Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
@tonygiotta That guy definitely does not know the definition of superseded. Amazing how one little word can change an outcome. :LOL:
RIght? I have a hard time believing it. Any parts guy should understand superseded. They must deal with it on a daily basis.
Sponsored

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I got the steering box upgrade, it felt good the first day after. Then I went out of town for a week. Didnā€™t drive it and now I swear itā€™s lost that tighter feel for the first 24 hours afterwards. It still feels different, doesnā€™t pull to the right as much and feels a bit heavier than before but not like the day after. Does that make sense? Maybe Iā€™m imagining it?

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
I got the steering box upgrade, it felt good the first day after. Then I went out of town for a week. Didnā€™t drive it and now I swear itā€™s lost that tighter feel for the first 24 hours afterwards. It still feels different, doesnā€™t pull to the right as much and feels a bit heavier than before but not like the day after. Does that make sense? Maybe Iā€™m imagining it?
That's not normal, it should not feel heavier than the older box as most people already noticed that the upgraded box felt easier to turn the wheel. I would think that there are some variations among those "made in china" parts these days and the adjustment torque steering screw is a bit too tight on yours. The dealer or you should be able to adjust it, it's pretty easy.
Also, after my replacement last week - I had to top off the steering fluid a little bit as mine was sligthly below the MIN mark on the reservoir (to be safe).

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
That's not normal, it should not feel heavier than the older box as most people already noticed that the upgraded box felt easier to turn the wheel. I would think that there are some variations among those "made in china" parts these days and the adjustment torque steering screw is a bit too tight on yours. The dealer or you should be able to adjust it, it's pretty easy.
Also, after my replacement last week - I had to top off the steering fluid a little bit as mine was sligthly below the MIN mark on the reservoir (to be safe).

FYI, the dealer will absolutely not adjust the box. You would be lucky if they actually tested it properly. If they did and they actually pulled up the FCA procedures if the box were out of spec they would be required to replace it.

6213575E-1605-4061-8D9B-55AD32F0E765.jpeg

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
FYI, the dealer will absolutely not adjust the box. You would be lucky if they actually tested it properly. If they did and they actually pulled up the FCA procedures if the box were out of spec they would be required to replace it.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 6213575E-1605-4061-8D9B-55AD32F0E765
Yeah, I doubt they would probably do this procedure on every gearbox before installing them. I called the dealer the day before my appointment and asked if it was possible to bench-test the new gearbox before the installation and to ensure that it had no sloppy feeling or had too tight feeling, etc. And the tech guy said it was only possible to test it out AFTER the installation and if I had any issues I could always come back and have it resolved. After the installation and replacing the steering fluid, the mechanic took it for a test drive himself and to confirm that everything was up-to-specs. I would definitely take it back to the dealer if the replacement was not done right. The warranty will expire eventually and we would be left on our own to deal with the issue.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sorry to hear that! If you decide to return to the dealer for additional work on this component, we are happy to assist, just send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got the TSB completed last week. I originally went to the dealership in October 2020 and they said they didnā€™t have the part. They told me they ordered it and would call me when all the parts were in.

They never called, life got in the way and I forgot about it till the weather started warming up and I really noticed that play and wandering on the highway again. I guess itā€™s a good thing I waited because since October a new steering gear came out- instead of 68507571AA like the TSB calls for (2-door jeep), they ordered and installed 68507571AB.

It seems to track straighter on the highway; it seems to require far fewer inputs to keep it going straight. Weight required to turn the wheel seems to be the same as before. Overall Iā€™m really happy with the TSB. I have a 2019 that originally had a ________AB grey/aluminum steering gear before.

Of note, I havenā€™t gotten the V41 recall done from even further back in the past (dealer keeps saying they donā€™t have parts). Does anyone remember that one?

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I have great news to share!

After 8 separate visits to 2 different dealerships, my steering has been fixed.

I had the original aluminum to cast iron gear box swap in November 2020. That only made the 2" of free play feel more linear.

After an alignment, after retightening of various bolts, after telling me there was nothing else they could do, after getting a new OE front track bar installed, and then after being told there was nothing left for them to do because one of their lot boys had driven it and said it was fine, I took it to a different dealership. That was @JeepCares suggestion. I had to wait two weeks for an appointment and drive 40 minutes, but it ended up being worth it.

I had read on this GREAT forum about being sure the steering gear code update (70F) was installed. It hadn't been. Through all the crap I went through with my local dealer, they failed to actually read the TSB.

Today, the Jeep feels fine. Not great, but within a safe margin of error or about 0.5" of play. I'm satisfied.

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
2018. Rubicon 2-door: I got the new steering box installed and i am very pleased, so far. Tracks straight, no play in the wheel, waited since December for the parts. I will say it drives very well and I didnā€™t realize how bad the other box was until i got the new one. In a word, WOW!

SDhobbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Dropped off my Jeep on 4/3 and was told they would need to perform a diagnostic check and would charge me $169 if no issue was found but fee would be waived if tech authorized TSB install after diagnostic. I have a 3.5 EVO lift with 37's, but I explained the steering issues were there before installing the lift. My hopes were not high at this point, I was pretty certain they would blame the lift and not perform the TSB. So you can imagine my surprise when I received a call 4/7 to let me know they would install TSB and had the parts in stock! I should get my Jeep back this weekend and will report back!

Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I did a search and can find no info on this. Has anyone heard of a 5 day limit FCA has on covering the cost of loaner vehicles acquired from dealers during repairs?

I dropped my Jeep off last Friday 4/2 and they have the new track bar but still haven't received the steering box. The service rep said it might get done by Saturday but could be Monday or Tuesday. All scenarios would put me over the coverage limit, including today. They charge $35/day after that.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did a search and can find no info on this. Has anyone heard of a 5 day limit FCA has on covering the cost of loaner vehicles acquired from dealers during repairs?

I dropped my Jeep off last Friday 4/2 and they have the new track bar but still haven't received the steering box. The service rep said it might get done by Saturday but could be Monday or Tuesday. All scenarios would put me over the coverage limit, including today. They charge $35/day after that.
The dealer I use in Carlsbad CA. has never provided a loaner stating FCA won't reimburse them. They used to be great about getting me a lyft or Uber to and from the dealership during a repair until Covid hit and then Lyft and Uber tripled there costs. So your lucky they gave you a loaner for 5 days. Hope you get your Jeep back sooner than later.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
The dealer I use in Carlsbad CA. has never provided a loaner stating FCA won't reimburse them. They used to be great about getting me a lyft or Uber to and from the dealership during a repair until Covid hit and then Lyft and Uber tripled there costs. So your lucky they gave you a loaner for 5 days. Hope you get your Jeep back sooner than later.
I hope so too, thanks.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Admittedly I havenā€™t read all 171 pages of this thread, but I had an unusual experience with this TSB today. After waiting a week for a ā€œdiagnostic appointmentā€, I brought my Jeep in to my local (purchasing) dealer this morning. 8 hours later, I got a call from my service adviser, gleefully telling me the tech determined I had ā€œthe latest and greatestā€ gear already installed in my Jeep and thus he just had to flash the computer. I told him I had a hard time believing that since my gear was the stock one that came with my 2018 and let him know I expected to see part numbers when I came to pick it up.

I arrived at the dealership and looked at the repair notes. It said the EPS had been flashed. No notes about sales codes or an alignment There was also a hand scribbled note with my current gear part number, the TSB required part number, and some arrows with notes about the two being the same since one part number superseded the other.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 6213575E-1605-4061-8D9B-55AD32F0E765

I politely explained to the service adviser that the fact the gear on my Jeep had been superseded did not mean it had the latest and greatest. In fact, the TSB specifically called for the new part number to be installed. He told me he had to go with what the parts department had told the tech. I read through the rest of the notes while he went to retrieve my Jeep.

Upon his return, I told him I wanted to speak with the parts guy. As luck would have it, he was gone but the parts department manager was there. I pleaded my case while the service adviser kept arguing my box had been superseded and was therefore the latest and greatest. The parts manager looked the gear up on the computer, read the copy of the TSB I had brought with me, and then the informed the adviser that I was correct. Said he didnā€™t understand the confusion since they had done many of these gear upgrades already. Parts are on order and should be here in a few days.

I let the adviser know I was disappointed as theyā€™re are supposed to be the professionals. He again blamed it on the parts department. I got in my Jeep and drove off, worrying about these guys following the TSB correctly when they install the new gear...

(And yes, it was 08-003-21 that I printed and brought along as it is the ā€œlatest and greatestā€)
We're very sorry to hear of this dealer experience, tonygiotta! Although our dealer teams are independently owned and operated, they are still held to a very high standard and we are saddened to hear that standard was not met here. That said, please keep us updated on how the new install goes and if you need additional assistance, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon

I had the original aluminum to cast iron gear box swap in November 2020. That only made the 2" of free play feel more linear.

After an alignment, after retightening of various bolts, after telling me there was nothing else they could do, after getting a new OE front track bar installed, and then after being told there was nothing left for them to do because one of their lot boys had driven it and said it was fine, I took it to a different dealership. That was @JeepCares suggestion. I had to wait two weeks for an appointment and drive 40 minutes, but it ended up being worth it.

I had read on this GREAT forum about being sure the steering gear code update (70F) was installed. It hadn't been. Through all the crap I went through with my local dealer, they failed to actually read the TSB.

Today, the Jeep feels fine. Not great, but within a safe margin of error or about 0.5" of play. I'm satisfied.

Sponsored