First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm constantly amazed at how efficiently/powerfully/smoothly the EcoDiesel performs. After VW's Dieselgate I would have said that clean diesels are a fool's errand, but this is a cake-and-eat-it-too for those of us interested in both performance and the environment. I'd be interested in a tune that creates more power, but not at the cost of more emissions.

[Yes...I know that I'm in the minority here, but I can't be the only one]
Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I'm constantly amazed at how efficiently/powerfully/smoothly the EcoDiesel performs. After VW's Dieselgate I would have said that clean diesels are a fool's errand, but this is a cake-and-eat-it-too for those of us interested in both performance and the environment. I'd be interested in a tune that creates more power, but not at the cost of more emissions.

[Yes...I know that I'm in the minority here, but I can't be the only one]
That would be near impossible. It's a very fine balancing act, when you have diesels, and the restrictions that are now on them. It was a balancing act, but not as much, before all emissions were required. Basically with diesels, more fuel and air equals more power. Too much fuel, and you get too much engine heat, more smoke. You would even get better economy and power, as long as you didnt go too far, and watched your exhaust temps. You didnt want to burn up a piston. With Common Rail Injection, you could use programmers to fine tune the now used computers to get the best of all worlds. But, throw in the restrictions of the modern Emissions you cannot do this reliably, for long. Sure, some can squeeze out a few more HPs, but it is expensive and there is a good chance it will increase emissions, like you detest. That is why ripping out the emissions is so popular. Better reliability by a long shot, much better power, minor increase in emissions, and much better mileage. Better mileage means less pollution .

WE might have better luck in helping the environment, if we could stop China, India, and other Third World Countries from industrial burning everything they can, and dumping much of their wastes into the oceans. American auto pollutants are just a small drop in the bucket, for world pollution, compared to what China and India do.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
WE might have better luck in helping the environment, if we could stop China, India, and other Third World Countries from industrial burning everything they can, and dumping much of their wastes into the oceans. American auto pollutants are just a small drop in the bucket, for world pollution, compared to what China and India do.
I can't disagree that that would help, but, even with the whataboutthemism, the facts don't support your position as well as you think:

China and India are virtually tied in population at about 1.4 billion people - the USA (330 million) is about 25% their size. Yet China "only" pollutes twice as much as we do, and India pollutes HALF as much as we do.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/each-countrys-share-co2-emissions

We are the world's leading economy and we punch well above our body weight on being poor shepard's of the Earth's resources.

Or...we can just ignore facts, and blame everyone else.

DaltonGang: All of that said, I continue to benefit from your technical expertise. We just aren't totally aligned on this issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't disagree that that would help, but, even with the whataboutthemism, the facts don't support your position as well as you think:

China and India are virtually tied in population at about 1.4 billion people - the USA (330 million) is about 25% their size. Yet China "only" pollutes twice as much as we do, and India pollutes HALF as much as we do.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/each-countrys-share-co2-emissions

We are the world's leading economy and we punch well above our body weight on being poor shepard's of the Earth's resources.

Or...we can just ignore facts, and blame everyone else.

DaltonGang: All of that said, I continue to benefit from your technical expertise. We just aren't totally aligned on this issue.
Some facts not put out by you.
USA- 83% population lives in urban areas.
China- 60% population lives in urban areas, spread out at approx the same land size. Chinese pollution kills 4000 per day, according to a 2015 study.
India- 31% population lives in urban areas.

The USA is not anywhere close to the pollution output of China and India. I remember the late 60's and 70's, and how bad major cities were, in america. Now, with scrubbers on Coal plants, chemical plants and other manufacturing plants, we have air in major cities that dont make you cough, or burn your eyes. Nuclear energy power p!ants, Natural gas power plants, and businesses, as well as catalytic converters, for gas vehicles helped a lot.
It is the wild west, in China, India, and other 3rd world countries, as far as responsible control of pollution.
Now, if you eliminate Los Angeles, the USA would look pretty clean.

Reactions: VNT

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Some facts not put out by you.
USA- 83% population lives in urban areas.
China- 60% population lives in urban areas, spread out at approx the same land size. Chinese pollution kills 4000 per day, according to a 2015 study.
India- 31% population lives in urban areas.

The USA is not anywhere close to the pollution output of China and India. I remember the late 60's and 70's, and how bad major cities were, in america. Now, with scrubbers on Coal plants, chemical plants and other manufacturing plants, we have air in major cities that dont make you cough, or burn your eyes. Nuclear energy power p!ants, Natural gas power plants, and businesses, as well as catalytic converters, for gas vehicles helped a lot.
It is the wild west, in China, India, and other 3rd world countries, as far as responsible control of pollution.
Now, if you eliminate Los Angeles, the USA would look pretty clean.
I'm sorry, the facts just don't support your claim. Especially your claim that the USA is just a "drop in the bucket" in comparison to China/India. That is a bridge too far no matter how you slice it.

One of my daughters is a microbiologist. I listen to scientists (and have the tuition bills to prove it).

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rickinAZ ,

My brother is a Doctor, and I have degrees in Biology and Chemistry. So what. If you are listening to the The World Health Organization(they monitor pollution worldwide), well, they are in bed with China, and can be paid off. So, you might want to rethink things, and step outside to breath some fresh air, to see for yourself. oops, I guess you shouldn't, because Phoenix has some of the worst pollution in the USA. Maybe you should ride a bike, instead of driving your Jeep. Put your money where your mouth is. 😆.
ALso, I have traveled all over the USA, Europe, and several other countries. I have relatives who have been just about everywhere. I would trust them over the W.H.O..
Oh, I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, so, I guess that makes me an expert Climatologist, or at least more reliable than the W.H.O..

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
@rickinAZ ,

My brother is a Doctor, and I have degrees in Biology and Chemistry. So what. If you are listening to the The World Health Organization(they monitor pollution worldwide), well, they are in bed with China, and can be paid off. So, you might want to rethink things, and step outside to breath some fresh air, to see for yourself. oops, I guess you shouldn't, because Phoenix has some of the worst pollution in the USA. Maybe you should ride a bike, instead of driving your Jeep. Put your money where your mouth is. 😆.
ALso, I have traveled all over the USA, Europe, and several other countries. I have relatives who have been just about everywhere. I would trust them over the W.H.O..
Oh, I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, so, I guess that makes me an expert Climatologist, or at least more reliable than the W.H.O..
Not sure why you replied to me, but Huston isn't far behind Phoenix.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Hey @rickinAZ , you might want to look at this.
Increases in pollution from 1990-2017
China- +353%
India- +305%
Iran- +224%
USA- +00.4%.

Game. Set. Match.

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
Again, not sure why you replied to me, but what are you trying to prove here? That the regulations in the United States are working as intended? That pollution in the United States has been stagnant despite population growth?

@rickinAZ was factoring in population, which can be seen in the link I provided earlier... in this chart:

Jeep Wrangler JL Modifying the 3.0 Engine and Exhaust to Delete Emissions, and Boost Power {filename}

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@rickinAZ ,

I provide an even-tempered reply, and you come back with sarcasm. I even went out of my way to compliment your technical expertise. Why the aggressive approach to an academic discussion?

I love dino-fueled vehicles as much as the next guy, but the world is QUICKLY passing them by because they're....well....dinosaurs. The way to save internal combustion engines, for a little while at least, is to make them cleaner, not dirtier. The 50s are not coming back.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I just want my exhaust to go where it belongs, out the exhaust pipe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the warranty on the emissions system expire at 24K miles?

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
sure modify a new engine so when it messes up you have no warranty great idea. and just so you know those so called delete kits that say they will increase your MPG don't. just do a little goggle search and you will see that its a scam. and of the 500,000 trucks that do this each year its like adding about 5-10 million cars to the road for air quality. so just don't do it and be grateful you got 400lb of torque ill give you my 3.6 in an even swap.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I'm tickled with my torque and mpg.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sure modify a new engine so when it messes up you have no warranty great idea. and just so you know those so called delete kits that say they will increase your MPG don't. just do a little goggle search and you will see that its a scam. and of the 500,000 trucks that do this each year its like adding about 5-10 million cars to the road for air quality. so just don't do it and be grateful you got 400lb of torque ill give you my 3.6 in an even swap.
Well, the reason many dont see an increase in MPG is because they are romping on it, too often, and those that I know that have deleted equip, and reprogrammed , admit this. They also say their mileage is greatly increased when restraint is used. .

I provide an even-tempered reply, and you come back with sarcasm. I even went out of my way to compliment your technical expertise. Why the aggressive approach to an academic discussion?

I love dino-fueled vehicles as much as the next guy, but the world is QUICKLY passing them by because they're....well....dinosaurs. The way to save internal combustion engines, for a little while at least, is to make them cleaner, not dirtier. The 50s are not coming back.
You are correct, the 50's are gone. I never preferred much of their styles in fashion and cars. Maybe a couple of cars, and thats it.
Now, more to the point, the usual saying is that the "Era of the Muscle Cars is gone", and "Ralph Nader killed it". The truth is that the Era of the muscle cars is now. Look at the Horse Power numbers on these cars, look at the 0-60, 1/4 mile times, and top speeds. All this fun, better gas mileage, cleaner engines, and a hell of a lot better reliability. We now live in the true era of the muscle cars. Although personally, I prefer the late 60's, and early 70's muscle car styles.
Sponsored