Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Wow! Great idea - I've been combing the internet for ideas and this one is damn smart. Really addresses my challenge of an over-full engine compartment on my 3.0 eco diesel. I do have this rigid felt-like cover on my battery so will have to experiment with that velcro. Did you fabricate the short jumper or purchase? (BTW - the solution I am focused on is negative disconnect between battery and ground). THANKS AGAIN for sharing....

I did fabricate my own, but I found this site where you can order custom battery cables. I've never used them and don't know anything about them. https://www.batterycablesusa.com/6-gauge-awg-ul-battery-cable-with-ends
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm asking about that ground jumper that goes from the battery post to the switch mounted atop the battery.

I am adding that velcro to my toolbox. All that's in there now is WD-40 and duct tape.🤪
FYI - if you want cheap and easy with no extra jumper cables required:

Ampper Side Post Battery... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ8MKL2

Not nearly as pretty as Bill’s setup, but it works. Note that on my 2018 I had to slightly enlarge the AUX negative cable lug with a step bit to accommodate the bolt included with this switch.

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management 1617039283826

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
FYI - if you want cheap and easy with no extra jumper cables required:

Ampper Side Post Battery... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ8MKL2

Not nearly as pretty as Bill’s setup, but it works. Note that on my 2018 I had to slightly enlarge the AUX negative cable lug with a step bit to accommodate the bolt included with this switch.

1617039283826.jpeg
@OldGuyNewJeep

@JJT-NC , is wanting to disco ALL 12v power (from both Main and Aux batteries) to his JL.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@OldGuyNewJeep

@JJT-NC , is wanting to disco ALL 12v power (from both Main and Aux batteries) to his JL.
Ohhhhh... I see. Yep, disregard what I posted, then.

@JJT-NC - I will say that West Marine carries proper gauge wire and lugs for making custom length battery cables. I’ve had to make a few for my boat. A solder gun make it much easier... doable with an iron, but those battery wires are thick.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
When charging the aux battery, my NOCO10 is flasshing "red" for over 1 hour. I have positive connected to the main battery positve, negative connected to the Aux battery stud, and the battery disconnect in a disconnected state, thus separating the aux from the main.

The voltage meter reads 15.1v during the charge event, so it is charging. Does this mean I possibly have a bad aux battery? Prior to charging I was holding a 12.5V for a few days.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When charging the aux battery, my NOCO10 is flasshing "red" for over 1 hour. I have positive connected to the main battery positve, negative connected to the Aux battery stud, and the battery disconnect in a disconnected state, thus separating the aux from the main.

The voltage meter reads 15.1v during the charge event, so it is charging. Does this mean I possibly have a bad aux battery? Prior to charging I was holding a 12.5V for a few days.
@Redbaron73

No way... would I hook up a Noco 10 to the 12Ah 200CCA, Aux battery... no way in hell....... NOCO reps would tell you the same thing...

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Redbaron73

No way... would I hook up a Noco 10 to the 12Ah 200CCA, Aux battery... no way in hell....... NOCO reps would tell you the same thing...
Ok--educate me---why?

Can it not charge at a 2amp rate? Is it only a fixed 10amp?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok--educate me---why?

@Redbaron73

Reach out to NOCO support and ask them which of their units they recommend for a 12 AH 200CCA AGM battery.. They won't say to much but will tell you they recommend at most probably their Noco 1-2.

Here is a response from NOCO in regard to their Noco 10 and a 12 AH AGM Battery
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management Capture.JPG

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Ok--educate me---why?

all the makers of chargers and batteries i conversed with recommend .20-.35% bulk charge for the amps of the battery so for the piss poor ESS battery at 12-15 amp hours the bulk charge needs to be at 2-5 amps at 14+ volts then go into float once fully charged and since it’s a smart charger it automatically drops the amp and voltage output as needed based on several things like battery condition, temperature etc..

The NOCO you have is almost double the needed rating for that ESS battery but is fine for the main crank battery.

