Sponsored

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
The diesel guys probably see these 4Xe posts when they click the new post button. Some don't realize they are posting in a dedicated forum and some don't understand it isnt a comparison of constant long distance drives. The 4Xe has better short distance mpg for the majority. They also don't take into account the higher cost of the diesel not only to buy but maintain. I say this as a person who would have bought a diesel if I drove enough daily miles.
Agree. With mixed driving of short and long distance and with nightly recharging I believe the 4xe will go quite a bit further on a tank than the diesel. I test drove the diesel and liked it but want the added power and torque of the 4xe as well as the environmental benefits. The 7500 tax credit and diesel maintenance cost were also considerations.
Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
The diesel guys probably see these 4Xe posts when they click the new post button. Some don't realize they are posting in a dedicated forum and some don't understand it isnt a comparison of constant long distance drives. The 4Xe has better short distance mpg for the majority. They also don't take into account the higher cost of the diesel not only to buy but maintain. I say this as a person who would have bought a diesel if I drove enough daily miles.
And the HP/Torque of the 4Xe.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
I am still confused by all of this. Please feel no need to explain it to me. I am just hanging out and waiting for you pioneers to take delivery and then tell us the story of how your using it and what you are getting.

Thank you all and looking forward to the 4xe's on the road.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I am still confused by all of this. Please feel no need to explain it to me. I am just hanging out and waiting for you pioneers to take delivery and then tell us the story of how your using it and what you are getting.
Well said :like: Especially looking forward to how the new platform tows.

One note tho, has Jeep been crowing that the 4XE will have the farthest range of their Wranglers?:bandit:

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Well said :like: Especially looking forward to how the new platform tows.

One note tho, has Jeep been crowing that the 4XE will have the farthest range of their Wranglers?:bandit:
The main point I've seen is HP and Torque from them. I've also seen no range anxiety. I've not seen nor remember anything about the longest distance.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Interesting only pro-EV people use this term.
Well yeah, because charge stations aren't nearly as frequent as gas stations. It doesn't highlight a fault in the vehicle itself. It'd be like saying "Interesting sharks don't have a fear of heights." I guarantee you I'll continue to have more range anxiety in my GT350R than in any Jeep. My 50 mile warning light comes on at a quarter tank. Had Jeep said the 4xe would have the longest range? I thought we figured that would always be the diesel.

Last edited:

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I would like to know how they managed to build a hybrid that gets worse mileage than the same engine without a hybrid.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I would like to know how they managed to build a hybrid that gets worse mileage than the same engine without a hybrid.
This has been covered ad nauseum. That is the gas-only mileage, when the battery isn't contributing.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I guess I missed it too = I thought the 20 mpg was in hybrid mode.
So no EPA mileage figure for hybrid? Seems that number would be important-
It definitely is important, but Jeep seems to be relying on us early adopters to determine the number for them lol. I suppose part of the issue is there would be a bunch of variables - the mileage will start to decrease as range increases, and which hybrid/regen driving mode will also affect the mileage. So it would be hard to quote an actual figure.

Last edited:

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The EPA doesn't give this number for any hybrid. They use the MPGe standard.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All I know is I have 470 torque for my steel accessories and 37's at less of a cost, in my situation, than a diesel or a 392. I've owned a couple of V8 cars ranging from 5.7 liter to 6.2 liter and I'll definitely miss the sound of a 392. Diesel makes complete sense if you drive a lot of miles.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The EPA doesn't give this number for any hybrid. They use the MPGe standard.
Yeah that's what appeared to be the case. The BMW X5 plugin hybrid has the same gas-only and MPGe numbers, but no reported number in hybrid mode.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
The 20 MPG is in hybrid mode. I know people are getting confused with gas only but the hybrid mode is the normal mode for the jeep. I actually read in one of the EPA reports. A couple things confirm this also. One is the city and hwy mileage are the same. This would not be in a all gas rig. Second is multiply the tank size by 20 and add the all electric range. You are almost exactly the total range given for the 4xe.

There is no doubt that the diesel will go farther and the diesel has advantages over a traditional gas engine for off-roading but in my mind the hybrid should have most all those advantages plus. With the difference in price, cost of diesel vs gas and the cost to maintain a diesel there is no way that the extra MPG of a diesel will ever bridge the gap. Not even close.

Now the elephant in the room is the hybrid is pretty much unproven technology. I completely understand why people will want to avoid it for a couple years. Diesel engines can, and often do, run just about forever. I recently sold my 7.3 Ford after 18 years and basically put nothing other than basic maintenance in the motor. The Eco Diesel has had it's issues in other platforms but sounds like they are getting them fixed.
Sponsored