First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
So I totaled my Mercedes on Friday night. Was going too fast and lost control. Looking at Jeep’s since I already use my wife’s all the time.

I really like the 392 but since I just got in an accident going too fast (no one else or other vehicles involved) I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. I also saw a statement from FCA that said all vehicles in 2022 from FCA will ship with U Connect 5.

I definitely want a Rubcion but wondering if I should just use a car lease app for a 6 months until 2022 vehicles are released.

Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next? 6CE373B6-9190-4662-B285-FD23B710C01F
Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have been in an at-fault accident before, and my auto insurance went through the roof for 6 years. If you do decide on getting the 392, be prepared to pay $$$ on insurance.
Good point. I’m prepared for that. Luckily no police report or anything. It was in my parking garage into a cement pillar, but yes my fault even if I lost control.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Damn!

This is a very interesting time and possibly the best time ever to buy a jeep. You have options for every possible use-case:

1. If money is no object and you must have the feel and sound of a V8, the 392 is available.
2. If you have a short commute and/or can charge your vehicle at work, the 4xE has you covered.
3. There’s an NA V6 and a 2.0 turbo available.
4. If you drive long distances you can get a diesel. Also great if you intend on adding weight.

Of course only two of these powertrains are available on the two door and only one with manual transmission unfortunately.

I bet you already know what you want given your current experience with jeeps. I say get exactly what you want even if it means waiting for a 2022, just be advised that Jeep is fond of pulling colors without warning!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So I totaled my Mercedes on Friday night. Was going too fast and lost control. Looking at Jeep’s since I already use my wife’s all the time.

I really like the 392 but since I just got in an accident going too fast (no one else or other vehicles involved) I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. I also saw a statement from FCA that said all vehicles in 2022 from FCA will ship with U Connect 5.

I definitely want a Rubcion but wondering if I should just use a car lease app for a 6 months until 2022 vehicles are released.

Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next? 6CE373B6-9190-4662-B285-FD23B710C01F
Oh man that sucks. I know a "friend" who was also at fault in an accident, totaled vehicle high speed collision (below speed limit tho). My "friend" had an entire morning of hard workout under the sun, did not eat anything and passed out while driving on the freeway.

Well insurance went up, but not by much. After 1 year it went back down. I guess my "friend" got lucky!

Anyway. If you have a "weakness" for speed, stay away from Jeeps. Jeeps are vehicles to enjoy at low speeds. Offroad, or driving through town with the top off and such. That Mercedes is much safer than a Jeep at high speeds.

Good luck! and dont feel too guilty about it. We are all humans. I totaled my dads sedan when I was 18. Crashed it against a concrete wall while being dumb. Since then I drive like a grandma. Maybe thatll happen to you too.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Thoughts?

6CE373B6-9190-4662-B285-FD23B710C01F.jpeg
Josiah:

Hi.

I'm sorry for loss of your vehicle and appreciate you being honest about how it happened. It's also useful in terms if this discussion.

I can think of reasons why a Wrangler could be, or not be a good fit for you.

On the one hand, this anything but aerodynamic box on wheels does not excel at speed, so it might slow you down in a positive way. On the other hand, if you intend to drive 75% of what envelope you might have pushed on your sedan, with the Wrangler's high center of gravity I worry about you flipping.

Wranglers are cool and offer many features sedans don't. But sedans, especially high end ones like your last offer performance, and smoother handling, and features that Wranglers don't.

Consider thinking about your favorite aspects of both vehicles, and which among them you're willing to do without, as no way do both vehicles' top features list overlap completely; perhaps not even mostly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
number one suggestion - delete this post - and ask your question minus some of the details :whew:
Why I told my insurance the truth. Was going faster than I thought to make the turn. That’s exactly what happened. No one else was involved. Not seeing the issue if this post was discovered?

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Damn!

This is a very interesting time and possibly the best time ever to buy a jeep. You have options for every possible use-case:

1. If money is no object and you must have the feel and sound of a V8, the 392 is available.
2. If you have a short commute and/or can charge your vehicle at work, the 4xE has you covered.
3. There’s an NA V6 and a 2.0 turbo available.
4. If you drive long distances you can get a diesel. Also great if you intend on adding weight.

Of course only two of these powertrains are available on the two door and only one with manual transmission unfortunately.

I bet you already know what you want given your current experience with jeeps. I say get exactly what you want even if it means waiting for a 2022, just be advised that Jeep is fond of pulling colors without warning!
Yeah waiting for the 2022 models is feeling like the right thing.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I'm interesting in learning how much your insurance premium is afterwards.
I’ll let you know. Not excited to find out but out of my control now.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Sounds like you need a Subaru with all the safety nannies to keep you out of harm’s way from wandering concrete pillars :LOL:
I wish is that simple but more than one lesson learned from this I’ll tell you that.
Sponsored