Sponsored

Anyone else have this under their dash?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I checked my jeep for any devices awhile back, all good. But I did find one in my DD, that I purchased last year. I pulled it out, smashed it with a hammer and tossed it in the trash.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just went and looked all undermine and nothing like that so I must be good to go.

You are talking about under Driverside dash correct?

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Ummm...am I the only one that checked the calendar for today's date?

OP
OP
Jhint77

Jhint77

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon Sting Gray
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
I just went and looked all undermine and nothing like that so I must be good to go.

You are talking about under Driverside dash correct?
Correct!

Sponsored

Briiiiiian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Diesel Rubicon
Holy crap! Just happened to install my tazer hours before i read this. Marched out there and guess what I found. Thought it was funny to see a cord that low, with an inline fuse from the factory. Need to clean up the dog shit in my back yard. Maybe i'll mail it to dealer.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Holy crap! Just happened to install my tazer hours before i read this. Marched out there and guess what I found. Thought it was funny to see a cord that low, with an inline fuse from the factory. Need to clean up the dog shit in my back yard. Maybe i'll mail it to dealer.
Do you have a loan on your Jeep? Seems really strange to have a tracking device without your knowledge. I need to check mine - my loan is through Chrysler.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Found this on Quora:

If they do, it’s usually because the bank that financed the loan requires there to be a GPS device in the vehicle. I worked for a dealership as a repo-man where repossession was expected in over 50% of their sales. I saw at least one vehicle sold four times in the two years I worked there. It would have been sold five times except it was wrecked by the fourth owner.

Anyway back to the question at hand, the GPS’s that we used were designed to be implanted under the dashboard. Very few customers even knew that a tracking device was installed. When they were late on too many payments and a repo was in order, we would disable the vehicle’s ignition remotely. The customer would call and say “my car ain’t workin, can ya’ll come fix it?”. We would say “Gladly sir/mam, we will have a tow truck come and pick up the vehicle immediately”. That was how 90% of our repo’s went. Thety thought their car was getting fixed but really it was being taken from them, and then sold again to the next victim.
Holy shit!! For the first time I am concerned! This is a serious matter? Do they have it in all Jeep? Should I be checking my Jeep (my Jeep is fully paid). I would be so pissed if I know I am being tracked all these time! I have really strong opinion about privacy and has always been careful not to give out information - not because I have things to hide BUT my business is no one business.

Seriously? I am not technical enough - is it easy to see if it is hooked up to my Jeep? Does everyone have it? Dude if I find something like that in my Jeep I am seriously going to be super pissed (I am usually a very friendly guy) and there will be hell to pay. The thought of this really bothered me!

Please let me know!

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Holy shit!! For the first time I am concerned! This is a serious matter? Do they have it in all Jeep? Should I be checking my Jeep (my Jeep is fully paid). I would be so pissed if I know I am being tracked all these time! I have really strong opinion about privacy and has always been careful not to give out information - not because I have things to hide BUT my business is no one business.

Seriously? I am not technical enough - is it easy to see if it is hooked up to my Jeep? Does everyone have it? Dude if I find something like that in my Jeep I am seriously going to be super pissed (I am usually a very friendly guy) and there will be hell to pay. The thought of this really bothered me!

Please let me know!
Easy as puling a plug ...no not everyone has it...most likely u don't if u own outright otherwise they might risk a lawsuit.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone else have this under their dash? 1617340001314

Meh ..I wouldn't worry unless, I see this guy at my door. At least now you'll have more plug options for the OBD connector. I had to purchase one of those plugs ..they don't grow on trees.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Can someone post a pic of where this would be located or is it pretty obvious that it's there? In my office so I can't go check at the moment.

InTooJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '07 Trailblazer
You will only likely have this if your credit is questionable. I've had to install these devices into vehicles at a local used car dealership. If the client was a high risk purchaser as deemed by the financing company the dealership used, then that gps/ignition disabling device had to be installed and it was a breach of contract to have it removed by anyone but authorized personnel. If you purchased your Jeep used, the device might've been left in there from the prior owner. If you purchased the Jeep new, more than likely you were told that such device would be installed, otherwise I'd be highly suspect of the dealership.

TheConquerorWorm

First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, ordered ('21 JLUR)
Occupation
Trouble Maker
I’m sure gonna add this to the checklist.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
You will only likely have this if your credit is questionable. I've had to install these devices into vehicles at a local used car dealership. If the client was a high risk purchaser as deemed by the financing company the dealership used, then that gps/ignition disabling device had to be installed and it was a breach of contract to have it removed by anyone but authorized personnel. If you purchased your Jeep used, the device might've been left in there from the prior owner. If you purchased the Jeep new, more than likely you were told that such device would be installed, otherwise I'd be highly suspect of the dealership.
Good to know. I wouldn't fall into that category, but also my dealer was the worst dealer in the history of Earth. Wouldn't be surprised if they wired a toaster into the Jeep somewhere.
Sponsored