When you connect the NOCO if it flashes red constantly the battery is dead according to the charger as it’s below the minimum voltage the charger needs to see to be considered healthy so my suggestion is if it’s under warranty then get it serviced but you could try “Force” mode, this will force the charger to look past the low voltage for 5 mins I believe and then go back into STBY then you could try a normal charge but as I said the 10 amp NOCO is oversized for that ESS battery and this is a problem as it forces one to have to get two chargers to properly maintain the AGM batteries as they are sized differently, another FCA boo-boo.

Maintaining batteries that are sized differently is a PITA to say the least, FCA should have just put two full sized batteries in these jeeps as it makes it easier to maintain but we as owners have to devise ways to do this and those ways vary from inexpensive to over the top.

To answer your original ques it does charge at a lower amp rating but it’s not user selectable, upon connecting it goes to what it’s rated at for that mode and the AGM mode is 10 amps at 14.5ish on volts then once it sees this for a period of time and this time can be short as it’s all based on the condition of the battery then it drops down and continues to drop until it gets to float mode

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

If you have a question about if your negative cable is connected correctly, you need to post a picture or a diagram showing your battery disconnect and the aux battery stud. I would not want to assume how it is setup.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I connected a 2amp atv charger and it fully charged in 20 minutes. I then charged the main using the noco 10 and it charged within 15 minutes.

Lesson learned about noco10 and the smaller battery. I am going to order a noco 2 for the aux.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I connected a 2amp atv charger and it fully charged in 20 minutes. I then charged the main using the noco 10 and it charged within 15 minutes.

Lesson learned about noco10 and the smaller battery. I am going to order a noco 2 for the aux.
If your still under warranty I would still suggest you have the batteries load tested on your next service visit and if all comes back good then I would suggest a routine battery charging schedule, my current schedule is once a week I do a top off with a NOCO 10 and once a month i do a deep cycle conditioning charge with a Odyssey 20 amp multi stage.

What I do is likely over the top but I run a different battery setup compared to stock and I want to squeeze all the life I can from the batteries I chose to run with but unlike most my batteries are of identical size and better quality than stock.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As advised, I reached out to NOCO Support for their official answer. They agree that this can be used to charge any battery that is under 230Ah.

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management 1617319898884

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As advised, I reached out to NOCO Support for their official answer. They agree that this can be used to charge any battery that is under 230Ah.

1617319898884.png
@Redbaron73

Daaaah, Obviously, the Noco 10 has the capability to charge a battery that is under 230 Ah... This is a given...

What she/ that Rep, did not say.... was that the Noco 10 was not the best choice for a 12 AH battery.

I take issue with her/that rep's response to you....

The other rep, whose reply, I gave a screen shot of earlier in this thread, has a friggin clue, where the rep that responded to you is not one whose advice I would take to the bank so to speak. She is a clueless dipchitt.

Using a Noco 10 on a 200CCA 12 Ah, AGM battery, is like using a sledge hammer to hammer small finish nails in with. Sure, the sledge will hit the small nail head... but good chance you will destroy the sheetrock in the process..

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 - You are correct, assuming that the Noco Genius 10 puts out a steady 10Amp charge at all times.

I have no reason to doubt what you say, but I am looking for a specification that apparently does not exist.

I also question what controls the charging rate from the factory alternator. Since it is wired directly to the same path as the main battery, it appears as thought it receives the same amperage and voltage from the alternator as the main battery.

The rep that responded on the amazon page did in fact seem to use more technical data to support their answer. I do not plan on using the G10 for the aux battery, but would really like to see more technical information on what that charger is doing.

This brings up an electrical question in general. Can AMPS be "pushed" or must they be "pulled"/"consumed"? I know voltage is determined by the supply, and the supply has a maximum amps it can offer, but can a supply push 10Amps vs 2Amps, or is that up to the battery/load to consume the amps up to the maximum available?
Sponsored

Last edited: