CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
We provide a lot of flexibility with our front-mount GMRS/HAM/CB antenna mount. You can choose to mount it more forward - or closer to the a-pillar and on either side of the Jeep for a total of 4 locations. Absolutely no drilling for any of the locations and the mount will not contact your painted body. If using for a CB, the forward location will offer better utilization of the hood as a ground-plane. For HAM/GMRS frequencies, there is less dependency on the ground plane and the performance difference in the locations is negligible.

In the image below, Gadgettr has chosen the driver's side more forward cowl mount and is using Garmin's 6db 32" Whip antenna.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount Gadgettr1

And in this picture below, Ray has chosen to use the passenger side and is leveraging the position closer to the A-pillar. He is also using the 32" Garmin whip antenna.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount RightSide_Ray

Sorry not to have a picture yet, but we've had several orders recently where Jeep owners are ordering the mount with Garmin's "Ghost" antenna. I think this is a really good look and although it will not have the maximum range of the 6db 32" whip, for trail rides and group functions it will be plenty fine. The cool thing about NMO mounts is that antennas can be swapped on or off in just a few seconds. I can see scenarios where people are using the Ghost antenna for most situations and then swapping on the 32" whip when they need maximum distance.
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
This was less than $30 on Amazon. Placed some neoprene behind it to protect the paint and had to use a spare bolt from the hardtop to get it tight. Once the 6db antenna was mounted, it perfectly matched the AM/FM antenna on the other side - the symmetry pleases my sense of aesthetics. Gets great reception and broadcasts as expected for a 15w unit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089TB6CJJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount 20210208_150533
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount 20210208_150541

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Refer to my Post 61. One pic is using the forward cowl location and the other picture is using the cowl location nearer the a-pillar.

Sponsored

kennjen

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Just over the NJ border in NY, near Nanuet
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU (coming soon)
Refer to my Post 61. One pic is using the forward cowl location and the other picture is using the cowl location nearer the a-pillar.
Oh OK.. I didn't read your post 61 correctly. It indicated 4 postions, so I had assumed that there was two more position forward of what you've shown in the pics.

I now understand that there's two postions on eitherside. Which is what you wrote. my bad.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Yada yada yada very important text deleted

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount 20210208_150541

More content deleted yada yada yada
Does having 2 antennas this close cause any interference or reduction in quality?
Would having 2 mounts (one on each bolt) affect signal quality? Say GMRS and CB both on 1 side using 2 of your mounts. With a snorkel 1 side is not set up to be able to take an antenna, so 2 antennas would have to be on the same side. And I don't want to mount one on the tailgate, got too much going on back there.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount Ham Mount
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount Ham Antenna Mount

Sponsored

kennjen

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Just over the NJ border in NY, near Nanuet
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU (coming soon)
No, having the antenna close together will not impact their performance.
Having a stubby antenna below the GMRS antenna like the blue jeep in the previous post is probably not a big deal. But might be different if that was a full length OEM antenna.

Rb75

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We have been working the past several weeks to come up with an antenna mount for the front of the Jeep Wrangler that we can offer in addition to or as an alternative to our popular tailgate CB and GMRS mounts. The Wrangler/Gladiators have an expansive aluminum hood that serves well as about the only available RF ground plane for the most effective (longest distance) radio transmissions.

As usual for a new product we had numerous constraints and requirements. To list a few;
  • We wanted a solution that could take advantage of the hood as a good ground plane
  • We wanted something that would work for both Wrangler and Gladiator owners
  • An absolute requirement was to insure that our solution would not harm the Jeep's paint - not just during the install, but over the long term.
  • Our mount had to be aesthetically pleasing - the closer to the windshield the better, largely mimicking where OEM antennas are placed.
  • Our highest priority was GMRS antenna mounting - but we also wanted the mount to work with CB antennas up to 3' (taller antennas in this location don't offer a performance benefit.)
  • Mounting simplicity was also very desirable.

This picture below is of an earlier prototype. We were focusing on proof of concept, body conformity alignment, and spacer thickness. Shortly thereafter, we aligned the top plate to horizontal and began out testing phase - with both the Midland 6db GMRS antenna (shown) and a Firestick 3' Firefly CB antenna.

The final mount is elegantly simple. The mount has a "foot" which is solidly in the panel gap. This provides rigid fore/aft stability so there is no inclination for movement even in high wind loads. What isn't seen is that the foot has a centering polyethylene trim with a 95A harness rating but which in nonmarking. This trim insures that the mount is centered in the panel gap and that the mount cannot come into contact with the painted surfaces of either panel.

Our test (Gladiator) also happens to have the comparatively bulky Quadratec mount seen in the foreground. The owner had to take many steps in order to try to protect this mount from damaging the Gladiator paint.

Our mount is currently in manufacturing with first availability approximately 15 days from today. The mount is constructed entirely in stainless steel and achieves a good ground via the provided stainless steel buttonhead fastener (also provided). It can be mounted on either the left side and/or right side of the Jeep.

More soon....

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount Ham Antenna Mount
I'm looking to install a MXT275 on my 2018 JL Rubicon. Have you produced this mount? I don't see it on your website. I currently have a Cobra 75 running to your tailgate mount but am thinking that the hood is a better place to mount this given the size of the MXTA26 antenna (barely clears my roof on the tailgate).

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I'm looking to install a MXT275 on my 2018 JL Rubicon. Have you produced this mount? I don't see it on your website. I currently have a Cobra 75 running to your tailgate mount but am thinking that the hood is a better place to mount this given the size of the MXTA26 antenna (barely clears my roof on the tailgate).
Yeah, we have the front-mount option in stock and ships the same day as ordered. It is available by clinking this link HERE.

We also have an all-in-one package with the mount, antenna, coax, remote mount cable, and the MXT275 radio for a pretty good savings. This all-in-one kit is available HERE.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
" The length of coax needed is relatively short. One of the VERY worst things that you can do to destroy your antenna performance is to coil up excess coax. Be VERY careful about this. If you have the tools/skills to shorten the coax after the install to fit your needs, you must do this, or, alternatively buy coax that is already shorter." It is my understanding that 19 feet of coax is good for improved performance; could I simply route the excess cable along the door sill to the back then back to the radio mounted under the passenger side seat? This would leave the coax uncoiled but at its original length.

If Coax is shielded how would coiling it affect anything?
Long as you don't coil it so tight that it kinks the shielding that is.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
FiveBoro - I think you are mostly right.

Coiling a wire does create a inductor. HOWEVER; the current flowing INSIDE the coaxial cable are unaffected by the inductance outside the cable. Only currents flowing on the outside of the shield (caused by impedance mismatches) will see this inductance.

Assuming the antenna is properly matched to the radio, it shouldn't have a bad impact. In the days before coax, coiling was really a no-no but with modern coax (and well-matched antennas), I believe there is a lot less risk in doing this.
Sponsored