what fuel you put in.

That's the reason why ECU tuning has large power gain on this N/A application.
But if you throw a tune on it and your under warranty, you have to "detune" every time you have to take it in the shop. They actually do any factory updates to the ECU even if its just an oil change. If they find its been tuned you are boned. So I am assuming you are talking post warranty?

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Yea, what are your choices, run like a beater or like a well tuned engine, like its supposed to. I think it gets better gas mileage too, with the Higher octane.
probably does.. but most likely by negligible amounts. I dropped to mid grade fuel this past few weeks and the pinging is starting to rear its ugly head up again. Theres no denying for me , the high octane is needed on these. Average person wouldn't notice though, as my ears can hear a mosquito fart from miles away...this is probably the reason most people dump 87 in there and say it perfectly fine. Oddly enough , jeeps next to me on stoplights don't seem to be pinging or I have yet to hear another clear example. Before this I tried the most expensive stuff and time after time it proved to be more quieter .

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
But if you throw a tune on it and your under warranty, you have to "detune" every time you have to take it in the shop. They actually do any factory updates to the ECU even if its just an oil change. If they find its been tuned you are boned. So I am assuming you are talking post warranty?
How many times do you visit dealer a year and why bother with oil changes at the dealer?
I would only bring in the car to a dealer for waranty work or milestone services (every 30 k).
There there's always an option of buying separate ECU from Livernois; I would rather enjoy full potential of the engine vs being paranoid of getting stuck by a lightning (your chance of something going wrong with an engine and denial of waranty).

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
How many times do you visit dealer a year and why bother with oil changes at the dealer?
I would only bring in the car to a dealer for waranty work or milestone services (every 30 k).
There there's always an option of buying separate ECU from Livernois; I would rather enjoy full potential of the engine vs being paranoid of getting stuck by a lightning (your chance of something going wrong with an engine and denial of waranty).
I think the added benefit with it is u can also manage radiator fan temperature startup . Which in my opinion is needed more than the tuneup. The downside is the price and the risk u take if something goes bad on the modded ecu . I've got a feeling livermois will poo poo on u once they get ur money. I think it was close to a 1000 bucks for that thing.. I'll look it up later see if i'm correct. For now I think i'll have to run on the expensive stuff

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I ran a tank of 90 ethanol free awhile back. The 3.6 seemed to really like it after about half the tank was gone. Ethanol free pumps aren’t everywhere though.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I'm in Arizona, maybe I'll stop up for tank Ha Ha Thanks....

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I get them for free, well so they say. I paid through the nose. So I am sure as hell make sure they have to pay back. I want to do some other major mods but I can wait until out of warranty..

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
The pinging is also a strong function of ambient air temp. In winter here in the North, 87 is fine. But once tbe weather warms up, I switch to 93 to avoid the pinging.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I ran a tank of 90 ethanol free awhile back. The 3.6 seemed to really like it after about half the tank was gone. Ethanol free pumps aren’t everywhere though.
Ethanol-free is pretty common in Oklahoma, tough to find anywhere else in our travels. I'll seek it out anywhere it's available though, makes a very noticeable difference from the Ethanol corn filler crap!

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Ethanol-free is pretty common in Oklahoma, tough to find anywhere else in our travels. I'll seek it out anywhere it's available though, makes a very noticeable difference from the Ethanol corn filler crap!
I live in Arizona and you cannot find gas without ethanol, which really sucks. They used to have it only during the summer months but now it appears to be year round.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Americans spend a few billion a year on premium gas that is not needed. In a car not designed for it, any difference is imagined.

However, I have notice over the years my vehicles drive much better when I give them a good wash, wax, and interior cleaning.
Sponsored