zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
So @JLUin818 and I are going to attempt to change my stock sport S gears to 4.88s.

If anyone that has experience wants to drop by when we have everything taken apart to help with the gear assembly that would be great.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you check out @chevymitchell ’s threads on swapping gears. May help it make it a little smoother.
Thanks for the heads up. I have been reading it over and over lol. Task seems daunting but I want to try it out and see what happens.

He is a great guy and has been answering a few of my questions as well. His thread is great.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I won't be able to join you, but please take pictures and document as much as you can.

Sponsored

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I won't be able to join you, but please take pictures and document as much as you can.
We will try for sure. Maybe @JLUin818 can do the work and ill just be the cameraman lol

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
So @JLUin818 and I are going to attempt to change my stock sport S gears to 4.88s.

If anyone that has experience wants to drop by when we have everything taken apart to help with the gear assembly that would be great.

Or if anyone wants to just join to hang out and try to make it work they are welcome to.

If it works on mine he will be doing his as well probably another weekend.

Probably at his place in Northwest LA area.
I should be available this weekend. Shoot me a call or text if you need something. 336-442-9463.

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
Any update on how the regear install went? I may be making a switch to 5.13s in the near future and am probably going to find a local shop but would be interested in how the garage install went.

On a related note, anyone with a recommendation for a regear shop in Riverside, CA area?

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on how the regear install went? I may be making a switch to 5.13s in the near future and am probably going to find a local shop but would be interested in how the garage install went.

On a related note, anyone with a recommendation for a regear shop in Riverside, CA area?
It went ok. Not as smooth as I had hoped since I had to figure a few things out and didn't have all the tools at first.

Took two weekend to do. If I had to redo it it would probably take a good two days. Jeep is running great with 4.88s. I even put 37s on last weekend and seems to be a good match.

I would consider calling the mobile gear company as the guy was really helpful when I called him and needed him to remove a bearing for me. He was very helpful and he does gears pretty quick.

Mobilegearinstallers

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

one of the main issues was zeebo receiving a used master install kit with missing parts. that threw a monkey wrench into the plans. then a few other little hiccups. he's thinking we should be able to knock mine out in one day (one long, day lol). we have the proper tools now which makes a big difference. if you're at all handy with tools, you can do it. zeebo does not have much wrenching experience and was able to pull it off and the gears work wonderfully now. its intimidating for sure but its really not that big of a deal. he can totally guide you on what tools to buy and some tips/tricks to make things go a little easier. we're also both installing Dana parts instead of the Revolution gears the shops seem to love to use, which i imagine they get a smoking deal on.

Sponsored

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
OK, so I just made an appointment to get regeared to 5.13 with Premier West Gears in Riverside (I live in Riverside so it is really convenient!). Earliest appointment was April 23rd so that will be the magic day.

JEEP JL REGEAR SPECIAL
JEEP JL REGEAR PACKAGE $1,499.00​
FRONT AND REAR REGEAR INCLUDED!​
• Price covers parts and labor​
• Revolution Gear Parts used for this Regear​
• This Regear has a 1 Year Parts Warranty​
• JL gear ratio options 4.88 and 5.13​
• Price also Includes minor install kits & gear oil for both front and rear differentials​
• Complimentary Gear Oil change & retorque after the break in period​
* Details: - Covers only: Dana 30/35/44 axles from 2018+ for Jeep JL’s - This job requires a 500 Mile Break In Period - Tax on parts is not Included.​
CALL NOW! 951-320-1390​

Price was actually $1498.13 total including tax. I need to get a Tazer to reprogram but I was getting one already. They have their own shop so I don't need to find on for the mobile guys.

Oh yeah, I ordered my new 17" rims and 37" KO2s today as well! A very expensive day!!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

OK, so I just made an appointment to get regeared to 5.13 with Premier West Gears in Riverside (I live in Riverside so it is really convenient!). Earliest appointment was April 23rd so that will be the magic day.

JEEP JL REGEAR SPECIAL
• Price also Includes minor install kits & gear oil for both front and rear differentials​
* Details: - Covers only: Dana 30/35/44 axles from 2018+ for Jeep JL’s - This job requires a 500 Mile Break In Period - Tax on parts is not Included.​
CALL NOW! 951-320-1390​

Price was actually $1498.13 total including tax. I need to get a Tazer to reprogram but I was getting one already. They have their own shop so I don't need to find on for the mobile guys.

Oh yeah, I ordered my new 17" rims and 37" KO2s today as well! A very expensive day!!
expensive it is! lol. do you plan to pull a trailer? just curious why you chose 5.13 over 4.88
Zeebo went with 4.88 and with the 37s it feels like the sweet spot. when it was on 35s with the 4.88s it was revving a bit high, which i found annoying myself.

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
expensive it is! lol. do you plan to pull a trailer? just curious why you chose 5.13 over 4.88
Zeebo went with 4.88 and with the 37s it feels like the sweet spot. when it was on 35s with the 4.88s it was revving a bit high, which i found annoying myself.
I have read a few posts here that say 5.13 is the sweet spot for running 37s on the JL with the 8 speed.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...n-a-jl-wrangler-unlimited-rubicon-jlur.44730/

I also might get a trailer to do some camping and road trips with the wife.

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger

JEEP JL REGEAR SPECIAL
CALL NOW! 951-320-1390​

There's a guy named Robert in Anaheim Hills that does gears out of his house on weekends and I paid $900 parts and labor. His garage is full of gear sets and he told me he can do 2 jeep's per day. He's done 2 of mine.
Sponsored