Sponsored

Dilemma: my dealer just made me a very interesting offer...

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
It looks like you have made up your mind, but my 2 cents...

I love my JLUR. Awesome torque, great fuel economy, what’s not to love. Plus you get bigger axles. Mine has been trouble free.

Also, hasn’t Jeep stopped production of the manuals beca of a problem?
Anyway, good luck.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’d wait on the manual Willys for sure. I’m just not a fan of leasing. I bet most 3.0 engines preform as intended, however, If you lease, ask for a service history and car fax report to see if there has been any trouble with it.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel are worth purchasing if you put a lot of miles on vehicles, a lease is completely conter-intuitive to a diesel truck because your gonna put millage on something you actually don't want top put miles on because it crank your price because of the millage fees/ end of lease purchase interest rates etc, you will eat your savings your planning to gain from paying for the diesel in the first place and those savings can only be returned investment in the long run which is contrary to a lease idea.

I really don't understand why they want to "lease" it, probably cause they think they're gonna gt you on the lease end return and either burry you in fees or you''ll want another jeep and then they will be able to re-negotiate a new deal possibly at higher rates etc because now the bank rates are low because of the economy etc. maybe they're hoping for the rates to go up, I don't know it sounds more like a very subtle way to "pass a sneaky one to you" without you realising in the end it'll cost more.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If I read correctly, the lease is for 5 years? No way. Plus you’re comparing a 4 door diesel/auto to a 2 door gas/manual. Which do you really want? Buy once, cry once. Get what you really want.

If you’re talking about going electric in a few years, then having a Jeep that you purchased will make a trade easier, as Wranglers have such a stupidly high resale value. Plus, I would wait until the electric is on the market for at least 2 years. Let the guys who want to pay a premium to be first get them, then look at how they perform and what issues pop up. My guess is that a brick shaped, heavy Wrangler will be lucky to go 100 miles on a charge in real world driving.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
If I read correctly, the lease is for 5 years? No way. Plus you’re comparing a 4 door diesel/auto to a 2 door gas/manual. Which do you really want? Buy once, cry once. Get what you really want.

If you’re talking about going electric in a few years, then having a Jeep that you purchased will make a trade easier, as Wranglers have such a stupidly high resale value. Plus, I would wait until the electric is on the market for at least 2 years. Let the guys who want to pay a premium to be first get them, then look at how they perform and what issues pop up. My guess is that a brick shaped, heavy Wrangler will be lucky to go 100 miles on a charge in real world driving.
Maybe different in Canada but trading in a leased vehicle was easier than a purchased one here in AZ due to the way taxes worked on it. Would have cost more if I had bought it and traded in same time period of two years.

Agree tho— wouldn’t buy a first model year electric Wrangler. But I understand the desire to swap around vehicles. Some people prefer doing that and are flat out not interested in long term vehicle ownership.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Maybe different in Canada but trading in a leased vehicle was easier than a purchased one here in AZ due to the way taxes worked on it. Would have cost more if I had bought it and traded in same time period of two years.

Agree tho— wouldn’t buy a first model year electric Wrangler. But I understand the desire to swap around vehicles. Some people prefer doing that and are flat out not interested in long term vehicle ownership.
Similar in Canada. Plus, it'd be my work vehicle so I can deduct that from my taxes when I lease it (not when I buy it).

That being said, of course, if an electric brick through the wind doesn't give more than a 100 miles with a 75 KW battery (for example), i'd simply keep the Willys. Leasing just gives me the choice in 5 years, simple as that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Going in to factory order a gasoline —I assume— Willys and being offered to lease a diesel instead, is like going to a restaurant, ordering a Caesar salad and getting a Yorkshire pudding because it is the special of the day.

Besides the different motor, purchasing and leasing are apples and oranges.

Unless you can write off the lease through your business, I’d stay away from leasing. Especially a Wrangler.

Whatever money you think you are saving in fuel, in the long-term you will be paying more by leasing.

