Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
All:

Please explain something to me. If I decide to buy a Z Automotive Tazer why am I NOT buying a refurbished Tazer like this:

Refurbished Tazer Original

Ok. It isn't sold with the bypass module.

I already own a 12 Pin and 8 pin to ODB 2 cable. Is that what's needed to connect the SGW cables to this device?

And its refurbished? Z Automotive guarantees it.

And it isn't "pretty" because it's used? When married it sits behind some stuff under the steering wheel, not visible in the ODB 2 port. Who cares if its a little bit scuffed?

Does it have the same features as the Tazer Mini?

Why should I not get this and save money?

Thanks.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
All:

Please explain something to me. If I decide to buy a Z Automotive Tazer why am I NOT buying a refurbished Tazer like this:

Refurbished Tazer Original

Ok. It isn't sold with the bypass module.

I already own a 12 Pin and 8 pin to ODB 2 cable. Is that what's needed to connect the SGW cables to this device?

And its refurbished? Z Automotive guarantees it.

And it isn't "pretty" because it's used? When married it sits behind some stuff under the steering wheel, not visible in the ODB 2 port. Who cares if its a little bit scuffed?

Does it have the same features as the Tazer Mini?

Why should I not get this and save money?

Thanks.
Nothing wrong going this route as it carries the same warranty as new but one has to look at what features they are looking to utilize, Zauto has excellent support and the product is rock solid but compare it to say JSCAN and there is a huge difference is cost

Refurb Tazer $165

JSCAN license $22

With the above there are still a few things needed

12+8 SGW bypass cable $25
OBDII BT Module $25

So with that said this brings the cost to:

Refurb Tazer $190 ( Tazer + 12+8 SGW cable )

JSCAN $75 ( JSCAN license + 12+8 SGW cable + OBDII BT Module )

The above is pretty much the cheapest way to go unless you get the 12+8 cable for less from say Aliexpress.

As one chooses to make things more convenient by adding a SGW bypass module or a more robust OBDII BT module the cost goes up and JSCAN gets close to the cost of the Tazer.

Now also take into consideration what you want from the device you choose, there are pluses and minuses on both like JSCAN does not handle ESS in the same way that Tazer does, it does turn it off but there are additional steps to perform over simply changing a setting and then remote start is disabled, I’m sure there are other things I have missed but in the end you have to look at what you want from the device and then go from there.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I read all this and now my head hurts. Here's my plan: plop down $75 to do the JSCAN. If I can't get it to do everything I want, I'll have a scanner for other vehicles. THEN I'll pony-up the extra cash to buy the Tazer. I'm <eventually> getting a 4xe so I don't have to worry about the biggie: ESS.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I read all this and now my head hurts. Here's my plan: plop down $75 to do the JSCAN. If I can't get it to do everything I want, I'll have a scanner for other vehicles. THEN I'll pony-up the extra cash to buy the Tazer. I'm <eventually> getting a 4xe so I don't have to worry about the biggie: ESS.
The only thing I see when comparing the two for my needs is the Tazer handles ESS better than JSCAN, with Tazer you simply toggle that feature off.....not sure how Zauto addresses this but I’m sure it’s a patented program function on JSCAN would have adopted the same function.

JSCAN seems to be able to disable ESS but one has to disconnect a hood switch and then turn it off using the JSCAN app but I have never done this as I run a Smart Stop/Stop module for ESS and it’s flawless but I got a deal on the SSS module years ago and it was basically free for the review I did for the maker.

I have been using JSCAN for several things and simply love it, I don’t leave my BT module plugged in all the time I just make changes and remove and honestly one is not in there on a daily basis making changes.

If you are just looking at say tire size, TPMS limits or turning off TPMS, setting LEDS so you can run LEDS and not get errors and a few other things JSCAN is pretty cost effective, Tazer is much simpler and ESS on it is not as smooth but there is a huge cost difference even if one chose to get a Tazer refurb there is still a pretty big difference in cost.

I have used Zauto warranty and customer support and they are 100% solid and I have used JSCAN support and that’s done thru FB but it was pretty quickly resolved and it was actually something I was doing wrong.

In the end it all comes down to what features you want and both are excellent

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Saw a Tazer segment where the back-up camera would automatically come on with the turn signal. Thought that was a slick enhancement, but not a necessity. I didn't order the Mopar trail camera option either and was planning to add that which I notice Zauto also sells. Not really comfortable leaving my security gateway open all the time on any vehicle either. I remember a story from years ago when on-star first came out. Every Cadillac within 100 miles of (I think) Warner-Robbins AFB had their doors remotely unlocked all at once.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm putting this question out there because I don't understand.

By factory default, those 12 and 8 pin cables are plugged in, and if I've got this correct, when plugged in, separate the communications network of the vehicle into public and private spaces where hacking private spaces is difficult.

Making hacks, particularly in drive by wire setups that, crazy example, "switch the functionality of the brake and accelerator pedals," are difficult, but at some point after unplugging these cables and connecting a Jscan, Tazer or either product, vulnerabilities to the vehicle's private network are introduced?

What was the actual action that introduced those vulnerabilities (e.g. disconnecting these two cables, or maybe plugging them into a Tazer and keeping them plugged into one) rare as such hacks might be?

And again, while unlikely, is the would be hacker now communicating with your rig...wirelessly when the 12 and 8 pin cables are detached and possibly hooked up (married) to a device like a Tazer.

I think I understand that plugging stuff into the ODB 2 port will limit your access unless the tools are FCA proprietary ones for dealers. But isn't simply unplugged those two cables (and maybe being able to turn the vehicle on) getting around the security gateway?

Thanks.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Gee-pah when you unplug the 12 and 8 pin cables from the SGW you are circumventing the SGW and are vulnerable regardless of what device you are using, the OBDII port is just one access point so unless Zauto has something built into the mini Tazer the SGW is being bypassed if left plugged in all the time but the same goes for JSCAN.

I may not fully understand all it does but then mine has been bypassed for several months

Razvan_JLU

First Name
Razvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE JLUR
Interesting point on JScan - went to dealership with mods done via JScan - they said no problem to have them, but the software upgrades they performed on my Rubi deleted the mods I have done. So I need to do it again now :) Yey, rubbing my fingers again to reach the connectors.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Interesting point on JScan - went to dealership with mods done via JScan - they said no problem to have them, but the software upgrades they performed on my Rubi deleted the mods I have done. So I need to do it again now :) Yey, rubbing my fingers again to reach the connectors.

Hi Razvan:

It's generally accepted from prior posts here that the kind of changes that Jscan can do, (after which it is disconnected,) are things that both won't raise red flags with the dealer, and which will need to be reentered by the owner after the dealer flashes the vehicle.

As far as the difficulty of removing the stock 12 and 8 pin cables, perhaps you'd consider buying an extension cord for each (sold as one product,) which moves the point where you disconnect these cables to a much easier location in the vehicle to access.

By analogy, imagine the electrical outlet behind the kitchen refrigerator requiring use of its second plug (the first used to energize the refrigerator) on a regular basis. I'm sure we'd both agree that putting a one time extension cord back there with access in front of the refrigerator would make sense.

Here are two links: the first faster and pricier, the second slower and cheaper of just such an extension cord. You can order one sample cable from the latter.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...70.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.22113e5fUxE2CL

houdini764

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Awesome and informative post, thanks for all the easy info. Makes researching all this very easy.
That being said, I'm a complete newbie with all this so I could use some detailed advise.
I just got a 3" BDS lift and put 35s on my Sport S. I have basic stock lights and would like to upgrade to some aftermarket LEDs in the near future. Some quick questions.
What is the suggested OBD2 to purchase and whats the best website to go with? I was looking at the OBD Link MX+ which goes for $99 on amazon. Was gonna buy the extention cord and Z automotive Bypass module.
That should cover me for the basic functions no?
Like i said completely new at this and I appreciate any detailed advice i could get!

Edit: Also my start/stop funcion has been off with the battery charging notice since I purchased the vehicle used, is this something I need to look into getting fixed and then bypassed if I wan't to keep it off? Or is this something that is a non issue for Maintenance etc?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have basic stock lights and would like to upgrade to some aftermarket LEDs in the near future.
You don't need a programmer for aftermarket LEDs. Only time it's usually needed is when swapping in OEM LEDs.

What is the suggested OBD2 to purchase and what's the best website to go with? I was looking at the OBD Link MX+ which goes for $99 on amazon.
The MX+ will work without issue, but it is expensive. There are others listed for use with the JSCAN app on the web site. I use a Vgate iCar Pro. You don't need an expensive OBD2 module if you're simply using it with JSCAN.

Was gonna buy the extension cord and Z automotive Bypass module. That should cover me for the basic functions no?
You don't need a bypass module with an OBD2 module and the JSCAN app. You need a bypass cable like this.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on how deep your pockets are, you could go with a 12+8 cable for $25 and a $25 OBDII BT module and then pay the $22 for the JSCAN license and be done or you could get a Zauto bypass module and leave it plugged in all the time and then just plug your OBDII module into the OBDII port and not have to fuss with cables, the Zauto module is like $70

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Depends on how deep your pockets are, you could go with a 12+8 cable for $25 and a $25 OBDII BT module and then pay the $22 for the JSCAN license and be done or you could get a Zauto bypass module and leave it plugged in all the time and then just plug your OBDII module into the OBDII port and not have to fuss with cables, the Zauto module is like $70
@WranglerMan I recently changed from Sahara stock tires/wheels to a Rubicon stock tires/wheels. Do you think I should invest in a JSCAN to fix the tire size? Is this necessary?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan I recently changed from Sahara stock tires/wheels to a Rubicon stock tires/wheels. Do you think I should invest in a JSCAN to fix the tire size? Is this necessary?
If your overall wheel tire size changed like you went from a 33” tire to say a 35”-37” tire then your speedo is likely off, is it necessary to change .....NO

There are lots of guys here that will say get a Tazer, JSCAN or similar to set the correct size so your speedo and odometer track correctly but I ran months for my speedo off by 4-5 mph and I just made a mental note in my head, you could also go to the dealer and pay a one time fee to have them set tire size but it’s a one and done deal.

As I have said Tazer is rock solid and easy to use but it’s like 3x the cost of JSCAN so you have to look at what you want to change and if it’s just say tire size, TPMS limits then JSCAN is more cost effective IMHO

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
If your overall wheel tire size changed like you went from a 33” tire to say a 35”-37” tire then your speedo is likely off, is it necessary to change .....NO

There are lots of guys here that will say get a Tazer, JSCAN or similar to set the correct size so your speedo and odometer track correctly but I ran months for my speedo off by 4-5 mph and I just made a mental note in my head, you could also go to the dealer and pay a one time fee to have them set tire size but it’s a one and done deal.

As I have said Tazer is rock solid and easy to use but it’s like 3x the cost of JSCAN so you have to look at what you want to change and if it’s just say tire size, TPMS limits then JSCAN is more cost effective IMHO
I legit went from stock Sahara, to stock Rubicon wheels/tires..

I think it's slightly bigger.
Sponsored