OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I hope very much that it is 100% successful and without a single teething issue myself. I want them to sell the crap out of them so they continue to increase R&D into the platform which is the only way it will prosper. I just hope they don’t hang it out to die on the vine as they were forced to reduce their fleet mpg by regulations. If they continue to improve and build upon it with emerging technology it could be a very cool offering. One thing I would NEVER do is schadenfreude a Jeep.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I didnt know he had a diesel. My bad. Lets calm down.
I knew you didn’t which was why I knew what your point was. I was just being cheeky with the “Prius” line. I like the concept of the 4xe and might have considered it on the lot (if there was one a week ago) and if not for my personal non-experienced concern about the battery long term.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
The 4xe is rad - I just can't justify it (yet) for a few reasons. Folks talk about savings in fuel costs, but the reality is that is an unfinished statement. Savings as compared to what? The closest comparison, in my personal case, is my JLUR with the 2.0 turbo.

I paid 42000 for my Jeep. The cheapest comparable 4xe Rubicon is in the mid 50s. Even if all of the driving I did was able to be completed in under the fully electric range, it would take literally a decade at those small trips to break even. In real world conditions of driving in hybrid mode, where the 4xe is using gas (and driving more miles) that gap could close to 6ish years but let's be real...that's a lot of driving before I start to see savings.

The 4xe has some cool features, like the ability to save its electricity in case you run out of fuel on the trail. You'd be hard pressed to find a continuous overland track in the usa that would run a 2.0T wrangler out of gas, even in 4-hi, without ample gas within a few miles of the track at convenient intervals, and even a small 2.5 gallon gas can would take me farther than the battery power would. If you're out in AU and doing the canning stock route, not even a 4xe is gonna help you - you're gonna need to being some massive fuel cans and probably do a mid-trip refuel at a remote village. See my point here - currently, this feature is a solution looking for a problem.

The 4xe is a torque monster - that part is indeed rad. And yes, some have pointed out that diminishes as the vehicle is driven and can be affected by cold, yadda yadda yadda. All of that is irrelevant to me because the 2.0 puts out 295 lbs-ft of torque. That is gobs more than I'll ever need even with a fully loaded wrangler (I don't exceed my payload capacity) driving off road for multiple days in 4hi, and if I need to move the vehicle up an obstacle or area that needs the torque...putting a rubi transfer case in 4lo is beyond enough to move the rig. It's also worth noting some of this torque is necessary...the jlur 4xe weighs about 1000lbs more than a normal jlur.

As it sits now, I see a couple types of buyers for this thing.

A) First adopters who want to buy the newest and coolest of items, whether they need it or not, just to say they have it. My hats off to these guys, provided they're doing it with real money and not a bunch of debt.

B) People who need a single vehicle to drive in the city, and explore wrangler-pedigree tracks on the weekends, and will keep it long enough to offset the higher cost and/or are interested in spending more than they have to on the feeling of driving a hybrid (which cannot be valued and is subjective). Leasers who don't care about building up car-wealth over time to the 50/50 breakover point (your trade is worth 50% of your next one and you have the rest in cash) and do tons of small city commutes would also fall into this group.

C) People who want a non-diesel option and actually need to tow something that requires the torque of the 4xe, aren't worried about the diminished power of the batteries in cold/heat/loss as they drain.

So, I'm gonna keep my eyes open. I like where it's going and I love Jeep pushing into new markets and developing new products. If they could get the price within 5k of a comparable equipped Rubicon, and the real-world battery only range to 50 miles in 4hi with a full load, I'd be in. These are the numbers I'll be watching for in the next decade. Til then, even with the cost of fuel, my ICE serves me just fine.

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I think my biggest concern with them is that FCA has yet to be able to field a new technology especially a brand new one without considerable issues. Using their lifeblood product line to test bed it seems premature. I think the batteries could be a real kick in the nuts when out of warranty. It is a cool idea though for a high number of the customers that really don’t go offroad or engage 4x4 very often. You don’t have to be a wheeler to be a Jeeper. I just hate to see the brand degraded by poor implementations of new tech.
That diesel you have might have a even shorter life span than the 4xe considering the plethora of issues they are having already.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
That diesel you have might have a even shorter life span than the 4xe considering the plethora of issues they are having already.
You could be right. I hope not. I will be keeping a close eye on the known issues and report and flame away if they present themselves. My 2016 JK was bulletproof. That thing would tow anything (more than it should) and at 77k the only thing it ever needed was gas, oil, one set of tires at 75k and I think a set of brakes.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Common dude, they're here to save the environment because they leave a smaller carbon foot print.
1617467465817.png
1617467963887.png
Remember the Alamo, no wait that's Texas, no electrical grid and 16 thousand dollar electric bills? DAAA!
I had my ESS yellow light come on, saying it needed service, with that ghost in the system, I wish they would go back to KISS engineering. ( keep it simple stupid )

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
One thing I thought I saw is that there are some decent rebates or tax incentives on them so that could help make them a comparable option. That may vary state by state but I thought there were still some federal ones floating around for now.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Folks have mentioned federal tax incentives (obviously everyone's state is different) - and these can indeed be good but they need to be examined holistically. The government is never out to do anyone any favors. The tax rebates are for folks who run a liability - anyone who gets a tax refund every year isn't benefitting from them. Folks who do their taxes in a way to get as close to zero as they can, but might go a little over, won't realize the tax credit because it can only be claimed up to your liability. (I owe 1k, I can claim 1k rebate but not the full 7500). If you're a person who does their taxes so perfectly that you run a 7k deficit and can reliably get it very close to that number without going over, and then use the hybrid tax rebate to close the gap, until these rebates are phased out (this is the govts plan as more sell) the rebate could be quite useful. The number of folks who fall into this category, though, is far smaller than the number of people who will buy the vehicle thinking oh-em-gee I'm gonna save 7.5k on taxes. ;)

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Folks have mentioned federal tax incentives (obviously everyone's state is different) - and these can indeed be good but they need to be examined holistically. The government is never out to do anyone any favors. The tax rebates are for folks who run a liability - anyone who gets a tax refund every year isn't benefitting from them. Folks who do their taxes in a way to get as close to zero as they can, but might go a little over, won't realize the tax credit because it can only be claimed up to your liability. (I owe 1k, I can claim 1k rebate but not the full 7500). If you're a person who does their taxes so perfectly that you run a 7k deficit and can reliably get it very close to that number without going over, and then use the hybrid tax rebate to close the gap, until these rebates are phased out (this is the govts plan as more sell) the rebate could be quite useful. The number of folks who fall into this category, though, is far smaller than the number of people who will buy the vehicle thinking oh-em-gee I'm gonna save 7.5k on taxes. ;)
Very good points. We are in the camp (just preference as sometimes we would t realize the small income additions each month) that we over pay our taxes and then get a big refund at the end of the year with child credits and such. While not really a bonus as it is actually our money, it is nice to get a lump sum that we didn’t really need during the year to do whatever we end doing with it. I have never looked into the realities of the tax credits with hybrids but I thank you for schooling me a bit. Useful knowledge is always appreciated.

Sponsored

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Maybe, we will get answers now that it's finally arriving. The specs for hp and to are the combine electric and gas. You won't get the full hp and torque unless both are operating at max output at the same time. This could also be limited by programming. For instance the electric motor has to match input speed to the gas motor. It may not be making full output to make this happen. I would like to see actual wheel dyno numbers. I am curious as to actual range also. Some people claim 16 to 17 mpg. some people clain 19to 22. This is on the same gas version. I can only imagine the disparity in the 4xe.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
that "prius" has almost twice as much engine torque as your Jeep
Is that indefinite? I don’t know. You kinda need it when it weighs 6-700lbs(?) more too. That weight won’t be great on wearable suspension components either. I’m open to my mind being changed though.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Why I like electric, and will love all electric ; I can generate electricity through wind, solar, water to charge electric vehicles.I can NOT refine gasoline. In the very near future, the combination of storage batteries, and generation of electricity will truly allow those who so choose to be Off Grid.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Why I like electric, and will love all electric ; I can generate electricity through wind, solar, water to charge electric vehicles.I can NOT refine gasoline. In the very near future, the combination of storage batteries, and generation of electricity will truly allow those who so choose to be Off Grid.
Absolutely. It is a matter of time. I am buying a small teardrop and it will be power by a jackery battery and solar panels to top off the battery. The technology is moving fast.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The diesel fuel itself, is one of the biggest issues. The sulfur that was removed, was what gave the fuel its lubrication and cooling qualities, which is very important for the high pressure end of the fuel injection system.

As someone who grew up in the diesel repair industry, and drove diesel powered personal vehicles all the way up to the early 2000's, I'd much sooner roll the dice on a battery bank than a modern diesel engine burning modern diesel fuel. But hey, someone's gotta keep my longtime buddies in the diesel injection service industry busy.
Sponsored