PS - JLs are not taking 4-5 months to build.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Going in to factory order a gasoline —I assume— Willys and being offered to lease a diesel instead, is like going to a restaurant, ordering a Caesar salad and getting a Yorkshire pudding because it is the special of the day.

Besides the different motor, purchasing and leasing are apples and oranges.

Unless you can write off the lease through your business, I’d stay away from leasing. Especially a Wrangler.

Whatever money you think you are saving in fuel, in the long-term you will be paying more by leasing.

PS - JLs are not taking 4-5 months to build.
I know they are not taking 4-5 months to build. I'm saying they're taking 4-5 months to get here, in Quebec.

Besides, I already said i'm walking away from the deal. :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I know they are not taking 4-5 months to build. I'm saying they're taking 4-5 months to get here, in Quebec.

Besides, I already said i'm walking away from the deal. :)
Well, that’s what happens when you start a thread. They grow legs and get a life of their own... :LOL:

Good for you. Stick to your plan.

Sponsored

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Hi there, bonjour.

So. Some of you know I just ordered a '21 2DR Willys. But my dealer just called me to make a very, very, very interesting offer.

Instead of waiting about 4-5 months for the car to get here, he offered me to lease the Ecodiesel Sport Altitude demo he has at the dealership.

All in all, the bi-weekly payments would be about the same (3-4 $CAN more, nothing to care about).

I know some of you own diesels. I do about 50 miles as a daily commute. Plus, I have a city house that I must take care of in Quebec City, at about 200 miles from home (every two weeks or so).

I also know an oil change costs a s*** ton of money on the Diesel. But with my calculations, I think it'll cost me less in fuel. Insurances would be about the same.

What do you think? What else should I calculate?

Thanks for you input, merci.

Your dealer lost me at lease.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
According to Jeep Canada website, you do? https://www.jeep.ca/en/jeep-wave
Sorry to disappoint but jeep wave doesn't apply in Canukistan.... straight from the page you linked

"Who is eligible for Jeep WaveTM?
Beginning with the 2021 model year, the All-New Jeep® Grand Cherokee L is automatically enrolled into the Jeep WaveTM program."

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Besides, I already said i'm walking away from the deal.
Solid. It’s a Fiat motor with a short and mixed history - look it up. I wouldn't touch it with a stick. I will never buy another diesel, own a MB 3.0. Diesel fuel is more expensive now, for starters. The rather old saying of getting better gas mileage is countered by the more expensive fuel. However - the real problem is one freak’n emissions repair will immediately wipe out any savings you convinced yourself you were getting, if not your entire bank account. Will be interesting to see what people say about these motors here on this forum when they start reaching 60k+ miles in large numbers.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Solid. It’s a Fiat motor with a short and mixed history - look it up. I wouldn't touch it with a stick. I will never buy another diesel, own a MB 3.0. Diesel fuel is more expensive now, for starters. The rather old saying of getting better gas mileage is countered by the more expensive fuel. However - the real problem is one freak’n emissions repair will immediately wipe out any savings you convinced yourself you were getting, if not your entire bank account. Will be interesting to see what people say about these motors here on this forum when they start reaching 60k+ miles in large numbers.
That was exactly my concern. There is a youtube video buy a guy that works at a jeep dealership, where he points out the expensive oil changes, the overly complex exhaust/emissions, the tight engine bay and the lack of track record for the engines all as concerns. these concerns reasonated with me, and it's why despite wanting the torque, and better mileage, I passed on the engine. everyone has to weigh their comfort level, and decide where they land.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Sorry to disappoint but jeep wave doesn't apply in Canukistan.... straight from the page you linked

"Who is eligible for Jeep WaveTM?
Beginning with the 2021 model year, the All-New Jeep® Grand Cherokee L is automatically enrolled into the Jeep WaveTM program."
Yea, I didn't see that at first. I just quickly read, Complimentary Maintenance for a Limited Time, and thought it was for all Jeeps in Canada

It's totally not fair!

Jeep Wrangler JL Dilemma: my dealer just made me a very interesting offer... Screenshot 2021-04-01 073306
Sponsored