Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
how many miles on your rig?

FWIW, I had an air bubble like you describe and went over it again later. No worries.
Odometer reads 9,750.

I have almost 6,000 additional towed miles on it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Got mine all back together. The lockers are much faster now than ever before. Amazing difference.

The rear locker always gave me a bit of hassle. When removing the sensor, I noticed a lot of metal debris gathered around the magnet that the sensor sits over. I cleaned this out really well. This might be another maintenance item that needs to be done.

Next week I am getting re-geared to 4.88's so I will be doing a lot of fluid swaps in the next few months. I don't expect that to be long enough for metal debris, so I probably won't drop the rear diff for another 10k miles.

Is there any reason that I should mention the red-loctite on the sensor to the tech doing the gears? The factory ones felt pretty loose.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Next week I am getting re-geared to 4.88's so I will be doing a lot of fluid swaps in the next few months. I don't expect that to be long enough for metal debris, so I probably won't drop the rear diff for another 10k miles.
I have sampled the oil in my rear axle every 5K miles since new and changed it at 5K, 20K, and 26K (when I potted my sensors). They produce more iron than any axle I have ever owned. You will want to check the metal on the drain plug fairly frequently. I am re-gearing mine as well in the next few weeks and I have a good baseline to compare the new gears against.

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 WJ, 18 Challenger, 02&04 WRX, 73 FJ40
What I learned so far...

first off thank you to chevymitchell for posting this and all the member for their reassurance that everything will work

Issues I have with the jeep is a wondering steering and I had the screen replaced because navigation was telling me I was in Arizona while driving around Southern California and did not have issues with the lockers.
I potted my locker sensors at about 31k miles. front sensor was dry and back sensor was over half full. I broke the ā€œLā€œ support arm (tab) on the rear while taking it out and broke the skinny tab on the front while reinstalling. What I learned is the tabs are their to help align and as a stop when removing and installing.
I had to add more potting compound to the rear sensor cause I had air pocket. Waited 24 hours to install after last potting. Installed everything and torque to specs following dana specs. I use red loctite. Also put die electric grease on the female side of the connectors. Refilled diff with valvoline 75w-140 both front and rear.
i finished all this at 230am march 16 and had to work at 8.....a 50 minute drive approximately 45 miles.

now the results:

rear locker dash light started flashing immediately after starting it. Also the rear locker light by the switch was flashing....lots of f-bombs on my way to work. Tried flipping switch to see if it will do anything...nothing changed. So I was already running late and kept driving. I started to come up with a plan as to how I was going to explain to her how I fā€™d up her jeep. I was considering taking it to the dealership since I was still in the warranty period. I was sh*tting my pants, nothing wrong with the jeep and now the locker lights are flashing. About 20 miles in, the light turned off. Wtf is going on. Got to work and at lunchtime I decided to go for a test drive. Upon starting the car, the rear locker lights started flashing but stopped after less than a minute. Drove it for about 15 miles and lights stayed off. On my way back to work, I tested both locker , drove it for about 1/4 mile. no issues and no flashing locker lights since.

I think I might have put a bit much of the die electric grease causing the light to come on but I put about same amount to the front....so not really sure.

all is good now and planning on doing some light wheeling this weekend at death valley. hopefully all will stay good!

again THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I am following this with interest, but am too chicken to try it. My warranty has 182 miles left on it. šŸ˜„

I wonder if any shops in my area would tackle this...

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 WJ, 18 Challenger, 02&04 WRX, 73 FJ40
I am following this with interest, but am too chicken to try it. My warranty has 182 miles left on it. šŸ˜„

Don't wait!!!!

I have 3k since potting and currently doing some light wheeling at death valley.....so far so good

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Don't wait!!!!

I have 3k since potting and currently doing some light wheeling at death valley.....so far so good
I'm going to put 5k on mine then drain out all the metal fillings too. Brand new Feb build so I can let folks know if the issue has been fixed at the factory. If not, I'm issuing an 8-D to Stellantis.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm going to put 5k on mine then drain out all the metal fillings too. Brand new Feb build so I can let folks know if the issue has been fixed at the factory. If not, I'm issuing an 8-D to Stellantis.
I'm not sure you'll be able to tell if the issue has been fixed or not. I know supposedly there is a new version of the sensor, but not sure if it is any different cosmetically.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure you'll be able to tell if the issue has been fixed or not. I know supposedly there is a new version of the sensor, but not sure if it is any different cosmetically.
I would think the easiest fix would be for the supplier to pot them in production.

Sponsored

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
I was wondering if the sensor had been upgraded or not, but hadnā€™t heard anything definitive. I hope you are correct because my sensor is trashed. One cool bit is that it will allow me to lock it in 2wd. Unfortunately when I unlock it the locker light just blinks as long as the Jeep is on. Only have 6500 miles on the Jeep, too. I donā€™t want to get another faulty sensor thatā€™s gonna fail in time also.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

I am also too chicken to try it on my 4000mile 2021MY. I live in an apartment complex so the idea of having my diffs open for 24 hours in the garage is just a no-go for me.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Years ago I had a website for recalls and TSBs for vehicles. I would hazard a guess that FCA has at least tagged this issue with a TSB. Hopefully, that is tied to a series if VIN numbers. If not, then the problem has NOT been resolved and they're still cranking out bad axles. Anyone able to find that TSB website? My bookmark is no longer valid.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I am also too chicken to try it on my 4000mile 2021MY. I live in an apartment complex so the idea of having my diffs open for 24 hours in the garage is just a no-go for me.
that like being seen with your pants down or something?
Sponsored