Sponsored

Wireless CarPlay dongles?

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found a wireless CarPlay dongle that works with the Uconnect 8.4 head? I have seen a few on the market that turn the USB port into a wireless CarPlay connection but didn’t know how well it worked with the JL.
Sponsored

Sponsored

OP
OP
angustx

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This looks like it would work. If you try it keep us posted.
There are actually several more out there. I am stunned that Apple hasn’t released one or that FCA has not thought to release one. I would assume car manufacturers would love the revenue of a $200 accessory like this.

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few people on the Raptor forums that have used this with Sync3. It works as advertised but audio over bluetooth is usually subpar when compared to a wired connection. Also, you aren’t charging your phone when doing this. That’s the main reason I’ve never bothered.

https://cplay2air.com/.

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
There are a few people on the Raptor forums that have used this with Sync3. It works as advertised but audio over bluetooth is usually subpar when compared to a wired connection. Also, you aren’t charging your phone when doing this. That’s the main reason I’ve never bothered.

Sgt. If you refer to the Jeep owners manuel on pages 557 and 558 there is a detailed explanation of how to use the USB ports in the Jeep. I believe there is a way to charge your phone while using the wireless car play.

Sponsored

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Sgt. If you refer to the Jeep owners manuel on pages 557 and 558 there is a detailed explanation of how to use the USB ports in the Jeep. I believe there is a way to charge your phone while using the wireless car play.
If you’re plugging you phone in to a usb port, it kinda defeats the purpose of having “wireless” carplay. 😂😂

OP
OP
angustx

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re plugging you phone in to a usb port, it kinda defeats the purpose of having “wireless” carplay. 😂😂
The vast majority of the time, I don’t want to charge my phone. I just want CarPlay. I don’t want to take my phone out of my pocket either. When I take my phone out of my pocket in the Jeep, I leave it there by accident a fair amount. Wireless CarPlay with a plug in fallback is a great option for me. At the end of the day it depends on the person I suppose but wireless CarPlay is a huge feature for me.

OP
OP
angustx

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Wireless CarPlay uses Wi-Fi rather than Bluetooth for audio. Bluetooth is used for the control channel. The audio quality is identical to wired CarPlay.

Espinosa21

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL
I bought this one the other day. I plugged it into the USB port in the center console and you don’t see it. Setup took less than 5 minutes to add my phone and update the dongle . It auto connects about 15 to 20 seconds after turning on the car. I know this defeats the purpose, but you can still connect a USB cable directly into the dongle if you need to charge your phone. So far, I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1GWQDB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored