Sponsored

Which hard top removal device would you recommend?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I have the Harken hoist. Perfect for a garage with a lower ceiling, inexpensive, and easy to install. I can have my top off in less than 10 minutes, including popping the freedom panels and undoing the bolts. The components are well made, and the block and tackle system takes all the lifting effort out. The brake works extremely well too, though, for storage I prefer to tie the loose end off to a cleat for added piece of mind.

ā€˜Food for thought though.... I prefer the manual winch over a powered one. On more than one occasion I had a brain fart and forgot to unplug the wire harness and washer fluid tube. If I feel any resistance I stop and check everything. If I was using an electric winch Iā€™d be worried about doing damage to the top if I forgot a bolt or connection.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I have the Harken hoist. Perfect for a garage with a lower ceiling, inexpensive, and easy to install. I can have my top off in less than 10 minutes, including popping the freedom panels and undoing the bolts. The components are well made, and the block and tackle system takes all the lifting effort out. The brake works extremely well too, though, for storage I prefer to tie the loose end off to a cleat for added piece of mind.

ā€˜Food for thought though.... I prefer the manual winch over a powered one. On more than one occasion I had a brain fart and forgot to unplug the wire harness and washer fluid tube. If I feel any resistance I stop and check everything. If I was using an electric winch Iā€™d be worried about doing damage to the top if I forgot a bolt or connection.
I'll definitely keep the food for thought in back of my mind. That's really good advice.

Sponsored

Big Bear

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK
TopLift Pros. Is it the best solution based on dollars spent? I don't know. What's your time worth? Is it the best solution based on getting the job done? For me it was.
I looked at dozens of options and videos etc. and in the end I decided it was the way to go.
(Full disclosure: I own one and love it, but I sold my Wrangler and will be selling the lift, but I never regretted buying it.)

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For those of you with the TopLift Pro / RollnJack style hoists, how stable are they when leaving the top on it for extended periods?

I live in earthquake country and that's my main concern with them. For that reason, I've been leaning towards the Lange cart because you can shift it to rest closer to the ground rather than suspended mid-air. But... the TopLift / RollnJack style looks so much easier to use solo.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
did you get a chance to use the hoist yet?
I sure did! A few more steps than RollnJack and LiftTop Pro, but for a lesser cost, it works great. I followed the video from Quadratec on how adjust the straps so that it is lifted evenly. I definitely took it slow for the first time. Its pretty straight forward. The winch seemed to be holding its own and I stored it in the upright position for the day. I forgot to take pics of the top on the hoist, I'll definitely do that next time. The only recommendation I would have is to open the glass, install rear hook from underneath, then connect it to the provided D-ring. So much simpler. It lifted evenly, rolled back without any issues, vertically storing was a breeze and putting it back on took about 5 minutes. When I'm done I roll it right up to my boat in the garage, the overhang is over the boat, the cart is under the trailer and I only use up about 6 inches of my garage. I'll take pics of that when I get home. I would definitely recommend this hoist. The straps were a much needed improvement over the cable from the 1st gen.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? Jeeper

By the way, if there is anyone out there that has a JK that needs the rear hook for a hoist like that you can have mine. It will never get used. Let me know where I can send it, and I'll get in shipped out.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I sure did! A few more steps than RollnJack and LiftTop Pro, but for a lesser cost, it works great. I followed the video from Quadratec on how adjust the straps so that it is lifted evenly. I definitely took it slow for the first time. Its pretty straight forward. The winch seemed to be holding its own and I stored it in the upright position for the day. I forgot to take pics of the top on the hoist, I'll definitely do that next time. The only recommendation I would have is to open the glass, install rear hook from underneath, then connect it to the provided D-ring. So much simpler. It lifted evenly, rolled back without any issues, vertically storing was a breeze and putting it back on took about 5 minutes. When I'm done I roll it right up to my boat in the garage, the overhang is over the boat, the cart is under the trailer and I only use up about 6 inches of my garage. I'll take pics of that when I get home. I would definitely recommend this hoist. The straps were a much needed improvement over the cable from the 1st gen.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? Jeeper

By the way, if there is anyone out there that has a JK that needs the rear hook for a hoist like that you can have mine. It will never get used. Let me know where I can send it, and I'll get in shipped out.
ok you sold me, thank you for getting back this looks awesome

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
ok you sold me, thank you for getting back this looks awesome

check out this video from quadratec. I watched it then did what he did. Made it super simple. You shouldnā€™t have any issue. The assembly was easy also. All the pieces were very clearly marked making assembly a project I was able to share with my boys. We had a lot of fun.

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
TopLift Pros. Is it the best solution based on dollars spent? I don't know. What's your time worth? Is it the best solution based on getting the job done? For me it was.
I looked at dozens of options and videos etc. and in the end I decided it was the way to go.
(Full disclosure: I own one and love it, but I sold my Wrangler and will be selling the lift, but I never regretted buying it.)
I'm in FL, and would love to take it off your hands :)

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
How do you like this setup, thinking of doing the same and then lowering to a hardtop cart and storing vertically. Can you show how your straps are arranged on the hardtop when you lift?
Finally got weather worthy to try my system. First attempt was bad...so much more weight toward back. I just had two straps one on each side passenger and driver. Finally ran a strap between those two and tied that in place so it would not slide. This strap was about 2/3 of the way back from front. Found the balance point.

PXL_20210403_235513790.jpg

PXL_20210403_235533086.jpg

HipCheck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon V6
I only have a hard top and pop it off often. For the last 3 years Iā€™ve used Top Lift Pro. Itā€™s fantastic. 1 person job. You canā€™t mess it up. My buddy made his own ceiling hoist and blew his window out because of misalignment. Instantly wished he had another method.
Sponsored