Order 4xe now or get one from Dealer?

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
And that's another thing to consider since I'll be trading in the Titan. Don't necessarily need to but if I can find a good enough deal from a dealer then it's worth it instead of trying to sell privately.
Just sold my RDX last week to Shift for 32k carvana offered 29k and Carmax 27.5. They are selling my RDX for 34 seems like they have ultra low margins and make money from loans and service fee. I had the money in my account by the 3rd day.
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Just sold my RDX last week to Shift for 32k carvana offered 29k and Carmax 27.5. They are selling my RDX for 34 seems like they have ultra low margins and make money from loans and service fee. I had the money in my account by the 3rd day.
Shift wouldn't accept mine for some reason.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Something to consider, Autonation and Truecar Instant cash offer give way more than carmax or a dealer trade-in. You can check it on their sites and answer the questions honestly and boom guaranteed price.
Sliding a bit sideways on the topic, but it is relevant to someone trading in. Carvana offered a few dollars more than KBB high trade-in value on my Ford truck. An appointment scheduled for Tuesday morning will tell if they are true to their word.

Back on topic now. We are considering our purchase strategy: 5% below invoice now or wait to order a 2022 at possibly 7-8% below this summer. If the rollout goes much like the diesel, by July or August there will be a flood of 4xe (2021 and 2022 MYs) on dealer lots to choose from.

Sponsored

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
Sliding a bit sideways on the topic, but it is relevant to someone trading in. Carvana offered a few dollars more than KBB high trade-in value on my Ford truck. An appointment scheduled for Tuesday morning will tell if they are true to their word.

Back on topic now. We are considering our purchase strategy: 5% below invoice now or wait to order a 2022 at possibly 7-8% below this summer. If the rollout goes much like the diesel, by July or August there will be a flood of 4xe (2021 and 2022 MYs) on dealer lots to choose from.
Carvana gave me a pretty good offer on my 2020 Gladiator Rubicon and I took that offer to my local dealerships and got a higher offer because they are dying to have cars and auction prices are too high right now. The point is, shop your trade in around and know what you can get and get the best offer. Especially when you have the offer in writing so you can prove that you have a solid offer and are willing to take it. Also, if you can get 8% below invoice then I would wait, assuming there are no crazy dealer or processing fees that negate like 2% of the 8% discount.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Hello everyone, I'm going to be joining the Jeep fam with the 4xe. Have a Titan that's lived it's life and have been researching a Rubicon for while, and the 4xe has made me jump over to this side.

Question- I see many people are going to the Jeep site, building out the 4xe and taking that to various dealerships for the best price. My question is that really the best way to go about this? I'm always concerned ordering anything direct from factory as there are always delays and such. Also, waiting allows me to learn about all the extra discounts (Tread lightly, CA clean fuel reward, etc). Plus if I order right now they would have to build it to my specifications so maybe it takes 3 months to get it, rather than one already at the dealer shortly. So I've been thinking maybe wait until they arrive at Dealers (within 30 days from now?) and then have the Dealer just add on the things I want (Skytouch, painted fenders, etc.). Obviously it wouldn't be installed by the folks at the Ohio plant right off the assembly, but I figure the Dealers know how to do it and if they mess up I would go back to them to fix.

So considering all the scenarios, is it better to build online and negotiate with a dealer now, or just wait until one that is close enough to your style arrives at a dealer and add in options at Dealer?

Do not listen to all that say only order. I called every dealer in 3 states to see what they had coming in the next 3-4 weeks, all were more than willing to sell me one of them and I had no problem finding one optioned and color that I wanted. As for pricing I ended up with $3600 off a MSRP of $61K then I traded a JL I purchased just 9 months ago and they gave me $3K more than I pad for it, so basically $6500 off which was a little over 10%. It is in the inspection stage so should be delivered in about 4 weeks.

Here is what I learned most dealers have 5-10 on order however will only received 1-3 4xe before summer. I fond just about every option combo and color available so finding what I wanted was easy. However some dealers wanted $5000-$7000 premium (extra Dealer Profit) when i told them Eff-Off they caved every time. Dealers are now starting to get calls to pre purchase incoming stock so if you go that route do it now, they will not last once they hit the lot. There is no advantage to ordering really, unless you want a odd config.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It is important to understand the car buying times we are in and it is not going to get better anytime soon.

There are two types of dealers those that do not need the volume and are working high profit deals only and those that want the volume that drive good used car inventory (which is where the real money is). Does not seem to be much in between right now with such serious inventory shortages.

With the Chip and Parts shortages, that is not going to be resolved in months especially with the current relations with China. Every motor vehicle from e-bikes to Class A RV's are feeling the imported parts pinch. Keep in mind if you have a trade waiting till more new inventory is available you will find trade values decline as well. So the waiting theory is challenging to say the least. Just looks that the lots today there is no 3.6, 2.0 or Diesel inventory either.

To think waiting is going to get you more than 6% below is a fools game, take the 5-6% now with the extra trade value and run with it. For all we know this summer inventory may shrink even more. Many manufactures are pausing production since they have no parts.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealership is over 30 wranglers down and 60 cars down in their used inventory. He said I'll have no problem getting a great deal on my 2020 wrangler and still get my normally good deal on my ordered wrangler. I'm not sure what he is doing deal wise with the few he has in stock. It is really weird going there and seeing a little over half a row of wranglers when there is usually around four rows of them.

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
It is important to understand the car buying times we are in and it is not going to get better anytime soon.

There are two types of dealers those that do not need the volume and are working high profit deals only and those that want the volume that drive good used car inventory (which is where the real money is). Does not seem to be much in between right now with such serious inventory shortages.

With the Chip and Parts shortages, that is not going to be resolved in months especially with the current relations with China. Every motor vehicle from e-bikes to Class A RV's are feeling the imported parts pinch. Keep in mind if you have a trade waiting till more new inventory is available you will find trade values decline as well. So the waiting theory is challenging to say the least. Just looks that the lots today there is no 3.6, 2.0 or Diesel inventory either.

To think waiting is going to get you more than 6% below is a fools game, take the 5-6% now with the extra trade value and run with it. For all we know this summer inventory may shrink even more. Many manufactures are pausing production since they have no parts.
Not exactly a fools game. See this thread, page 12 starting with post #171. You will see folks getting 7% under plus a $500 dollar dealer fee. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-much-below-msrp-for-4xe.63965/

And back to a side note: Ended up selling the truck to Carmax for $500 above the Carvana offer. Carmax bought it outright and cut a check for the full price. Carvana on the other hand showed up with a flatbed, a check in the full amount and a stack of paperwork, they require two power of attorney signatures and two application for lost title signatures. In my world that is flat out bonkers so sent them away. Carmax did require me to bring the vehicle to them, a one hour drive.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Not exactly a fools game. See this thread, page 12 starting with post #171. You will see folks getting 7% under plus a $500 dollar dealer fee. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-much-below-msrp-for-4xe.63965/

And back to a side note: Ended up selling the truck to Carmax for $500 above the Carvana offer. Carmax bought it outright and cut a check for the full price. Carvana on the other hand showed up with a flatbed, a check in the full amount and a stack of paperwork, they require two power of attorney signatures and two application for lost title signatures. In my world that is flat out bonkers so sent them away. Carmax did require me to bring the vehicle to them, a one hour drive.

Generally speaking things do not get cheaper over time, 5-6% B/I is the gold standard for Wrangler discounts and has been for years, there are always exception my 2018 Sahara was 14% below MSRP however that was a loser for the dealer even after hold backs, that manager was fired for that (they used advertising $$$ to buy down retail as a loss leader and I bought that loss leader). Point is 7% below with a "$500" dealer fee makes that a 5% deal. The bigger issue is CHIPS, during covid the demand has been so high for them in the computer, phone and consumer electronics industry the manufactures have pulled back on CHIPS for the automotive industry as there is more profit for the chip manufacture to sell to the consumer electronics industry vs the automotive. That is not going to change anytime soon and for chips and everything electronic is going to increase in cost due to demand and lack of production.

With that said the Wrangler you buy today for 6% off for say $60K will likely be the same Wrangler you get for $63K in a year also with 6% off. Waiting rarely pays off in this game.

Perfect example I bought a 2108 JL sport for my son last July for 27K from a Jeep dealer, Vroom offered $31K and Carmax $30K to buy it. I ended up trading it for my new 4xe for $30K and giving my Sahara to my son. Vroom also offered me $39K for my 2018 Sahara I paid $37K for 2.5 years ago.

Wrangler simply defy typical auto resale logic and values.......

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
Having this "order vs. dealer" debate - had been planning to order at a price of about 5.5% below invoice at the well-known DC-area dealers, but my exact build is on its way to a dealer about an hour from me who will give me 1% below invoice affiliate pricing. I'm not in a rush for a new vehicle, but tempting to be able to save a couple months wait, especially when it seems this semi-conductor shortage may cause additional delays and/or price increases. Any thoughts?

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
Having this "order vs. dealer" debate - had been planning to order at a price of about 5.5% below invoice at the well-known DC-area dealers, but my exact build is on its way to a dealer about an hour from me who will give me 1% below invoice affiliate pricing. I'm not in a rush for a new vehicle, but tempting to be able to save a couple months wait, especially when it seems this semi-conductor shortage may cause additional delays and/or price increases. Any thoughts?
Ordered 3/24 and have dealer ETA 4/16-4/30 so looking pretty reasonable on orders. It seems the ship hold caused wide variance on earlier order but they are cranking them out now!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ordered 3/24 and have dealer ETA 4/16-4/30 so looking pretty reasonable on orders. It seems the ship hold caused wide variance on earlier order but they are cranking them out now!
it has been reported that new custom orders are about (if not already) will be having significant delays as they are running out of dome option components cue to the chip shortage. I would order today when this slowdown hits if it has not already will run into 2022. Better yet purchase dealer stock that is what I did and am at 10% below MSRP
Sponsored