How to clean scrape off steel bumper?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
So some jerk hit my bumper in a parking lot and left a nice white scrape. Any way to buff that out?
I know the dent in the plastic part will require replacment. I don't see a way to bang it out.

IMG_4484.JPG
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Heat gun will pop the plastic out.

The scratch on the bumper depends on what happened. If it added material from the other vehicle to your bumper you can work it off. If it scratched the coating on the bumper you need to spray it down.

Did you get the jerks insurance?

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I noticed it when I came out of the building. Nobody was around. Didn't know you can spray a steel bumper. I guess Mopar has special paint for that?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Try this stuff. I had a few scratches on my mopar side steps from wheeling and someone recommended this. Couldnā€™t tell the difference if you didnā€™t get close and see the scratch indentations. Try it somewhere out of sight first to make sure it will match.

58610844-44FE-4442-B201-8FDFEB2E74C7.png

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bueno. Thanks!

Sponsored

CaliforniaWheelin'

First Name
Sullivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
Just leave it... itā€™s a Jeep šŸ˜‰ throw some Back to Black on there every once in a while and just keep driving.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
So some jerk hit my bumper in a parking lot and left a nice white scrape. Any way to buff that out?
I know the dent in the plastic part will require replacment. I don't see a way to bang it out.

IMG_4484.JPG
The paint is definitely damaged. Rubbing compound and elbow grease can make it look better, but not good enough to not bother me. It's an incentive to upgrade the bumper now though right?

I agree with the heat gun method on the fender. Just don't overheat it or it may deform worse than it is currently. Can most likely get it back to normal shape. I've performed the heat gun method on a JK plastic front bumper and it looked worse than your fender. Challenged several people to find it after I fixed it and zero people could locate the spot. Funny thing is my wife saw me fixing it and she couldn't find it later.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
On the plastic get air in a can and spray it upside down on it while itā€™s hot outside.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The paint is definitely damaged. Rubbing compound and elbow grease can make it look better, but not good enough to not bother me. It's an incentive to upgrade the bumper now though right?

I agree with the heat gun method on the fender. Just don't overheat it or it may deform worse than it is currently. Can most likely get it back to normal shape. I've performed the heat gun method on a JK plastic front bumper and it looked worse than your fender. Challenged several people to find it after I fixed it and zero people could locate the spot. Funny thing is my wife saw me fixing it and she couldn't find it later.
Ha Ha. no bumper upgrades. I got the steel, that's good enough for me. I'll rub it out and paint it. Hopefully it will look good enough. I think i have enough skills to do that.

I have no idea how to even get my hand in that plastic area to push it out. I guess I could google how to take it off??

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Ha Ha. no bumper upgrades. I got the steel, that's good enough for me. I'll rub it out and paint it. Hopefully it will look good enough. I think i have enough skills to do that.

I have no idea how to even get my hand in that plastic area to push it out. I guess I could google how to take it off??
That scratch is an opportunity in disguise. Use every excuse you can for upgrades!

Yep, you'll need to get that plastic piece off. Shouldn't be connected by more than some small screws.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Since it's steel, you can fix it. Just some elbow grease. Start with some really rough sandpaper, like 200 grit. Take it down to bare metal. If the metal is damaged, get an angle grinder with a flap wheel and grind it smooth. Then, use sandpaper to gradually smooth it out. 200, then 600. Sand past the scratch, in order to blend into existing paint. If you aren't 100% sure that the color will match, sand the entire bumper with 600. Wipe it down or wash it to remove dust.

Once you get the metal smooth, spray away. If it was body work, you'd have more to do. But, since it's a bumper, the spray paint finish should be fine.

Google paint body work repair and watch some videos.

I sanded and repainted some scratches like that on the fender of my 2017 Camaro prior to lease turn-in. I used an airbrush for paint application, and it turned out so well that the dealer never saw the damage.

Dgocin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl unlimited sport s
Try using the hot almost boiling water method and push from the back... I've done it on many plastic bumpers painted and non painted it does well ... just don't burn yourself!
Sponsored