Sponsored

Bestop Sunrider Review

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
I already posted a couple of shots in the what did you do today thread but in case a few do not look there I will post here too.

First this is a quality made product, I bought the twill version. The install is pretty simple. I put it all together on my deck first then installed in one piece. I think this makes the Z clip install easier than putting the side rails on the Jeep first. I did the install by myself so 2 people are not needed but a little easier depending on ones ability.

My wife and I had the top open for hours yesterday and what a pleasure to use. Once open the unit does not move around at all, they do provide tie down straps which we did not use. I is so simple to open and close from either seat.

As far as sound when closed we actually think it is quieter then the freedom panels, it has a nicer sound actually. The fastest was about 60/65 MPH during the nice weather. Today I was at 70 MPH in the rain. I feel the rain is softened also vs the hard top.

As for when opened the wind coming in feels better (smoother hitting you vs just the freedom panels off). My wife said it does do hit her hair as aggressively as just the freedom panels.

I did the rain test today and happy to report absolutely no leaks. I drove on the highway up to 70MPH and was sitting in the parking lot while my wife was shopping with a flash light looking at all the seams. All seems great at this point. It was a heavy rain too with some cross wind. Sitting in the driveway now with no issues parked either.

A huge thumbs up here :rock:

Freedom panels off so I can clean all the seals

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review IMG_1274

All bolted on

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review IMG_1276

Side view being opened

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review IMG_1277

Inside opened view

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review IMG_1278

Top down view

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review IMG_1279

Finished look with hardtop

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review IMG_1286
Sponsored

OP
OP
RobAmy

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RobAmy

The latest version of Bestop's install instructions for the SR, tell you to assemble BEFORE you place it onto the JL/JT.

For a guy or gal to put the assembled SR up there is not to big a deal.

SR weighs 35# but is a tad awkward.

I find what works best is to lay a shipping pad on the rear part of the hardtop and then lift the SR up and lay the SR on the pad. Now, you can maneuver the SR into position pad slides easily) without lifting more or scratching anything.

IF you don't like the fruggly, Bestop logos, pry them off now, before they age and stick on more firmly.

Do treat with 303 Fabric guard at least bi yearly after cleaning with 303 cleaner, rinsing well and letting it dry out completely. . Per 303, 303 Fabric Guard isnot mean't to help from fading but to keep it waterproof, help resist stains..

I have run a SR on my JL for 30,000+ miles and a couple of years. NEVER any leaks. Yes, over 65 mph, cabin noise is slightly more the with Freedom Panels but well worth the trade off.

OP
OP
RobAmy

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RobAmy

The latest version of Bestop's install instructions for the SR, tell you to assemble BEFORE you place it onto the JL/JT.

For a guy or gal to put the assembled SR up there is not to big a deal.

SR weighs 35# but is a tad awkward.

I find what works best is to lay a shipping pad on the rear part of the hardtop and then lift the SR up and lay the SR on the pad. Now, you can maneuver the SR into position without lifting more or scratching anything.

IF you don't like the fruggly, Bestop logos, pry them off now, before they age and stick on more firmly.

Do treat with 303 Fabric guard at least bi yearly after cleaning with 303 cleaner, rinsing well and letting it dry out completely. . Per 303, not mean't to help from fading but to keep it waterproof, help resist stains..

I have run a SR on my JL for 30,000+ miles and a couple of years. NEVER any leaks. Yes, over 65 mph, cabin noise is slightly more the with Freedom Panels but well worth the trade off.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that about the Logos. I took them off already also the interior warning label. So the 303 is for waterproofing. I see they make a Marine version too, is that better? or same product just marketing?

Pictures show the little logos but I took them off after install.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RobAmy

Not sure if you have seen me say this before, but IF, the latches seem to lock down unevenly let say, either now or in the future, you can do a tad bit of adjusting at the latches that will usually remedy the issue..

See pic... just remove the felt circles and loosen the bold under each piece of felt a little bit... again a little bit and move the latch and then re-tighten. Will take you a couple of tries to get the feel of it, so to speak.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review adjust latch

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RobAmy

I reached out to the company that sells 303, awhile back and they said there is no difference between 303 Fabric Guard and 303 Fabric Guard Marine.

Buy the smaller 16 fl.oz. size as that will be enough to do 3 coats... (let each coat dry, then apply another coat)

YES, even though your SR, is brand new, do treat with 303 Fabric Guard, ASAP. Best price I have found is at Amazon.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Ha Ha already use some for the fenders so I am on board for the fabric. Thanks for the tip. Is this so it does not fade or for keep it clean or both.
both :) those two indications: no more and no less are what I believe Formula 303 Fabric addresses--on other words I don't know about water-proof/resistant indications.

I can say that the Sunrider itself comes and remains watertight and that I might not experiment with other versions of Formula 303 when forum consensus is that the Fabric version is best here.

I own and use my Sunrider and am very happy with it and the protection that Formula 303 Fabric provides to it. To my mind, Formula 303 Fabric for the Sunrider is like Teflon for pots.

Guelerct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
The Sunrider is a great accessory. It is awesome to go convertible at a stop light. I have no problems on the highway top up or down. The only time I have felt even the slightest mist of water is going through a car wash.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geeeez, @Bestop Sunrider hints just keep popping into my mind..

Hint: SAVE the yellow plastic bag that the un-assembled SR comes in... The assembled SR actually fits in it.... so you would have a bag at hand when/if you pull the assembled SR off your JL/JT.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I already posted a couple of shots in the what did you do today thread but in case a few do not look there I will post here too.

First this is a quality made product, I bought the twill version. The install is pretty simple. I put it all together on my deck first then installed in one piece. I think this makes the Z clip install easier than putting the side rails on the Jeep first. I did the install by myself so 2 people are not needed but a little easier depending on ones ability.

My wife and I had the top open for hours yesterday and what a pleasure to use. Once open the unit does not move around at all, they do provide tie down straps which we did not use. I is so simple to open and close from either seat.

As far as sound when closed we actually think it is quieter then the freedom panels, it has a nicer sound actually. The fastest was about 60/65 MPH during the nice weather. Today I was at 70 MPH in the rain. I feel the rain is softened also vs the hard top.

As for when opened the wind coming in feels better (smoother hitting you vs just the freedom panels off). My wife said it does do hit her hair as aggressively as just the freedom panels.

I did the rain test today and happy to report absolutely no leaks. I drove on the highway up to 70MPH and was sitting in the parking lot while my wife was shopping with a flash light looking at all the seams. All seems great at this point. It was a heavy rain too with some cross wind. Sitting in the driveway now with no issues parked either.

A huge thumbs up here :rock:

Freedom panels off so I can clean all the seals

All bolted on

Side view being opened

Inside opened view

Top down view

Finished look with hardtop

nice writeup. I just my tracking number and mine will be here wednesday.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Great review and looks great...l have a SpiderWebShade JLKini and apparently it works with that but will confirm with Bestop as you suggested thanks for the info.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Nice review and pics. I purchased the twill sunrider last spring, assembled it first and then put it on as a unit. I used it all last summer then swapped it out for the hard panels for the winter. I'll be putting it back on shortly. Great product all around.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bestop offers a 10% Military Discount for those that will be buying a @Bestop Sunrider..

Bestop is extremely proud to offer a special discount for active United States Military, Reservists and Veterans.

Save 10% with your Military ID at time of purchase. Eligibility verified by Active Military ID or DD Form 214.

To order please call the Bestop Customer Service Department at 1-800-845-3567.

We look forward to talking with you and we thank you for your service.
Sponsored