Chopped factory fenders blowing off

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
This is the third time my fenders have now blown off on a windy day. Has anyone else had this problem and how have you fixed it?
Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Assuming you are saying you removed the plastic welded innerliner only and not modified the outer skin.. I have no idea why they'd fall off other than impact.

What do you have for a front fender light, generally all those mods come with a bracket that mounts to the front panel and makes the fender rigid.

WaX

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Rosco1983

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Assuming you are saying you removed the plastic welded innerliner only and not modified the outer skin.. I have no idea why they'd fall off other than impact.

What do you have for a front fender light, generally all those mods come with a bracket that mounts to the front panel and makes the fender rigid.

WaX
Yes I have the quake led fender lights with no inner fender. It doesn't help its always windy here. I was driving 50mph into a sustained 50mph head wind with 70mph gusts of wind.

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
the stock fenders have like 4 bolts that hold them on. what is the attach method for your chops?

OP
OP
Rosco1983

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
the stock fenders have like 4 bolts that hold them on. what is the attach method for your chops?
The little white clips and the one bolt and nut that attach it to the light.

OP
OP
Rosco1983

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I like the look of the factory finders but without the inner layer of the finder they just won't hold up to the Kansas wind. I have looked at the rugged ridge finders but they appear to mount the same way. I guess I can try the American adventure labs bolt on idea and see how that works. I could never have imagined these finders catch that much wind. I mean I tried pushing and poling on these things and they seemed solid.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is the third time my fenders have now blown off on a windy day. Has anyone else had this problem and how have you fixed it?
I think it’s because the bottom corner of the fender isn’t supported. It flops around pretty good at freeway speeds.

I did the chop with AAL kit and they don’t have you support the lower corner. The factory inners have a brace down in that corner so I cut it down and reused it. At first I used JB Weld which worked and held up good until it met a tree branch on a tight trail......:facepalm:...... so now I have 2 button head bolts holding it.

I didn’t want anything showing on the outside of the fender, but I blacked them out, they look okay I guess. It’s rock solid now.........:)

Jeep Wrangler JL Chopped factory fenders blowing off 32135FEB-ACA2-46A0-A3B8-C6627814CDD2
Jeep Wrangler JL Chopped factory fenders blowing off 9EED2889-0650-4F46-8FF3-BC605C3E4C19

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rosco1983

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I think it’s because the bottom corner of the fender isn’t supported. It flops around pretty good at freeway speeds.

I did the chop with AAL kit and they don’t have you support the lower corner. The factory inners have a brace down in that corner so I cut it down and reused it. At first I used JB Weld which worked and held up good until it met a tree branch on a tight trail......:facepalm:...... so now I have 2 button head bolts holding it.

I didn’t want anything showing on the outside of the fender, but I blacked them out, they look okay I guess. It’s rock solid now.........:)

Jeep Wrangler JL Chopped factory fenders blowing off 9EED2889-0650-4F46-8FF3-BC605C3E4C19
I will have to try that. I Was kind of wondering if thats what it was

Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I will have to try that. I Was kind of wondering if thats what it was
I have seen this done before. If you are regularly in mud, it can build up on that bracket, which would be annoying but not detrimental.

I have also seen people put in a nutsert in that last bottom hole and thread in a bolt and 1" washer.

WaX

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
OP, Thanks for posting. I have thought about a fender chop also. My JLR has a Mopar lift, 37 's and stock fenders. In very sticky mud, it builds up on the tires and rubs on liners a little. To date, it has never bothered me enough to justify aftermarket liners and light/brace costs. Now it never will. FYI, I f you, I would put the factory engineered liners back on. JL Rubicons have more tire clearance than JK's and non Rubi JL's. Like some say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Once the fender is chopped, it's a one way trip. The fender underliner is a two part plastic welded part.
The main reason for this mod aside from just looking good is articulation, moding the fender can allow an additional 3+ inches of up travel.
The OPs trouble is an anomaly, easily fixed with some simple improvements but definitely not a reason to not do the mod.

WaX

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Too bad the OP can't reverse the chop. I never heard plastic liners couldn't be put back. As for me, I'm going to keep the stock fenders and money in my pocket. I can live with a little mud scaping once in while during full stuff. Here in the S.W., mud doesn't happen very often.
The plastic inner fender liners in the wheel well can be removed and reinstalled, what we are talking about is the 'under' liner that is part of the outer fender itself.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I used the AAL fender retention hardware kits on all 4 fenders. They replace the loose fitting white clips and keep the fenders planted pretty firmly. I also took a page out of Rokys playbook, as far as recycling the front rearward factory honeycomb brace. Just haven't reinstalled it yet. That would be the finishing touch for a rigid wind resistant chopped fender.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had an issues with the crazy ass Kansas wind and the chopped fenders so far.
Sponsored