Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/04/2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-hybrid-other-vehicles/

The electric motor can be removed via clutches.

https://newmobility.global/e-mobili...n-for-the-four-wheel-drive-jeep-wrangler-4xe/

The electric motor doesn't produce all that power/torque on it's own.
You guys are getting caught-up in symantics....series vs parallel, clutches, etc.... the question was concerning the available power. We've been told all along that the 470ft-lbs of torque will always be available. Yes, it's a combination of gas and electric. I frankly don't care if there's hamsters involved too as long as I get my promised power at all times. Not everyone is here for the green experience.
Sponsored

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Note: you need to get used to pissing folks off when using the regen. having a Telsa for 6 years and the brake lights coming on every time you take your foot off the gas people behind you think you are riding the brake to screwing with them. I do not use the regen much on the tesla, people who ride passenger tend to dislike the frequent feeling of braking. It is a different feel for driver and passenger
Interesting. I have had 2 electric cars, my BMW i3 ONLY had strong regen braking, and I love it. My Chevy Bolt has light or strong and I never use anything but strong regen braking. In fact it annoys me that I have to select it every time I get in the car. Love the fact that in the 4xe you set it and it will remember. I will set it to strong regen and never touch that button again.

It is odd though, my friend got the new Toyota Prime Hybrid, and it does not have stong regen, even as an option! That would be a total dealbreaker for me.

I have never had a passenger comment ever on the strong regen braking. I mean I have showed people how it works and how I can stop for lights without ever touching the brake pedal, but no one has ever mentioned that it feels odd as a passenger. As for the people behind me, well I am slowing down, what do you want!

It massively saves your brake pads. I have 35k miles on the Bolt now, brake pads are fine!

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I have had 2 electric cars, my BMW i3 ONLY had strong regen braking, and I love it. My Chevy Bolt has light or strong and I never use anything but strong regen braking. In fact it annoys me that I have to select it every time I get in the car. Love the fact that in the 4xe you set it and it will remember. I will set it to strong regen and never touch that button again.

It is odd though, my friend got the new Toyota Prime Hybrid, and it does not have stong regen, even as an option! That would be a total dealbreaker for me.

I have never had a passenger comment ever on the strong regen braking. I mean I have showed people how it works and how I can stop for lights without ever touching the brake pedal, but no one has ever mentioned that it feels odd as a passenger. As for the people behind me, well I am slowing down, what do you want!

It massively saves your brake pads. I have 35k miles on the Bolt now, brake pads are fine!
Yes! And I'm thinking in 4:1 low range that max regen is going to be nice offroad for things like hill descent.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Yes! And I'm thinking in 4:1 low range that max regen is going to be nice offroad for things like hill descent.
Well I have the Sahara (my 4 wheel need is annual trips to Corolla/Carova Beach, 20 miles worth of 4x4 beach and sand roads, so the Sahara is plenty) so I don't have the 4:1, but I might have to take it on a beginner rock crawl up in George Wash forest (did that with my Cherokee Trailhawk once) and see how electric only with regen braking works there.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
You guys are getting caught-up in symantics....series vs parallel, clutches, etc.... the question was concerning the available power. We've been told all along that the 470ft-lbs of torque will always be available. Yes, it's a combination of gas and electric. I frankly don't care if there's hamsters involved too as long as I get my promised power at all times. Not everyone is here for the green experience.
Same here and that's why I was asking. So now I'm a little confused and just want to clarify.

Will I get the full 470lbs of torque no matter what mode I'm driving in? This is my concern.

Or I will only get it in hybrid? My initial concern was that the torque was split between the two drivetrains so for example if driving in electric only, you get 200lbs torque, and driving in gas only you get 270lbs torque, but if you drive in hybrid, that's the only way you get 470lbs of torque.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I have the Sahara (my 4 wheel need is annual trips to Corolla/Carova Beach, 20 miles worth of 4x4 beach and sand roads, so the Sahara is plenty) so I don't have the 4:1, but I might have to take it on a beginner rock crawl up in George Wash forest (did that with my Cherokee Trailhawk once) and see how electric only with regen braking works there.
I'm keeping my old TJ for my beach Jeep. Driving out to Moab, Montana and Colorado in the JLURe this summer so I'll be using everything the Rubicon has to offer.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/04/2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-hybrid-other-vehicles/

The electric motor can be removed via clutches.

https://newmobility.global/e-mobili...n-for-the-four-wheel-drive-jeep-wrangler-4xe/

The electric motor doesn't produce all that power/torque on it's own.
470 torque is combined engine and electric motor from all I've read. You have less torque when running electric only but again it is all instantly available. Our first video from one of our esteemed forum members said he was pleasantly surprised by the all electric pickup. Also, if you stomp (probably not a full stomp) on it in all electric the motor comes on so you get the 470.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
I think we both keyed on your phrase "the drivetrain is all electric" which it very much is not. That's hardly getting caught up in semantics.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we both keyed on your phrase "the drivetrain is all electric" which it very much is not. That's hardly getting caught up in semantics.
Yeah, I wasn't really clear about that.

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Can someone please for the love of god comment on acceleration/power/speed? Cant believ I have to ask. Is it fast? When both motors working of course.
I agree, can't believe as of right now it's not 100% clear on the power/torque.

We know it has 470 torque and the diesel is 442. But I'm starting to think the diesel will have more torque/acceleration/power/speed than the 4xe due to the shifting drivetrains

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Can someone please for the love of god comment on acceleration/power/speed? Cant believ I have to ask. Is it fast? When both motors working of course.
Per the poll I put up, mileage/enviro was the #1 reason for the vehicle though everyone has multiple reasons. Maybe we haven't got a hp/torque delivery yet like me lol.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I just picked mine up today. AMAZING. Drives incredibly smooth, brakes feel normal, and it’s silent! Transition is extremely smooth!
So you know what your job is this weekend. First you need to head to the track and get us 0-60 and standing quarter mile times. Then you need to go on a minimum 300 mile road trip so we can stop arguing about what the real MPG is. Lastly you need to do an electric only range test around town and on the freeway.

No pressure. Oh and take lots of pictures.

Really congratulations and have fun

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
So you know what your job is this weekend. First you need to head to the track and get us 0-60 and standing quarter mile times. Then you need to go on a minimum 300 mile road trip so we can stop arguing about what the real MPG is. Lastly you need to do an electric only range test around town and on the freeway.

No pressure. Oh and take lots of pictures.

Really congratulations and have fun
Yes I will get a 0-60 time ASAP! On the first 20 miles I have driven on hybrid only 20mpg but again it’s only been 20 miles! Also strange I have the Sahara 4xe and the rear tow hook is red? Not that I care but like huh?!
Sponsored