Sponsored

Will any damage be done to the transmission if I don’t regear?

Jaon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Will any damage be done to the transmission if I don’t regear? I have a 2020 sport on 35’s and never see 8th gear. I would like to just change out our axles for rubicon axles instead of putting money into a Dana 30. The hard part is convincing the wife.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Will any damage be done to the transmission if I don’t regear? I have a 2020 sport on 35’s and never see 8th gear. I would like to just change out our axles for rubicon axles instead of putting money into a Dana 30. The hard part is convincing the wife.
Nah the transmission will be fine. Wouldn’t be worth it unless you were going to jump to at least 4.56. Most people say 4.88 is ideal for 35s. I’m running 5.13 with 37s and the manual transmission and it is awesome.

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I'm on stock gears with my 35" Nittos....personally I think they're fine for road use. I would HIGHLY recommend flashing your Jeep with a Tazer or an equivalent, though.

The only damage I've experienced is to my wallet at the gas pump....mpg is non-existent with the set-up 🤣

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am running 35 KO2’s with stock gears along with a steel bumper and winch and I don’t see 8th gear that often and it seems fine other than mpg loss, I did calibrate for larger tires.

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have 35's and running stock gears (4.10) and things seem fine. However I usually don't seem to notice what gear I'm in. I guess if you plan to do extensive off-roading, then could be more justifiable.

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm on stock gears with my 35" Nittos....personally I think they're fine for road use. I would HIGHLY recommend flashing your Jeep with a Tazer or an equivalent, though.

The only damage I've experienced is to my wallet at the gas pump....mpg is non-existent with the set-up 🤣
With the tazer, what exactly are you re-programming? (I don't have much knowledge regarding what all the tazer does).

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the tazer, what exactly are you re-programming? (I don't have much knowledge regarding what all the tazer does).
It essentially allows you to set new parameters as opposed to the factory ones. So if your Jeep comes with 32 inch tires, and you're driving on a 35, 37, etc. without changing the computer's parameters, it'll shift as if you are driving on 32s. The Tazer allows you to change the size to your current tire size and thus the shift points will be more appropriate to your Jeep's set-up.

It also does a wide array of other things but that is what myself and many others mainly use it for.

Sponsored

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It essentially allows you to set new parameters as opposed to the factory ones. So if your Jeep comes with 32 inch tires, and you're driving on a 35, 37, etc. without changing the computer's parameters, it'll shift as if you are driving on 32s. The Tazer allows you to change the size to your current tire size and thus the shift points will be more appropriate to your Jeep's set-up.

It also does a wide array of other things but that is what myself and many others mainly use it for.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for that info. The dealer did my recalibration after putting the 35" on when I bought it....guess that's what they used.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have 35's and running stock gears (4.10) and things seem fine. However I usually don't seem to notice what gear I'm in. I guess if you plan to do extensive off-roading, then could be more justifiable.
The only people who ever say this are those who have never driven a properly geared vehicle.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Nah the transmission will be fine. Wouldn’t be worth it unless you were going to jump to at least 4.56. Most people say 4.88 is ideal for 35s. I’m running 5.13 with 37s and the manual transmission and it is awesome.
Haven't received my JL but waiting on delivery, should be here any day now. However on my JKU Sahara, I regeared from 3.21s to 4.56 for my 35s and it was more than enough. Almost wish I had only done 4.10s. This is for the auto.

Of those that say 4.88s are needed for 35s, they must have a very heavy Jeep or live at high altitude, or both.

I've never felt underpowered with 4.56s.

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only people who ever say this are those who have never driven a properly geared vehicle.
Or they've just grown used to it and it doesn't bother them...?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Haven't received my JL but waiting on delivery, should be here any day now. However on my JKU Sahara, I regeared from 3.21s to 4.56 for my 35s and it was more than enough. Almost wish I had only done 4.10s. This is for the auto.

Of those that say 4.88s are needed for 35s, they must have a very heavy Jeep or live at high altitude, or both.

I've never felt underpowered with 4.56s.
you can't really compare the JL to the JK, completely different transmissions.
Sponsored