Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You traded in your 2018?
Nope. I have a 2018 JLUR and picking up my 2021 JL Willys today. The 2-door is an extra Jeep for the family - mainly for my wife/kids to drive.
Sponsored

Davesnhere

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 6 speed manual...
@JeepCares
We know that ‘21s have a gear position sensor and that the update makes gear show on the EVIC. It’ll be interesting to see if the rest of us get that. My guess is no... not that I want it, but it makes me think the algorithm will not be the same if there is no such sensor on our model years.
I had the recall done on my Rubi a few weeks ago, and can confirm that the gear now shows up on the EVIC....

Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! 20210312_095921

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I had the recall done on my Rubi a few weeks ago, and can confirm that the gear now shows up on the EVIC....

What year? Recall is not yet available for me (2018).

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Nope. I have a 2018 JLUR and picking up my 2021 JL Willys today. The 2-door is an extra Jeep for the family - mainly for my wife/kids to drive.
Very nice! Congrats.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Well, I guess I'm officially a member of the clutch gang now. The dealership where I bought my new baby had 78 used and new Wranglers in stock, and they had exactly one with a manual. It happened to be a Willys in Sarge Green, which is what I wanted anyway, so it was a match made in heaven. I really seriously got lucky on this deal.

I love it. The first thing I did after getting the Jeep home was go up this terrible unpaved road to a place that intersects the Appalachian Trail. I've been up there plenty of times in my truck. Taking the Jeep up there was a life-altering experience.

It's pretty crazy, really. I bought the Jeep as a second vehicle, a toy, and after taking it to one of my favorite spots, I started to actually think about selling my truck. I love my truck, but will I ever drive it again? Unpaved roads in the middle of nowhere are my happy place, and while my truck can definitely get me there, the Jeep just does it so much better. The manual transmission is only part of the story, but man is this thing SWEET!

My other manual-equipped vehicle is a 1977 Ford F350 flatbed with an Advance Adapters overdrive, making it the only 8-speed, 2-stick pickup truck I've ever seen. I love that thing, but it shifts like crap compared to the Jeep. The Jeep is just so buttery smooth and tight, I think it's even better than Dad's Shelby Cobra GT500. It's way better than my son's Subaru. I think this is the absolute best manual I've ever driven in my life. It's just awesome, and everybody who skips it for an automatic is really missing out on the best part of life.

It was funny. I make the money to pay for this stuff driving a Mack Anthem, and big trucks have had automatics for 10 years now. I hauled a load of Coke 260 miles one way non-stop tonight, and when I got to the bottom of the exit ramp, I was reaching with my left foot and right hand to put it in gear to pull out from the stop sign. Yeah, no, I only do that on my commuter vehicle, not my money making vehicle. It's been years since I rowed through the gears in an 18-wheeler, and more's the pity. I miss shifting gears, although the newest generation automatics actually do a good enough job that I don't lament that fact quite so often as I once did.

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR order cancelled; 2012 Wrangler
Anyone have a dead pedal or know of one for the manual transmission JL?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have a dead pedal or know of one for the manual transmission JL?
I don't think there's room for one, but maybe someone has one?

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed

Have you noticed any difference in driving behavior or power compared to pre-recall?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you noticed any difference in driving behavior or power compared to pre-recall?
I got the Y07 recall done last week. Zero difference.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No way recall Y07 changed any of that. My 2018 with Y07 (and many others who have newer models and got Y01) is exactly as it was before.

The software initates limp mode when temperature is calculated to be above the threshold. It does not reduce power under any other circumstance.

Edit: For anyone concerned by zgn’s comment, please read his posting history. He only got recall #1 done and the dealership (allegedly) damaged his drivetrain: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clutch-pressure-plate-recall.52018/post-1554414

Y01/Y02 (aka recall #2) will not affect the way your Jeep drives (unless the clutch slips and generates enough heat to trigger limp mode). I don’t love this “fix” and would greatly prefer new hardware, but I’ll take it over the (very slim) chance that my pressure plate comes apart.

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
So you took it in to fix something that was not broken? That might have been where you went wrong...
Sponsored