First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Sahara JLU
Occupation
retired
Preparing for a trip with hopefully my new Sarge Green JLUR to Co (Quray), and UT(Mohab,Bryce). To do the trails out that way do I need to purchase any type of permits or entry passes to ride the trails. I don't want to make it there and find out I can't take the trails if all available permits are sold out.
Sponsored

Shamwedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S | 2 Door | 6 Speed | Hydro
Preparing for a trip with hopefully my new Sarge Green JLUR to Co (Quray), and UT(Mohab,Bryce). To do the trails out that way do I need to purchase any type of permits or entry passes to ride the trails. I don't want to make it there and find out I can't take the trails if all available permits are sold out.
I know https://www.trailsoffroad.com/ will call out if there is a permit required for a particular trail.

Also, https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/dayusepermits.htm, which is where you get the permit, tells you which trails you'll need a permit for.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I don’t believe that any of the trails around ouray, CO require a permit..... despite being ”trails”, many are actually “county roads” that are open like any other county road in any part of the country.

I am similarly unaware that any in Moab require a permit (but finns and things requires an entrance fee).

elephant hill in CanyonLands (needles) DOES require entry AND a day permit as does the long trail (I’m forgetting the name — “white rim trail??”) inside CanyonLands (island in the sky).

if you post a list of the trails you are considering, I’m sure that the folks on this board will give you sage info.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Might add that Elephant Hill only allows...... I think 25 vehicles a day on the trail.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
We spend a ton of time around Lake City/Gunnison/and over to that area chasing fish. I have never seen anything in that part of colorado that requires a pass.

Now, I have seen plenty of 2wd and cars with zero clearance on stuff like Cinnamon Pass-ppl look at em funny.

Here in Texas we has an OHV/4x4 pass that is yearly in addition to state parks entry fees (even if your a yearly pass). It's about 20 bucks and is used to maintain certain parks (Cap Rock, etc)

While in Gunnison check out the Power Stop for burgers and beer.

OP
OP

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I read yesterday that you have to have an OHV permit to run trails in UT. Does this sound accurate.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
When you heading out? Wife and I are heading out to Ouray, Sliverton, Durango area around July 11 for some 4x4 trails and camping. We have been there before but not with a Jeep...super excited.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I read yesterday that you have to have an OHV permit to run trails in UT. Does this sound accurate.
No, it doesn’t.

When I was in Moab last fall, the Moab City council was thinking about passing some kind of restrictions on things like razors. I don’t know the status there. But it did not apply to street legal vehicles like Jeeps. Perhaps something has changed but I am unaware that Utah or Moab require permits for their trails. Obviously, places like CanyonLands NP do and maybe Bryce (you mentioned that).... but the dozens of trails around the Moab area don’t...... at least last fall.

link to what you read yesterday?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
OP
OP

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
When you heading out? Wife and I are heading out to Ouray, Sliverton, Durango area around July 11 for some 4x4 trails and camping. We have been there before but not with a Jeep...super excited.
Plan now is to be in the area mid June. Hope most of the snow is gone!!!!

OP
OP

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
No, it doesn’t.

When I was in Moab last fall, the Moab City council was thinking about passing some kind of restrictions on things like razors. I don’t know the status there. But it did not apply to street legal vehicles like Jeeps. Perhaps something has changed but I am unaware that Utah or Moab require permits for their trails. Obviously, places like CanyonLands NP do and maybe Bryce (you mentioned that).... but the dozens of trails around the Moab area don’t...... at least last fall.

link to what you read yesterday?
Can't find the link I saw, but did find another link this AM to confirm what all are saying.....NO Permits required in general if street legal.

https://www.discovermoab.com/utah-ohv-permits/

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored