Sponsored

Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding?

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2019
My soft top comes down whenever there's an opportunity; something that's becoming less frequent as the Southern hemisphere enters the colder months. I've found, particularly today, as i was hooning down the coast, that i didn't care if i was 10-20km/h below the speed limit, let alone on par - the sun was out, the wind was kind, and there was an overtaking lane all the way (so i weren't a complete selfish nob).
Put me in non-convertible vehicle, a bland, and my acceleration foot becomes a little heavy.
I've found this to be true in more built-up areas - i don't care if there's a jam at a notorious intersection ...

Just curious what others have experienced.
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I find that this happens no matter the configuration. I tend to just....enjoy the drive. The Jeep is a no worries machine. Traffic. Red light. Rain with the top off. Skunk. meh. All just.....part of the experience. This is how you feel more "connected" with the world in a Jeep.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I dunno...when I'm riding my motorcycle I've found just the opposite to be true. :)
I agree both.

Top down or off = Low n slow. On 2 wheels = drop a gear and dis appear

OP
OP
Geez

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dunno...when I'm riding my motorcycle I've found just the opposite to be true. :)
I must admit, i've wondered what its like to ride 2 wheels, with plenty of chrome, whitewall tyres, and a roar that'll wake the dead

Sponsored

OP
OP
Geez

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find that this happens no matter the configuration. I tend to just....enjoy the drive. The Jeep is a no worries machine. Traffic. Red light. Rain with the top off. Skunk. meh. All just.....part of the experience. This is how you feel more "connected" with the world in a Jeep.
I'm hearing you there!
This may be my first Jeep but i love it more every time i drive out the garage :involve:

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I must admit, i've wondered what its like to ride 2 wheels, with plenty of chrome, whitewall tyres, and a roar that'll wake the dead
Well, your percieved perception is not what the media makes it out to be. But there are thoes out there, while I'm not one of them. (white jeep photo bombed my cruiser)
Jeep Wrangler JL Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding? 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding? 2

OP
OP
Geez

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, your percieved perception is not what the media makes it out to be. But there are thoes out there, while I'm not one of them. (white jeep photo bombed my cruiser)
1.jpg

2.jpg
Damn! I rest my case
Jeep Wrangler JL Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding? 2

Those fine examples look like they'd also fit the brief :)

CWOFOR

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Avalanche/2022 Harley Freewheeler
Occupation
Retired Marine CWO-4
Ain't nothing wrong taking time to smell the roses, so to speak. Whether I'm on 2 wheels or a top down 4 wheel ride, IMO, a nice slow ride is good therapy. I recommend it to all my friends. Life is to short to be stressed out all the time; especially self imposed stress. I enjoy my top/doors off rides the most, but the quick top downs are great too. Thank God my topless season is about to begin (winter sucks).

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
There's nothing else like it in the world.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With my butt 4 inches off the ground, I can really feel the speed in my Fiat Spider; I catch myself having fun at 20 MPH as much as at 80 MPH. Since I don’t have to go very fast to have fun in the car, I’ve cut down significantly the number of times I get pulled over for speeding, relative to other sports cars I owned in the past.

By contrast, my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack with 500 HP, felt like I was in any other car unless I was significantly exceeding the speed limit.

So, I think it is less about the top being on or off; it is what the car makes you feel. Like my Spider, Jeeps feel fun without the need to speed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding? CCF75A36-FE56-4D52-BC73-01AD54B42A3D

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
not really related, but sort of:
there's a car dealership in the area with a big video billboard...also happens to be a somewhat known speed trap area.
while driving past yesterday, I noticed one of the messages:
"all those who don't like speeding tickets, raise your right foot"

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I find the opposite effect happened to me. Ive gone through everything. Muscle car, jacked up truck, sports car, etc. And ive never been as big of an asshole driver on the roads as i am with my jeep. But maybe that is more to do with complacency.

i cant drive slow anymore. I can feel my blood boil when im stuck behind someonr doing the speed limit. Lord help me

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
It ultimately depends on the song......🎼🎸😎

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I find the opposite effect happened to me. Ive gone through everything. Muscle car, jacked up truck, sports car, etc. And ive never been as big of an asshole driver on the roads as i am with my jeep. But maybe that is more to do with complacency.

i cant drive slow anymore. I can feel my blood boil when im stuck behind someonr doing the speed limit. Lord help me
Maybe decaf....or a joint? 🗽🙄
Sponsored