Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
The EPA. Gas AND Electric mode gets 49MPGe. That means driving it consuming both modes will yield you the equivalent of 49mpgs. There is a difference between running HYBRID mode full time, and running EV mode and then GAS mode. Leave it in Hybrid mode, get FAR better economy than any other wrangler to date.

2021 Jeep Wrangler 4dr 4xe (fueleconomy.gov)

epa.jpg
That is not what MPGe means
Sponsored

somonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 nissan pickup, 2003 s2000, 2012 x6, 2013 fit
  • Motor generator unit (134 horsepower / 181 pound-foot) integrated into eight-speed automatic transmission.
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, long time lurker but new to posting.

Does 20 "all electric" miles mead driving a wrangler with 134 horses and 181 pound-feet?
That would make the gas-fuel efficiency much less appealing to me.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe

Does 20 "all electric" miles mead driving a wrangler with 134 horses and 181 pound-feet?
As I understand it yes and no. Yes the electric only would be 134 hp and 181 ft pounds of torque but if you step on the gas really hard the gas motor would start.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500

Yes, but the power is instant with electric, no building up rpm to reach the max power, which should be more than enough for a daily commute through town. If you want to win a drag race at the stop light you would want to switch to hybrid mode. The stop and go driving around town is where you are going to benefit the most from the 4xe. If you have a long highway commute or are trying to pull a trailer there are probably better options.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Can somebody please help me understand here = show me where this math is wrong:
370 total mile range (per EPA) / 17.5 gallon tank = 21mpg. That includes the distance you can go in EV only mode.
So how are people thinking they are going to get better mileage vs. the diesel 'within 100 mile range' or so? I get better than that in my diesel Wrangler on a bad day -

Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Can somebody please help me understand here = show me where this math is wrong:
370 total mile range (per EPA) / 17.5 gallon tank = 21mpg. That includes the distance you can go in EV only mode.
So how are people thinking they are going to get better mileage vs. the diesel 'within 100 mile range' or so? I get better than that in my diesel Wrangler on a bad day -
I think two things explain it
1. People think 49 MPGe = MPG
2. It will get better fuel consumption if you are doing a short commute and charging every night.

If you are trying to drive 100 miles a day or more without charging the diesel is going to pull ahead

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Ok I get it now = here is my version of the math:

370 total possible mile range driven
22mi EV + 348mi using 17.2 gal. 370/17.2 = 21.5mpg

1/2 range driven
22mi EV + 348/2=174mi using 17.2/2=8.6 gal 174+22=196miles driven/8.6=22.79mpg

1/4 range driven
22mi EV + 174/2=87mi using 8.6/2=4.3 gal 87+22=109miles driven/4.3=25.35mpg

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
This vehicle, imo, isn't intended for those who drive long distance regularly. The diesel is best for distance driving. I don't drive far enough for the diesel, so don't want the diesel maintenance that will occur due to short mileage. I can drive most of my drives in electric only. Diesel long distance, hemi for sound and grin, 4Xe for shorter distance more often or torque/hp at a lesser cost.

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
This vehicle, imo, isn't intended for those who drive long distance regularly. The diesel is best for distance driving. I don't drive far enough for the diesel, so don't want the diesel maintenance that will occur due to short mileage. I can drive most of my drives in electric only. Diesel long distance, hemi for sound and grin, 4Xe for shorter distance more often or torque/hp at a lesser cost.
Agree. If solely driving very long distance the diesel should get better gas mileage. However for a mix of short and long distance, which many people do, the 4xe should be more efficient, save the occasional road trip. Let’s not forget the 4xe has +115 HP and +28 lb-ft torque on the ecodiesel. It has +90HP and +210 lb-ft torque on the V6. 4xe is the most powerful Wrangler besides the 392

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Best range and mileage will not be on driving electric only for the first 21 miles, then only gas after. The car only drives in electric only mode for the first 21 miles if you set it to. But regardless, for long range driving the diesel will get better mileage.

Jonnie4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
That is not what MPGe means
Agreed. As per the EPA testing, 49 MPGe is only applicable to the first 22 miles of driving which is 1 mile beyond the 21 mile electric range. Every mile driven after that, the MPGe would go down and would go down pretty fast at first before sort of leveling out. I still expect that we will get over 25 MPGe for a 100 mile trip, but the key is not ignoring the first 21 miles of all electric range. I am very curious which would produce better efficiency over a 50 to 80 mile trip - all electric driving and then switch to hybrid mode after about 20 miles or just stay in hybrid mode the whole time? Thoughts?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Can it still go 400 miles in one tank?
If you mean by driving 400 miles non stop on the highway, I think you would struggle to achieve that given the EPA numbers. If you mean over multiple trips where the battery can be charged in between, you could easily go 400 miles between trips to the gas station.
Sponsored